Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline

This message I sent via email to AlexK, but I now realize that I may get some additional helpful suggestions by posting it here. Plus, maybe someone in a similar situation to mine will find benefit from the answers. I appreciate any advice:

As you know, I've been dabbling with PhotoReading for a while now, and although sometimes I am able to let it work very well for my purposes, I am still "Oscillating," as Paul Scheele calls it in his Natural Brilliance book, between being successful with PhotoReading for my needs (especially in school) and reverting to the old sound-it-out-and-I'll-be-sure-to-have-ok-comprehension method. I am hoping that you may have some insight (intuitive or otherwise) to help me to feel /secure/ with my developing ability with using PhotoReading activation techniques.
I'll do my best to label the main obstacles I'm "Notic[ing]" now:

1. Belief that I'm not going to get the same comprehension from reading quickly as I will from slowing down. This has manifested in my Superreading/dipping being more like superdipreading (it's slower than it should be and I'm only just learning to make dipping a /different/ action than the superreading). This belief also makes me hesitant to "PhotoRead everything" as Paul suggests in the PR book. Unfortunately, my most common results definitely confirm this belief so far. But I know that if I can change it, I can open to allow myself to get the comprehension I desire.

2. Needing more practice. I know the PR method. I have gone through the book (slow-reading) many, many, many times by now. The method's not the issue anymore, though please feel free to correct anything that I may not be doing optimally :-) With more practice I'll also have a better intuitive sense as I superread, and thus, more accurate dipping, and thus, better comprehension. I've been practicing much more lately as I've overcome some fears of PhotoReading, and my dipping already /is/ more accurate -- just not accurate enough for me to have confidence in it. For the Superreading, I'm still afraid to stop paying much attention to the words and to start focusing more on internal sensations because in my experience, that's never produced great results for me.

3. A third major obstacle used to be active reading, but I've become much, much better at that with practice. However, the habit of questioning as I read is still a habit I need to reinforce and improve.

4. I learn and perform very easily through auditory pathways. I've always been good at acting, debating, grammar, and writing. I thought this was the best way for reading for me, too, but clearly that's untrue! My visual pathways for reading are far less developed as far as I can tell, though I am becoming a better visual learner and visualizer every day -- with practice. Often what I dip into I end up subvocalizing (very quickly, and often skipping words) and that slows me down and takes away from the rhythm. In fact, come to think of it, maybe that's why I feel that when I read more quickly, I miss things; I'm still trying to hear what I read even though I think I'm trying to see the meaning, and when my subvocalization can't keep up, it skips words...

4.5 [added] The old method of reading and hearing the words just plain seems more enjoyable to me for most types of reading still, even when I know PhotoReading activation would be far more efficient. Yet I know that activation can invoke more of my mind, so I would have expected to find activation more pleasurable than subvocalized reading.

5. The last obstacle I'd say is that most of my reading necessities are school-related. I am not so emotional about school as I used to be, but the fear of not doing well in school that's buried right under the surface may be hindering me as I seek to integrate into my habits and have success with a different reading technique.

For the sake of thoroughness, I'll tell you exactly how I PhotoRead now.
1. Preview if I feel it'll be helpful for probably 1-2 minutes. I'm noticing, not writing down trigger words at this stage. I ask ask questions mentally to arouse my curiosity.
2. 3-2-1 one breath in if I feel that I don't need to or have the time to take longer to relax, or about 1:30 at more leisurely times.
3. Seeing and feeling myself in my nice, relaxing, passive scene, either with my eyes open or closed, I say to myself or outloud, "As I PhotoRead, my concentration is absolute. All that I PhotoRead leaves a lasting impression on my inner mind and is available to me. I desire this information from (for example): These two chapters of my economics textbook in order to know these economic facts and theories to prepare for class and so that I can apply them and get my highest possible passing grade on upcoming tests on this information.
4. Notice the white of the pages, PhotoFocus, "Relax, *turn* relax, 43 *turn* 21 *turn* relax *turn* relax *turn* keep the state *turn* see the page *turn*
5. "I acknowledge all feelings evoked by this experience and release this information to my mind, body, and the universe for processing/to be processed. I'm curious as to the different ways in which I'll notice that this information is available to me (and supports my goals and purposes).

Activation
1. Place tangerine back and above head.
2. State purpose for activating this (e.g.): "I desire this information from this chapter (21) of my economics textbook in order to prepare for class today (and so that I can get my highest possible passing grade on upcoming tests on this information)."
3. I look over and flip through the material while thinking of questions to ask. OR I ask them based on something I may have mind mapped or been unclear about during the last activation pass. 4. I then flip back tot he beginning of the chapter if I feel there's some stuff there that I still need to clarify and ask a combination of the questions I just formed mentally and new ones that come up logically as I go. E.g. I see this term and I wonder "What does this have to do with the previous concepts?" or, "How can I best/easily remember this formula?" So, during this, I'm superreading and dipping. But sometimes I regress into old reading habits, especially if something's not clear after the 2nd activation -- then I feel that it's not working and I can't wait any longer to know the information so I use the old reliable method. But then I usually speed up again once I'm done. But I still feel like I can't dip as quickly as I'm supposed to (rhythmic perusal) and still get comprehension as good as when I read slowly. This my be a main problem area.
5. I finish spending no longer than about 28 minutes, usually more like 20-25.

I've tried skittering as well, but it makes me feel very uneasy as the lack of normal reading order of circular motions or zig-zags. I feel this way because I feel that I'm not getting much comprehension -- only a word or two here or there which I hear subvocalized in my head very quickly. And unfortunately, my experience has confirmed this fear. Lately I've often skittered through something (as many as 3 times) and then gone back to read it slowly and found I really understand the article or chapter or e-mail much better, more specifically, and clearly.

So, I'm presently stuck, and I'd really like to get out of this insecure place :-) My old reading habits are reliable (give me consistent, good, satisfying comprehension) only when I read very, very slowly, subvocalizing. I can read more quickly now while aiming to not subvocalize, but rather, to see the meaning, (speed-reading) but I find I'm not able to consistently get the meaning of more than a few words at a time. And miss stuff, some of which ends up being important to my purpose.

I have on final dilhema to share, and that is that I'm still unsure of what to do when reading assignments are given to read only part of a book. Should I still activate the whole thing as normal, or just spend less time and more layers at one sitting activating that small part?

I PhotoRead everything I receive as reading material, but currently, I am using PhotoReading /activation /steps only for the subject of economics in school (my text book and the book, _Fast Food Nation_). In my experience, thus far, it has helped me greatly with history text books, but has been disasterous and confusing when I've tried it on (novels) or more complicated, less repetitive non-fictional reading. For everything except economics, and some periodic low-risk experiments in other classes, I go immediately to either reading or more rapidly reading. I wouldn't necessarily call it RapidReading, for that technique of rhythmic perusal I have not yet mastered.

Over this winter break, I PhotoRead four books on creativity and I activated each of them to my satisfaction. It involved about 2 layers each, and I mind mapped some of the useful gains I'd received from them.

I PhotoRead a Princeton Review for the SAT book and astounded my SAT tutor by immeditately thinking of the exact word that was the correct answer for three consecutive practice questions (she says no one she's had has ever done that before.) I noticed that I really didn't care about whether I came up with the right answers for those or not, and I think that's part of a key to allowing the PhotoRead knowledge to flow. I feel that PhotoReading my math text book several times has helped me to more easily absorb the material and have it come naturally to me (though I tried what in Paul's experience has been a flawless suggestion and PhotoRead my math text one night when I as stuck, and it didn't really unstick me!) Sometimes my dipping makes the answer to what I'm asking immediately simple and clear to me. My ability to read faster without subvocalization and to see meaning instead of hearint it has definitely increased, especially after a time when I've superread and dipped a lot and well.

But I've only gotten fragments of what truly having reliable access to what I've PhotoRead can be like. My obvioius success list is unfortunately, still much shorter than my obvious failures list. So I must be doing /something/ wrong. There's something stuck and I don't want it to be an even longer and painstaiking process to release it.

I see myself being very happy with the learning attitude and abilities that PhotoReading will give me once I am unstuck. I look forward to reading fearlessly, actively, and with all my senses immersed and involved. I am no longer bashing myself for not having caught on earlier :-) I know not only know, but also believe that every person is unique in the amount of time he takes to learn anything. But I still want it to be faster for me, as you can well understand!

Any wonderful spontaneous ImageStreams or intuitive insights are greatly appreciated.

Cameron

P.S. I've recently been learning the (older) Silva Mind Control Method the slow way -- through following the book by Jose Silva. In another week or two I'll have finished training my mind to enter the Level by counting down from 5 to 1. Right now I wake up every morning and count down from 10 to 1, and it's a very noticable state shift -- much more noticable and definite than I've gotten through any other relaxation techniques, including Paul's 3-2-1. I've experimented a bit with using the 10-to-1 countdown during the day for affirmations, and I've had very encouraging and immediate results. So maybe there's a little bit of programming (affirmations or visualizing?) I can do for myself to help this process along?

Learning Strategies Admin

I finally found youe email in my hotmail account But I decided to reply here.

Since you are having successful activations as well as unsuccessful ones notice what is going on. Chances are when you were successful you had a clearer purpose and knew what you wanted from the book.
Looking at an example you gave

quote:
"I desire this information from this chapter (21) of my economics textbook in order to prepare for class today (and so that I can get my highest possible passing grade on upcoming tests on this information)."

Say the subject of the chapter. If you ignore that and use that as an all purpose statement you're not really telling yourself what you want to know. So notice what the chapter heading is about and note that is the subject you are going to learn about.

It is important when you are reading and activating to remember what you are reading and activating about. If you are vague (using the passive reading approach) activation and learning will like putting together a jig saw puzzle without the picture on a box. Not impossible but very difficult to make a sound start. So make that mental snapshot of what the subject is about when you state your purpose.

Subvocalisation
Superread and dip more. This will reduce unnecessary subvocalisation. Some is still necessary for thinking and aiding memory so so it has it usefulness, especially in analytical thinking.

Activation
Instead of falling into the habit of wanting it all in one reading of the book or one activation pass. Set a timer 20 minutes is good and activate whe whole chapter or book in that time. It might seem impossible but do it anyway. Get in the habit of doing another activation pass and then another and another. The knowledge you build with each pass adds to long term memory and builds comprehension. If you want to succeed with PhotoReading I recommend that you err on the side of too many 20 minute activation layers than too few. It helps to build the confidence. builds the body mind connection and helps you reach a point when you can recognise that you have activated enough.

If you really want to get to the point of feeling comfortable and at ease with PhotoReading.
PhotoRead 3 to 10 books a day. The PhotoReading step on those books for 2 to 3 months.

Apply all the steps to at least one of those books each week. By that I mean on one of the books you will apply the five day test model each week. If you want me to say it differently. Do the 5 day test on one book a week for 2 to 3 months. You can include your school books in that. You've reached a point that you should be doing that with your textbooks anyway. Of course you may not need 5 days to fully activate a chapter and you amy even be able to activate 2 or 3 chapters of a textbook one one of the days of the five day approach. The idea is to follow the 5 day test model on any books that you want to fully activate.

Alex

OP Offline

Thank you very much for your reasonable and helpful reply, Alex. I have the courage (and enough experience to back it up) to follow the plan you say now. I would like to clarify a few small details, however, so that I can best use my time.

1. If I really don't want to (either consciously or if I just have a lot of sublinimal resistance) read something that I've been assigned, how can I develop a meaningful purpose that motivates me through it? Is it as simple as making the purpose clear, subject-oriented and also stating long-term reasons I want this (to keep up with my school work so that I can both get better and have more free time -> so that I'll have the best choices of colleges open to me)? Or is that too elaborate?

You are quite right to say that not having a clear enough purpose has been an issue for me -- creating a purpose filled me with great fear in the beginning -- I've been caught between making the purpose as true and exact as possible and not spending 10 minutes on it! I don't know exactly why I've had such a resistance to active and clearly purposeful reading, but at least I already see my progress in this area. I am more in touch with why I do things now, but it took a while to build that seemingly simple awareness. The simple suggestion of a subject-oriented purpose you gave is a key to a quantum leap for me, definitely.

2. Do you suggest that I PhotoRead each of my text books as often as possible (nearly daily?) Are there any indicators I should look at such as if I'm having an easy or a hard time in the subject? I ask this because as a human being, my time is limited, and I'd rather use that time I'd be PhotoReading to activate or Mind Map stuff unless repeating the PhotoReading step over and over again on my text books is really going to help me.

3. Should I bother to activate parts of text books even if reading within them has not been assigned to me? For example, math, where the text is used mainly for the problems it has within it for homework.

4. Should I get it in mind that eventually, I'll be wanting to superread/dip all of my school reading materials, including novels? I have had MAJOR resistance to this because thus far, regular reading has been much more enjoyable (and comfortable) for me, and thus, it was hard to sustain motivation to continue activating them. Also, I am supposed to read everything analytically, annotating comments, literary devices, notes, and realizations in the margins. Could I eventually do this with PhotoReading? Or would I want to do a few activation layers, then go through Rapid Reading and slow down where necessary to write stuff down, analyze, and accomplish what I'm supposed to be doing for English class?

And also, I'm wondering about the reading section of the SAT. Though I tried sr/dipping in the beginning, recently I've been using slow reading (after PRing, of course) to gain the comprehension to answer the MC questions on practice SAT tests. Is it as simple as me deciding to switch over to activation instead of reading when I have the confidence to do so?

I'll spare you any further questions. Thank you so much for your help, Alex. I'm not sure why this has brought up so much fear for me -- still! Perhaps part of me is still not ready to have stable, lasting success with reading and school?

CameronJ

OP Offline

One more question: For AP Economics, I also have a book which accompanies my textbook and provides lots of questions and chapter summaries. Might it be a good idea to use answering some questions as part of the activation process? If so, when? After I feel confident that I know the info because I've done enough activation passes, or beforehand? And I probably ought to be PhotoReading this book frequently, too?

I am interested to hear your suggestions, but of course, I know that I'm the only one who can really decide what works best for me.

CameronJ

quote:
Originally posted by CameronJ:
Thank you very much for your reasonable and helpful reply, Alex. I have the courage (and enough experience to back it up) to follow the plan you say now. I would like to clarify a few small details, however, so that I can best use my time.

1. If I really don't want to (either consciously or if I just have a lot of sublinimal resistance) read something that I've been assigned, how can I develop a meaningful purpose that motivates me through it? Is it as simple as making the purpose clear, subject-oriented and also stating long-term reasons I want this (to keep up with my school work so that I can both get better and have more free time -> so that I'll have the best choices of colleges open to me)? Or is that too elaborate?

Can work But the problem I sense with a more free time purpose is you can get that by NOT starting on it in the first place.

A purpose that builds curiosity is stronger. Like I'd like to know more about the subject of this chapter, While you were sleeping, to discover what the brain gets up to while asleep so that I can pass on any useful information that might help with learning.

quote:
You are quite right to say that not having a clear enough purpose has been an issue for me -- creating a purpose filled me with great fear in the beginning -- I've been caught between making the purpose as true and exact as possible and not spending 10 minutes on it! I don't know exactly why I've had such a resistance to active and clearly purposeful reading, but at least I already see my progress in this area. I am more in touch with why I do things now, but it took a while to build that seemingly simple awareness. The simple suggestion of a subject-oriented purpose you gave is a key to a quantum leap for me, definitely.

Purpose is 'that which you are doing right now which is one part of moving you towards your goal'

For Example Getting into a decent college is a subgoal and a purpose toward a career. If the subgoal isn't a strong enough motivator consider what excites you about your projected career choice and recognise that your purpose is leading you toward that.

quote:
2. Do you suggest that I PhotoRead each of my text books as often as possible (nearly daily?) Are there any indicators I should look at such as if I'm having an easy or a hard time in the subject? I ask this because as a human being, my time is limited, and I'd rather use that time I'd be PhotoReading to activate or Mind Map stuff unless repeating the PhotoReading step over and over again on my text books is really going to help me.

Just PhotoRead the whole book once, (although once a day for a week or two at the beginning of the semester and then 2 weeks prior to an exam doesn't hurt). Then PhotoRead the chapter you are activating just prior or as part of the activation. Now if you feel you are struggling with a chapter or book then do PhotoRead it again. You might even allow a short 20 minute incubation rather than struggling with it.

quote:
3. Should I bother to activate parts of text books even if reading within them has not been assigned to me? For example, math, where the text is used mainly for the problems it has within it for homework.

Follow your muse, curiosity and intuition on that one. Sometimes a nagging in your head to look at a different part of the book can help solve a current problem that is giving you problems. I don't consider it necessary but I do consider it important if I get the slightest inkling that I should have a look at it. It doesn't need to be long 3 to 6 minutes might be enough.

quote:
4. Should I get it in mind that eventually, I'll be wanting to superread/dip all of my school reading materials, including novels? I have had [b]MAJOR resistance to this because thus far, regular reading has been much more enjoyable (and comfortable) for me, and thus, it was hard to sustain motivation to continue activating them.[/b]

Novels you may always want to slow down and rapid read. Getting the other have to reading out of the way makes time for that. To do that superreading and dipping will be something you enjoy because the payoff is so big.

quote:
Also, I am supposed to read everything analytically, annotating comments, literary devices, notes, and realizations in the margins. Could I eventually do this with PhotoReading? Or would I want to do a few activation layers, then go through Rapid Reading and slow down where necessary to write stuff down, analyze, and accomplish what I'm supposed to be doing for English class?

School teaches it backwards. You definately should first get an overview, become familar, look for details and then analyse in that order. So used 2 to 3 activations with superreading and dipping before you pick up the pen for the analytical read. You will use the pen for mind mapping with activation but you will notice that when you come to the analytical stage you connect to the important details and know not everything is important as it first appeared.

quote:
And also, I'm wondering about the reading section of the SAT. Though I tried sr/dipping in the beginning, recently I've been using slow reading (after PRing, of course) to gain the comprehension to answer the MC questions on practice SAT tests. Is it as simple as me deciding to switch over to activation instead of reading when I have the confidence to do so?

It is a confidence thing and learning to know when you need to slow down. Trusting your mind to know that the answer is there that it has already recognised it it just needs to bring it to your conscious awareness so you can consciously recognise it.

quote:
I'll spare you any further questions. Thank you so much for your help, Alex. I'm not sure why this has brought up so much fear for me -- still! Perhaps part of me is still not ready to have stable, lasting success with reading and school?

Fear = False Expectations Appearing Real. We all know well and we each learn to handle it. usually by just not thinking about it and just doing... to see what happens if...

quote:
For AP Economics, I also have a book which accompanies my textbook and provides lots of questions and chapter summaries. Might it be a good idea to use answering some questions as part of the activation process? If so, when? After I feel confident that I know the info because I've done enough activation passes, or beforehand? And I probably ought to be PhotoReading this book frequently, too?

Definately PhotoReading it and use it. It shows you what you need to know or learn in form of questions. The resource is there so use it.

Alex

Hi Alex,

I have a question about 'purpose'.

You and Paul said,' I am going to do ...., so that I can....' For example, for photoreading, most ppl would say to 'absorb info quickly and be able to apply to ...' But Paul told us to chunk up and chunk up to 'have a fulfiling life' and so on (according to Natural Bri Book).

However, I just feel that what you said was right, that's really our ultimate goal. But for my study on stats, my PR purpose is to know the contents of the notes on the first step. Stating such a 'long term goal' sometimes make me lose my track.

What do you think?

First step to what? Purpose is just a step to something but what?

Alex

First step to comprehend the materials and to solve the problems assigned by the professors. If I state my purpose,'to get A in the exam' in the first place', I would seem to lose my track.

To get an A in an exam is as redundant as your "first step"

Why are you bothering with the material at all?
That's your purpose.

Without getting clear on your purpose you'll wind up procastinating, because you have no motivation to learn. Your mind will ask, what's the point of all this? If you have no point why do it?

What is your reason for studying? That's your goal and your purposeful steps along the way are merely actions you are taking to reach your goals. Knowing why you are doing it is your motivator.

Alex

OP Offline

When activating [u]Fast Food Nation[/u], I'm still going too slowly to cover 300 pages in 20 minutes. I get through more like ~100 :-( Because I'm no longer on the first activation, however, I've directed my focus to where my curiosity takes me instead of intending to 'get through the whole book without worrying about comprehension.' In this case, however, I've gone chapter to chapter later on in the book (because previously I only activated the beginning few because I ran out of time -- again, obviously not going quickly enough). I'm going down the pages quickly -- I'd say about 3-18 seconds per page (depending on how much I'm dipping). However, I also spend some time going back to the table of contents to review what I've done and have to do so that I can form questions for SR/dipping.

Is the main mistake here not having written out a postview? Or is it still thinking of reading as a sequential process? Or should I simply be speeding up my SR/dipping or dip less?

I'm asking for your insights so that I can figure this out more quickly :-)

Thanks for all your advice so far,
Cameron

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved