Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Often I get my triggerwords from the table of contents, so when my time for previewing is up I only previewed the toc of the book, so I didn't take a look at its structure. Is it better to take a look at the books structure as well even if I feel I got all the triggerwords I need ?

I think the TOC itself gives a good picture of the structure in any books. I look at the TOC when I pull out trigger words, but I also search the Index (if there is one).

Christo

This is the way I see things.

Find trigger words from TOC first. Then find trigger words from chapter titles, and section titles. If each section has their own sub section, find trig words from those sub section titles. Do this progressively until there are no more sub section titles from which to pick trig words.

Second, use all the trig words from TOC, chatper titles, section and sub section titles, and try to connect them together to form a logical hypothesis regarding the main idea of what you are reading. Then try to hypothesize how each sub section fits into the section, and how each section fits into the chapter, and how each chapter fits into the entire book.

Third, you can begin to dip read the paragraphs themselves to pick trig words. But be sure to keep in mind where that paragraph is. The paragraph might be located in a section whose main idea u guessed is about xxx. Then you pick trig words with the purpose of finding out how the paragraph is talking about xxx.

To summarize, it is possible to pick more trig words from paragraphs rather than just TOC. But to do that, you have to have some ideas what the chapters and sections are about. To have an idea of what the chapters and sections are about, you use trig words picked from TOC, chap and section titles. Then you try to guesss the main ideas. Having done that, you keep these main ideas in mind, and dip read to pick more trig words from individual paragraphs.

Hope this helps

Learning Strategies Admin

You'r doing yourself a disservice if you think the only objective of a preview is to collect trigger words. You miss out on seeing the authors writing style, whether s/he uses jargons or a lot of techical words. Whether there is any cues for emphasis. Whether the information is shown accompanied by charts, tables, diagrams, or Photos.

The table of content is also a limited selection of words from the book you miss out on pulling words that help you establish a purpose and mind probing questions relevant to your purpose, not the authors. You also miss on dumping the book if it irrelevant to your study or purpose.

If you preview for 8 minutes open the book and pull trigger words. Otherwise skip it and do a 12 minute postview where you pull trigger words and develop mind probing questions.

Alex

OP Offline

Thanks, this was the answer I was looking for. Of course another question pops up, but I am sure you don't mind.

Do I have to write down the mind probing questions as well ?

You don't have to write them down. For some people when they write them down they start getting the answers from their minds.

If you do have a mind map and wrote your trigger words on it you have review of what your purpose or focus was at a later date.

Alex

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved