Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#43126 11/14/04 01:39 PM
dc21 Offline OP
OP Offline

This may seem like an odd topic, but I am concerned about inadvertently plagiarising something that I have integrated into my knowledgebase thru the Photoreading process.

I would appreciate any comments especially from long term users.
TIA
Dave

#43127 11/14/04 01:54 PM
Learning Strategies Admin

If you can recite lenghty passages of someone elses work verbatim then you have probably got a photographic memory. This means you will know you are copying from another source.

The information that you PhotoRead is processed by your preconscious processor. Much of the imformation is split into compartments of appropriate subjects. You will have taken on the ideas of the author but in a moment of spontaneous activation you would find that it comes out in your own words with your own understanding of it.

If the stuff that you PhotoRead is for essays and papers then you will do a degree of manual activation anyway. It gives you the opportunity to credit the author.

If we all want to get nitty gritty about it then we could say we have plagiarised the Phrase "Just do it." However It was a phrase everyone heard one of their guardians say at some time or another as we were growing up.

So the length of the material also needs to be substantial in order to consider it plagiarised. I am sure that you would recognise when it isn't your writing.

Alex

#43128 11/14/04 11:31 PM

Using someone elses ideas but stating it in your words is also plagiarim. If you absolutely need to be sure u dont commit plagiarism use some software that will check it for u. else just read thru the whole subject matter and i am sure u will realize where citations are necessary.

mads

#43129 11/15/04 03:20 PM

quote:
Using someone elses ideas but stating it in your words is also plagiarim.

Only if you knowingly present the idea as your own.

It could still be your own idea. It's not uncommon for someone to reach the same conclusion about something in different parts of the world.

Have you ever noticed the bibliography of many publications. They list the books that influenced someones idea. Without reading any of their books you are inluenced by all the authors that person referenced and probably then some.

Alex

[This message has been edited by Alex K. Viefhaus (edited November 15, 2004).]

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved