Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

I have a keyboard and am going through books and such learning chords, notes, etc...is there a fast approach to learning an instrument such as this?

Direct Learning? Maybe PR some books on playing the piano? Anything else?

hehe the piano is an instrument i can not play but i seem to try it sometimes and im really quite good
other instrument i can play in about amonth quite well but piano it comes and goes

im a music person and would be in a great band if i could find one
guess thats why i get miserable sometimes after listening to music
cause the music isnt depressing
i just feel let down lol
my drum player and guitarist in the only band ive ever been in were killed in a car crash
best drum player ive ever seen and a guy with real heart in his guitar playing
Aaron and Ben the best two musicians ever
R.I.P.

i like piano in with guitars
ive always wished i can play it
i think its a very difficult thing to do well
without being a read music only player
i want to improvise and remember songs when im playing

good luck dude if i find anything out ill tell
hope you do the same for me lol

I'm going through this myself (in a very leisurely manner). If you wish to compose then photoreading music theory books may help some-especially if you fully activate them.
But the real thing with composing I've found, is to play with it. Really, keep trying to find chord and key scales that work for you.
Listen to piano music, really listen. Listen for how combinations of light and heavy notes are used, tempo and mood are expressed. Attempt with simple melodies to alter the "feel" of what you are playing.

If you are after more conventional music reading, then whilst PR'ing music theory and beginner's books will help on one level you are back to "practice, practice, practice". Also you'll still need to practice scales, appegios, on both hands. And chord changes.
Haptic or tactile memory isn't affected that much by photoreading-so teaching your hands, and your hand-eye connection (reading music) is still number one.

One other thing-if you are attempting to learn one particular piece (that's what I do-I find one that's not too hard that I really like), Don't sit there for hours in one sitting. Practice thoroughly for 10-20 mins at a time, then practice something different like a key exercise for a few minutes then break. stretch, walk etc. come back in half an hour or so. If you would do 2 hrs in one day-make it 4 half hour sessions-all through the day. Including one before bed if possible. You'll soon find certain times of day work brilliantly, others not so hot. Fit to your own daily mental cycle.
P.S With the above advice, you ought to know-I can barely read the base clef at all, and I can only slowly read the treble clef :-). I do play with composing and can do simple chords. So in other words, I'm no trained pianist AT ALL . So the above is my opinions only and other people here may be real players and have better things to tell you.

OP Offline

Prana, I'm very sorry to hear about your firends' tragedy. I know that must have been extremely hard to get through.

Karnautrahl, thanks for your very helpful advice. It is well received and I will do as you suggest. I have some new CDs I have recently purchased with lots of piano work to listen to and learn from. Also, your idea on frequent, yet short, practice sessions was very insightful as well.

Thank you both.

You are welcome Anthony

it was hard but it was a test of my strength
which came out on top in the end
i am thankful for everything
without the good i would not have the bad
and there are a lot worse off people that me
i think all do it tough

that is a great idea to do short but frequent sessions of anything
most things work great like that
something i forgot to mention

its best to grasp something to the fullest you can for thre moment and move on keeping it in mind because it is learn and comparing and working things with each other

getting in the habit of doing a little bit a few times is done by doing it consciously for a while then it is like automatic

i just pick up my bass guitar and play or forget im singing at times
music is pure emotion and the best of them is love
its the greatest expression i know of

OP Offline

Sounds good. Thanks Prana. Just pick up the instrument and start playing...that's kind of what I have been doing...just sitting down and playing spontaneously....a little at a time...either improvising or learning chords, scales, etc...

You've been very helpful. Thanks again!

I've been playing piano for about 7 years. I taught myself when I began, so I've always been pretty self motivated, but I started taking lessons a couple years ago, and I've really improved by means of technique. But pretty much, I think the best way to learn is just by playing it a bunch. Hit your basics hard, such as reading the music, the scales and chords, and a little theory. You can photoread theory books, and photoreading the music would make you more familiar with the song itself, but the only way to learn to play it, is by actually playing it.

i agree with knowing theory but not totally on knowing it well before you know how to play the music a little at least

like imagine moving to somewhere they played with quarter notes only knowing the western half notes

theoretically it would be harder to get through

but if you knew the sounds and had perfect pitch (which i m developing in myself and think that all should) then theory would seem to make more sense to you

my first ammetpt at theory was stopped cause i could see what it was getting at

the symbols of the reality.....

Yea, theory is hit pretty hard quite a bit, but I think it's a lot easier to love music, than to love theory. Haha. The difference is that music is an application. I'm very close to being perfect pitched, I'm about half a step off or so, but it has a lot to do with my voice. I sing in church choir and when I see a note, I have a memorization of how tight my vocal chords should be to hit that note. So that's why my pitch is pretty close to perfect.

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved