Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#44024 03/28/05 09:35 PM
OP Offline

Has anyone had any experience or know of anything regarding using the accelerated learning state with audio? I would love it to help get guitar parts from songs, but there are of course many other uses.

Just wondering if there is any precedent.

Thanks.

#44025 03/29/05 04:13 AM
Learning Strategies Admin

Check out the Genius Code. Fast Finish. Unlike PhotoReading, listening does add to the time because it's harder to get to the right point for activating what you need. You wind up listening to the whole thing.

I found that transforming a 1 hour recording into a 10 prelistening made it easier for me to follow and comprehend what the speaker is talking about but it added 10 to my listening time and time it took to make the recordings.

MP3 work ok since I can "pre-listen" at 5 times the normal speed simply by using windows media player. It adds 1/5th to the listening timbe but in a way it beats the need to listen to a recording twice.

Alex

#44026 04/01/05 02:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Alex K. Viefhaus:
... I can "pre-listen" at 5 times the normal speed simply by using windows media player. It adds 1/5th to the listening timbe but in a way it beats the need to listen to a recording twice.

Alex

Alex,
How did you get variable speeds on the Win media player? I looked and could not find the capability.

#44027 04/01/05 05:50 PM

Why not try this at a much higer speed x 16 is the higest on my player?But why not make it much much faster?
I couldn't follow it consciously much past x 2. Does one get used to the speed?
I tried it yesterday and could pinpoint the place needed to answer my question?

with Media Player 9 , go to View , Enhancements , Sglike Speed options.

Do u think it would have good application for learning languages?

#44028 04/02/05 03:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by chris25doyle:
with Media Player 9 , go to View , Enhancements , Sglike Speed options.

Do u think it would have good application for learning languages?

Thanks for the info, Chris. I have version 10, but the coordinates you gave are the same. There's this whole area of functionality I didn't know about.

Now to experiment with speeding up audio sources!

#44029 04/02/05 03:55 AM

I found 8 times was the best for me. Faster than that I seem to have no real benefit when listening to an audio presentation. It was as if I was listened for the first time and had no real connection to the information. After listening at 8 times I did have the feeling I've heard it before and was game to hit the fast forward button without fear of missing to much. Useless to try fast forwarding on a CD player with an anti shock delay since they take some seconds to reconnect the sound.

Windows media player has a little button at the end of the slider with >> click on that 3 times and it lets you speed up the playback up to 5 times. Saves hunting for the playback speed option and you might want to try it at this speed which I think you can notice something with. At the faster speed it seems to become harder to see any point. I think the benefits are rather obscure so why add even 1/16 to the listening time? In an hour recording that's adding 3.?? say 4 minutes when you consider that you physically have to start the recording a second time at normal speed.

Most people can listen to a recording while doing something else but when they start speeding it up to say 2 times then they have to sit back and concentrate on listening.

Prelistening at superfast speeds might prove more benefical to people who have difficulty listening while doing something else. If adding 5 minutes to the overall listening time allows them to be working on something else while listening then there is benefit.

This is one area where the experience is purely subjective you can only try to check it out for yourself.

Alex

[This message has been edited by Alex K. Viefhaus (edited April 01, 2005).]

#44030 04/02/05 01:06 PM

Yep Alex.
A question for you , can you gradually learn it follow it consciously at around x5 normal speed?

I just tried it yesterday and the day before. It is exactly the same principle as photoreading. Admittedly when I photoread a little slower, I sometimes get better results. For single projects , it tends to work better too. Probably an increased focuis I guess.
Photoreading seems to work well for Italian, I watch the news and sometimes understand quite a lot, whether that can be attributed completely to a knowledge of French and English , I am not sure.
I let you know how it goes.
Is there has anyone considered research one this? Potentially it could have greater application than photoreading as far greater speeds could be obtained.

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved