Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Igraz Offline OP
OP Offline

Due to excessive drug abuse and an unhealthy lifestyle, I had a stroke in 1993. Since then I have managed to rebuild a fairy normal life.. Meaning I can talk, read @ 250+ WPM, move properly, and remember things, etc... But since the stroke I have lost my ability to visualise things. When I close my eyes I no longer see anything apart from the light shining through my eye lids. The only time I see something with my eyes closed is when I stare at a light bulb, and then I see a colorful glowing blob in my head which gets smaller over time. But that's as far as I can go with it.

So I would like to know if I would be wasting my time trying to learn to photoread, since I have lost my innability to visualise stuff?

[This message has been edited by Igraz (edited January 05, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by Igraz (edited January 05, 2005).]

According to my research, yes you can...

'alpha waves
Alpha waves are oscillating electrical voltages in the brain. They oscillate in the range of 7.5-13 cycles per second. Because alpha waves occur in relaxed states such as meditation and under hypnosis, they have been mistakenly identified as desirable. Alpha waves also occur under unpleasant conditions and when one is not relaxed.* They are not a measure of peace and serenity, nor are they indicative of an altered state of consciousness. Alpha waves are indicative of lack of visual processing and lack of focus: the less visual processing and the more unfocused, generally the stronger the alpha waves. If you close your eyes and don't do any deep thinking or concentrating on vivid imagery, your alpha waves will usually be quite strong.'

'Alpha 8Hz - 14Hz Relaxed but alert '

it seems that you are able to still focus but be relaxed, thats all that counts, visualizing doesnt have nothing to do with pr except it HELPS you relax...drink tea or something, that outta do er...

Learning Strategies Admin

PhotoReading is a whole brain process and uses
all the brainwaves at one point or another.

The only thing that matters is that you can read. Since you can do that without trouble there is no reason why you cannot PhotoRead.

PhotoReading is not like speed reading which requires quick visualisation of what you read. PhotoReading allows the preconscious processor to sort the data. After PhotoReading we have little if any conscious recall of what we just PhotoRead. To bring the information up to bring the information up to the conscious mind we use activation techniques.

Like I said since you can already read without difficulty, at a faster than average speed too (average is now 190) there is no reason you cannot learn to PhotoRead. The only thing you might want to consider is, it might take you a little longer to learn due to the stroke but I don't see it as impossible for you.

Alex

Igraz Offline OP
OP Offline

Thankyou for replying back so soon.

I am extremely pleased to hear that I still have the ability to PhotoRead, even though I may find it harder to recall the information, than the average person on here. I do like a good challenge though, so I won't give up trying... I WILL succeed (eventually)!!

I was suprised to hear that my reading @ 250 WPM is "faster than average" speed. I always thought I was a little slow myself. lol

Anyway, I kind of got it into my head that photoreading was all about taking mental photographs of a page, just like with a digital camera, and then you simply look at the image inside your head when you close your eyes, and you can zoom in & out of the image, etc... But now I see it's a completely different appoach, and this makes me very happy.

Btw, I have 2 programs called "Brainwave Generator" and "Brain Sound Studio". Do you recommend I use them before I start my PhotoReading sessions? And if so, what's the best frequencies to get myself into the "Learning" & "ACTIVATING" states of mind?

hmmm interesting
when i was saying about reading good before going to do speed reading and enhancing my mental speed and imagery you tryed to tell me to shut up basically

not having a go at you Alex but whats different?

i learn to read at 200,000 words a minute then move to PR - reading whole pages at a time - then what was i doing wrong by saying this

and you also said i was not helping PRers by saying it

this just confused me on your position

i can only see benifit

im reading at over 2000 WMP right now and i must say ive been slack with it some days

i can't go around in theta all day and photread the world to enhance my view on the world why not do it naturally and ease myself into it when i need?

i kinda get what you are saying about pre conscious getting the info but ive not yet seen how what i was doing was no use to me

i guess its a money or competative thing?

the thing is that you have given me no reason to stop what im doing and pick up PR yet

i see it as a progression
and if we are stuck in bad ways of reading and that makes us not so good at making the change to PR then why not be a good reader so that you can move easier without all the restraints of a normal reader

japans average is 500+ ive heard

You referring to your post on Image streaming?

Image streaming is something else again it does not use the same parts of the brain.

PhotoReading is NOT reading at 25,000 word a minute

It takes 2 to 3 minutes to PhotoRead the average book.

I PhotoRead over 90 books in one visit to a book shop.

Read the PhotoReading book and learn what PhotoReading is before you make these silly speculations and giving everyone false information about what PhotoReading is.

Stay on topic or I will be forced to delete your posts when they do not contribute anything constructive to the discussion.

Alex

[This message has been edited by Alex K. Viefhaus (edited January 06, 2005).]

you have done the same thing to me again

what should i expect

how am i off topic?

i do not know if ill take part in discussions here

it is either conform to you opinions or get deleted

i ask a question that does not get answered i ask it again

i believe that speed reading helps with visual perception
for art and general awareness and also mental imaging

i never said it was better than photoreading ro that photoreading was reading

why is it that you deny this?
if there is something wrong with that then do tell

you just said that it involves different parts of the mind
so infact i cannot see that pr is whole mind

i think all these things are nessecary thats all

explain if im wrong
don't need to get impatient and tell me you going to delete because it does not fit you model

maybe i want to speed up my conscious mind not just letting my unconscious or preconious do it all

quote:
Originally posted by Prana:
i believe that speed reading helps with visual perception
for art and general awareness and also mental imaging

No research has shown that speed reading improves visual imaging.

The topic is whether it is a waste of time for Igras to learn PhotoReading.

Your post comment about your opinion of speed reading has nothing to do with the topic.

quote:
i never said it was better than photoreading ro that photoreading was reading

My point was that the topic is PhotoReading... which only goes to show you are off topic.

quote:
why is it that you deny this?[quote]

Where is ther denial in my post? Aside from telling you that PhotoReading and Speed Reading are nothing alike and do not compare. But if you read the book you would know that.

[quote]if there is something wrong with that then do tell

I did tell you your post was off topic.

Different *Parts* Parts in plural means more than one. I did not say 'a different part' (implying only one part in each in each instant.)

quote:
i think all these things are nessecary thats all

How does that relate to the topic?

quote:
explain if im wrong
don't need to get impatient and tell me you going to delete because it does not fit you model

I warned you that I would delete your post are off topic. Why?

Because it only confuses the discussion. I've had people asking me in MSN because of your post whether they should be seeing mental pictures from the words on the page while PhotoReading.

To clear that up for anyone else who is wondering about that now.

No. During the PhotoReading step you gaze at the pages with a soft focus, Say the chant, and turn the pages. If you are trying to image stream while you are PhotoReding you are turning on the conscious mind which whill turn off the non conscious processing of the information.

quote:
maybe i want to speed up my conscious mind not just letting my unconscious or preconious do it all

That is a subject of personal interest to you and has nothing to do with this topic. Start your own thread.

Alex

[This message has been edited by Alex K. Viefhaus (edited January 06, 2005).]

lol
ok i always get off topic somewhat ill give you that
thats who i am
you do not like me either way it seems
but that i care little for
i like you all the same

when did i say that i was image streaming while photoreading?

im not so sure that i did

i just think that two skills are more useful that one

opinion is opinion sure

and i do not think ill start any new threads cause they do not get answered

and i can prove right now that images can be better with faster reading
-hieroglyphics
we may not use them but it is a function of the brain that is there
its all symbols to me

and i found this on a site
Decades of research have proven that getting students to create visual images before, during, and/or after reading is a viable way of enhancing comprehension (Douville, 1999; Fillmer & Parkay, 1990; Gambrell & Bales, 1986; Peters & Levin, 1986; Pressley, 1977; Sadoski, Paivio & Paivio, 2001; Williams, Konopak, Wood & Avett, 1992).

and comprehension increases again increases reading through confidence
surely more research also

hmmm someone didnt check thats ok
i trust my intuition does not mean you have to

im not trying to say one ius better than the other but im just giving my opinion on something that may be helpful for some people

why not increase both sides of the consciousness?

just delete the thread since i posted in it
it's not my fault if people get confused just as much as i cannot be your fault if i am right?

this place is far too much into limitations on the mind (i believe) for people who are trying to remove them

sorry for offering my opinion

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved