Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#44253 04/24/05 09:57 PM
Cremio Offline OP
OP Offline

I am now about to move on to Paul Johnson's History of the World from 1940-80 and have been thinking about my purpose.

I just PRed the book and my purpose is: I desire the information in this book so that I can fulfill my goal of becoming knowlegdeable about history. I would like to know what you guys think about this purpose. So what do you say? I could ask myself why do I want to become knowlegdeable about history, but I cannot come up with a better answer than that I think it is cool to know much about history. It is like why do you play soccer? Well, because it is fun.

Sometimes on this forum when people are having troubles defining their purposes they are asked how much time they are gonna spent, how important it is, what they want to do with the material, how many details do they need to know.

In my case I like history and I just want to know more. But I cannot exactly say what I am going to do with the information.

Furthermore, in the future, would it be ok to state that I desire 80-90% comprehension of the book? And what is 80-90% comprehension at all? I know that people are warning to "want all the information in the book", but how can the mind understand what 80-90% comprehension is? How is that the mind understands that you want only that much and not more or less?

#44254 04/25/05 06:34 AM
Learning Strategies Admin

I suggest.

I desire the information in this book so that I can add to my knowledge of history for the period from 1940 to 1980.

If your love of history(or a subject) is strong enough it is a fine purpose when your purpose is to expand that knowledge base.

However if you were studying history and you don't exactly care about history (or the subject) then building a knowledge base as purpose often isn't motivating enough to get you to activate the book with solid mind probing questions. Your real purpose would be to get thought the exam with a good passing grade or statisfy another outcome or goal.

Alex

[This message has been edited by Alex K. Viefhaus (edited April 25, 2005).]

#44255 04/26/05 05:23 AM
Cremio Offline OP
OP Offline

Furthermore, in the future, would it be ok to state that I desire 80-90% comprehension of the book? And what is 80-90% comprehension at all? I know that people are warning to "want all the information in the book", but how can the mind understand what 80-90% comprehension is? How is that the mind understands that you want only that much and not more or less?

#44256 04/26/05 12:48 AM

I've think you're a bit confused with this percentages thing.

Your goal should be to get 100% of whatever you want!

It's been said that as little as 10% of a book actually holds 100% of what you need!

quote:
I know that people are warning to "want all the information in the book", but how can the mind understand what 80-90% comprehension is?

No no no, not 80-90% comprehension, they mean 80-90% of the physical book.PR plants the info and activation and purpose direct you to find what you need.Go with your feelings, experiment, trust your mind.

They're warning means "get away from the need to memorize every word"

Don't confuse reading everything in the book word-for-word 100% with 100% comprehension.

The opposite is true, in fact, and this is what the paradigm shift is all about.

Nobody is saying that you should be wary of attaining 100% purpose fulfillment.
That would be ludicrous!

We want you to get everything you need!

[This message has been edited by flex22 (edited April 25, 2005).]

#44257 04/26/05 04:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Cremio:

Comprehension is the level of understanding that you desire and need from the book.

Why set a limit to the comprehension you are going to get on the information you need or desire? You don't need the whole book especially if you have it already from other sources but whatever you collect from the book to build do you really want to limit it to 80 - 90% if it is relevant to you?

Alex

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved