Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

I started PR about six weeks ago. I saw small signs that PR works with the dictionary game and a book about an upcoming coming holiday destination. It were small signs, nonetheless, it showed it works. More or less like learnig to ride a bike. I still have a picture of me sitting on a bike and crying, because my parents kept pushing me to learn how to bike. Of course I have no problems whatso ever to ride a bike for many many years. That helps me to convince myself PR will work for me big time in the near future.

Well, the question what I do want to ask is that I photoread dictionaries and grammar books of the serbian language. I can ask myself a few questions of course, but it is hard to use a mind map on these book to activate it. How do I tackle this ?

The same problem goes more or less for computer languages, altough I find it easier to activate it via a mind map. I am still looking for the big time achievements, so I just keep on practicing a lot.

I just photoread two dictionaries, a grammar book and a book for pleasure book all with clear purposes.
Are there better activation methods than the mind mapping technique for these kind of materials ?

Kind regards,

Rade.

Learning Strategies Admin

You don't activate a dictionary or grammar book as such. If the grammar book has exercises asking you to fill in the correct grammar then that's the activation. If the books you have don't do that find some exercise books in the langauge that you are learning or developing and do the exercises. Further activation is using the language and classroom activation if you are studying it formally.

Mind mapping as part of activation is pulling the information together so you have a method for reviewing and seeing what you got from the book. It is not the only method of activation.

Activation consists of , Mind probing, superreading and dipping, skittering, image plus anything that you find brings your mind into bring forth the information from what youv'e Photoread.

This can come from other books, image streaming, freenoting, free mind mapping (mind mapping your thoughts about the book before manually activating with superreading and dipping) the possiblities are endless.

Alex

[This message has been edited by Alex K. Viefhaus (edited March 10, 2005).]

OP Offline

Thanks for your answer. It is very helpful.

Upon till now I only focused on the first three steps and less on the activation steps, besidedes asking myself questions and creating mindmaps. I was unaware how this process is to be followed and the importance of it.

I will use the activation methods you described more actively and I am curious what it will bring me in the future.

Again, thanks for your answer.

OP Offline

Alex, I have another question, this time about trigger words. Sometimes it is not enough for me to write only the trigger words, but I make small, more meaningful groups of maximum three words. Is this as fine as well ?
What is the purpose anyway of these triggerwords. Are they just there to formulate questions or do they have another purpose ?

Kind regards,

Rade.

Trigger words start to get the mind to become an active participant in the reading process. It helps to switch you out of the passive reading habits. I strongly recommend that you pull trigger words from the books you PhotoRead. And write them down. When you become more skilled you will notice the trigger words and don't always write them down. You will still go back to using trigger words if the book is important and needs to be activated in detail.

Alex

OP Offline

Thanks for your response.
Still, only triggerwords are mentioned. Can I use small groups of maximum three words as 'trigger words' as well or is this wrong ?Sometimes a single word is not meaningfull enough for me.

Trigger words are trigger words. They count even if they are next to each other and it's cool that occasionally 2 or 3 words combined create the mind probing question because they are meaningful together.

Take a playful approach, you decide if you want to count the group as one word or as two or three words. Just avoid making 'all' your trigger words groups". It means you're slowing down to much to passive reading.

Alex

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved