Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

I am writing just to get confirmation I am doing this right. I have a large, technical computer book which I wish to photoread. My purpose is to understand the core principles in each section so I can apply them to my current job. In some areas, I need to focus more on detail than others.

The way I am photoreading such material is to first start by having a general purpose, photoreading the whole book, and then coming back to activate only certain sections at a time - I would be here for sometime if I wanted to activate the whole book in one sitting. Each time I activate, I define my ultimate purpose for that activation sitting, which will typically be different to the original statement of purpose when photoreading the actual book. During activation, I again preview/survey the section I am to read along with my trigger words, and then formulate questions (I havent done a postview, because that would mean I have to postview the WHOLE book surely?) Once I have my questions I super read and dip, potentially rapid reading certain sub-sections.

What I am finding is that I ultimately end up reading almost all of the section through super-reading, dipping and rapid reading, which is probably because I am new to photo reading, and I *feel* I need to read more in the text.

Any comments on what I am doing so far would be appreciated.

Thanks

K.

i would suggest use flash cards. and study the traditional way. even if PR gets all info into ur subconscious, in a real life situation ur recollection frm the sub cannot be the same as ur conscious. maybe if given choices ur "gut" might tell u what is right becoz u PRed it. but for actual real life situations i suggest u get memletics and apply the techniques in it!

OP Offline

What are flash cards?

Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

Computer books like textbooks it's best to treat each chapter like it is a book in itself.

PhotoRead the whole book and then do a 30 minute activation of the whole book. It gives you a better idea of the books layout and the topics it covers you won't learn much from that activation. But will become more familar with the book.

When activating a chapter PhotoRead it again, include two chapters before and two chapters after the selected chapter. Then activate with the usual mind probing questions, the first activation may include the trigger words for this chapter. Build your knowledge in layers. Don't make the mistake of trying to get it all in one sitting.

If you fully activate a book until it gels you will have the same or better understanding of that book that you normally get from elementary readking skills. And you get it in 1/3rd or even 1/5th or 1/10th the time.

Mind map and you use more of your own mind to create a lasting memory. Review the mind map frequently. First week you should look at it daily and notice anything that you've forgotten you can quickly refresh your memory. Then review weekly for about 4 weeks then move to reviewing monthly. Make sure you review all your mind maps starting two weeks prior to an exam. You'll find you are much better prepared because of the reviewing and it takes less than 3 minutes to review a mind map.

Alex

OP Offline

Alex, thank you for your reply.

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved