Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#43939 03/19/05 03:10 AM
OP Offline

I'm a bit puzzled by the reported demo Pete Bissonette performed in a university. In that amazing presentation, he photoread a copy of the patent law, projected onto a screen that flashed a few pages per second and scored 70% on the subsequent test. He didn't have time either to preview or to postreview the material in anyway. Nor did he have the opportunity to make any mind-map or jot down trigger words. Basically, he did not do any of what the PR book/course teaches.

How did he do it? Are those preview/prepare, etc. steps really necessary? Or is there anything left out from the typical PR material?

[This message has been edited by WestJohnson (edited March 18, 2005).]

#43940 03/19/05 10:06 AM

The way I understood it was that Pete was good enough at Photoreading to not need to do that stuff. He probably had practiced the techniques so much that he didn't need those extra steps to help with the activation phase. The questions he was asked probably acted as the activation step for him.

This has happened to me before as well, but not as profoundly as Pete's example, of course.

I went to a bookstore to look for a book on procrastination. I found the one I was looking for but I wasn't sure I wanted to buy it. I sat down with it and Photoread, hoping to get an idea of whether or not I really wanted to buy the book. When I started my postview I got really interested in the material and did an activation right there, no incubation period, nothing but PR and activation. I figure I got through the 200+ page book in about 20-30 minutes. I drove home and made a mind map of the material.

The whole situation struck me as funny since it was a book on procrastination.

#43941 03/19/05 12:49 PM
Learning Strategies Admin

Nothing is left out except the human being doing the PhotoReading. Pete has repeatedly said, 'if you want to do what I do you need to PhotoRead a lot. PhotoRead at least 3 to 10 books a day for 3 months.'

When he PhotoReads a book he natually affirms his intention, he does a preview or postview and he has a purpose. Being an active reader, inding trigger words becomes second nature when you naturally use the PhotoReading system. You don't have to always write them dowm but all the steps are there because they strenghten the body mind connection that Pete so easily demonstrated.

The fast way to get that body mind connection so you can do what Pete did. PhotoRead 3 to 10 books a day and activate at least one a week for about 3 months. Activate that book using the guidelines give for the 5 day tests.

Nothing hidden but you have to be willing to do the system as it is taught until it feels natural. The like Pete, Preview, Entering the Accelerated Learning State, Purpose and affirmations are all done as if they are not there. But they are, they take a lot less time than you think they have to take as you are learning the steps.

Alex

#43942 03/19/05 05:21 PM
OP Offline

Thanks for both replies above. Here's another thing I'd like to get your thoughts on.

It appears that PR is a technique for rapidly processing and retaining information that is relevant to you, since your PURPOSE essentially defines your scouting scope from a book. In other words, PR is effective and efficient fishing tool for qualitative information, but it may not be a tool for accurately, precisely and quantitatively processing and retrieving information. What if your purpose is just to memorize or photo-capture (in its true sense) the whole thing (like a play of Shakespeare) for whatever reason (e.g. the beauty of the language)? Would PR help and how in that regard? Is there any study or experience in that area?

Many good books, especially great works in literature and philosophy, can not to be digested right away. We often do not know what exactly we want to get out of them. For example, if we just need a basic idea about Plato's book, we could just quickly read a review or commentary instead of reading the original one. We read the original to understand his reasoning, analysis, among others. We often don't know exactly what we may or wish to get--as that PURPOSE changes as our understanding about it improves. However, we do want to read and permanently store that information in our brain so that we don't have to go back to read it over and again. What would PR help us in accomplishing that?

#43943 03/21/05 07:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Alex K. Viefhaus:
PhotoRead at least 3 to 10 books a day for 3 months.'
Alex

Should they all be different books, or can you photoread the same book more than once?

Thanks

#43944 03/21/05 09:56 AM

Variety is better. If you only have the one book at hand to PhotoRead then you can PhotoRead it ten times.

Once you've activated the book there is no point in PhotoReading it anymore. Another reason for variety is that it gives the mind something to play with. If you always use the same material you are just going to use the same neural pathways.

Alex

#43945 03/23/05 02:14 AM
ked Offline

quote:
Originally posted by Alex K. Viefhaus:
Variety is better. If you only have the one book at hand to PhotoRead then you can PhotoRead it ten times.

Once you've activated the book there is no point in PhotoReading it anymore. Another reason for variety is that it gives the mind something to play with. If you always use the same material you are just going to use the same neural pathways.

Alex

I'm a bit confused by this, because I photoread the Photoreading WMS book often, thinking it will aid me in continuing my growth with Photoreading, even though I have read (activated) it several times. Am I wasting my time? What about other books, such as anti-procrastination or other self-help books, should I not bother photoreading them either if I've activated them? Because when I try to read 3-6 books a day, I often PR many books I've already activated, even if one or two are new that I would like to activate within the coming weeks.

#43946 03/23/05 03:28 AM

Alex, what is the five day plan that I should be using to activate my books?

#43947 03/23/05 05:17 AM

If you're photoreading 3-10 books a day(in order to get better at photoreading), do you have to activate them? Or will your photoreading skill improve by just photoreading without the activation step?

#43948 03/23/05 07:04 AM
ked Offline

quote:
Originally posted by inmyownworld:
Alex, what is the five day plan that I should be using to activate my books?

page 77 of the PhotoReading book (I have edition 3). It's in the Rapid Reading section and is a good way to start using the system

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved