Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#44234 04/21/05 08:46 AM
Cremio Offline OP
OP Offline

Last night I was photoreading the legendary book called 7 good habits by Stephen Covey for the first time and my purpose was/is to assimilate the 7 good habits in my life in order to utilize my own full potential.

Before I felt asleep I remember that I was thinking about being more proactive (a term from the book), what it means and how I good advance in general.

This morning I had the word Pareto on my mind. I knew I had seen it before. After a while I went to the index of the book I PRed the night before and there it said: Pareto page 145, and I went to the page. And suddenly I remembered, it is the guy who defined the 80/20-rule. Covey used the rule when scrutinizing the 3rd habit. Quite fascinating since it deals with moving on to tasks of a more preventing nature. At the moment I have some deadlines and when I finally have time I do completely unecesarry stuff like surfing the internet to long. The chapter of the 3rd habit is about avoiding these non-activities.

But for the rest of the book I have some questions to you guys. Should I have a goal stated for every session of activation? I find it rather difficult to have goals stated for every session of activation. The other day when I was activating a technical book about economy I was planning to have goals stated for every session, but I forgot about it since it was rather difficult. I have not got the book gelling yet (done about 6 sessions of activation), and that made me wonder if I should have goals stated for every session.
But what should the goals of the sessions be like? "I expect to become more aware of the book this session" ?

When activating I normally come up with questions. Sometimes I know I have found the answer, but the answer may be so techinal that I have to dip in to almost 2 pages. Is that a problem? And if the answer brings up another question and another and I have to be reading maybe 4-5 pages, should I chose to go on and find new stuff and eventually come back to it when I have layered more? I am afraid of reading too much, it would almost become like regular reading and that is not the point of super reading and dipping. But it also seems that it is what it takes to fully understand the answer to my question.

[This message has been edited by Cremio (edited April 21, 2005).]

#44235 04/21/05 03:48 PM
Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

If you don't have a purpose why activate? It can be the same purpose for each session until you feel that you've been filled or got everything from the book that you need right now.

when dealing with technical stuff it is easy to get pulled into analytical reading too soon. That might be why you sometimes dip 2 pages. The trick is to pull away just before you know everything and remember if you need more you'll wind up getting a mind probing question and think of the answer or superread and dip that section again. It's still faster to superread and dip a page 3 times than to have one long dip that last 2 pages. Remeber clarity comes in layers.

Alex

#44236 04/21/05 04:25 PM
Cremio Offline OP
OP Offline

quote:
Originally posted by Alex K. Viefhaus:
If you don't have a purpose why activate? It can be the same purpose for each session until you feel that you've been filled or got everything from the book that you need right now.

when dealing with technical stuff it is easy to get pulled into analytical reading too soon. That might be why you sometimes dip 2 pages. The trick is to pull away just before you know everything and remember if you need more you'll wind up getting a mind probing question and think of the answer or superread and dip that section again. It's still faster to superread and dip a page 3 times than to have one long dip that last 2 pages. Remeber clarity comes in layers.

Alex

Well I do not always have specific purposes for the sessions. I have my general purpose for the book and I have some questions for the session.

I just did a session of activation and my goal for this session was to know what I need of the 5th Habit in relation to my purpose. I asked myself: what do I need to know from this chapter? What is important? After a few minutes a word popped into my head and 2-3 pages later the word was a subtitle. I dipped and found some interesting things that actually answered my question.

[This message has been edited by Cremio (edited April 21, 2005).]

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved