Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#44281 04/28/05 06:51 PM
ked Offline OP
OP Offline

I just wanted to post and let everyone know how well Mind Maps have been working for me, and to encourage those of you who don't use them to start!

Each term of study I feel like I get to know the PR system better. So far for everything I read I mind mapped after each pass and felt comfortable with the overall ideas. The lectures became so much easier and interesting because I would understand the big concepts before getting to class. I also couldn't believe how a couple passes for a 40 page article would fulfill my purpose.

Then I mind map all of my class lectures. While other students are scrambling to get the prof's exact words, I listen for the main ideas and jot them down. The funny thing is that it is always awkward taking a class with people I don't know and mind mapping. I whip out my three different colored pens, and the other day someone actually took my notebook away from me during class to understand what I was doing. Someone even called me a social deviant because I do the mind maps. So sometimes it's obnoxious getting the attention.

But today I had a test over all of the lectures and readings, it was a comprehensive essay test. The past week I've just been going over my mind maps for about 15-30 minutes and talking about the concepts with my friends. I couldn't believe how information flowed from my pen this morning when I looked at the questions because I seemed so familiar. Yeah, I missed a detail here or there that I didn't empahsize in my mind maps, but overall I think it was successful. I even felt guilty last night because I was not stressed out and had spent what felt like hardly any time studying, haha.

So the point is that I was not always a mind map lover, but it's amazing what they can do the more you get used to them, apply your own style and use them.

#44282 04/28/05 07:10 PM

I always love inspiration, so thanks for the post ked, really appreciate it

lol, when I started my last job, we had an induciton course.We were given notepads and pens and asked to make relevant notes.
Hardly anybody bothered at all, but I did a few mind maps.
This girl was looking over at me scribblign away, she ahd a really puzzled look on ehr face, thinking:
"what on earth is he doing"

So yes, I know how you feel about the social deviant thing.People will think you're a swat or a do gooder or whatever for being active whilst they're being passive sheep.Just ignore it, simple as.

Personally I've never been able to get into mind mapping.Vera Birkenbihl actually says in the Memory Optimizer course that mind maps aren't really suited to some people.I must admit that made me feel a lot better about myself, because the general feeling up until I heard that was that "if you can't mind map, there's something wrong with you, snap out of it"

I must admit that attitude really get's my goat, and it's how Tony Buzan (the so called developer of mind maps, which I find a little odd seeing as though this technique is probably timeless!) comes across as this all-knowing "now if you only did this, don't you know the genius would just flow out, you just need to be shown how"

Well he and everyone else will just have to excuse me, because nobody knows me better than myself.

Sure I will try mind mapping again.lol, I already have tons of paper and felt tips and crayons ready to be used.
I'm sure there is some benefit, I really do, and like ked has suggested, I will concentrate more on my own personal style rather than falling into the trap of "doing it right!"

Thanks again for posting ked

#44283 04/29/05 06:09 AM
Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

Ked,

Well done. I'm glad you've demonstrated for yourself how useful mind mapping is. I'm sure that the mind maps have developed and continue to develop your personal style.

Flex,

Vera points our that it's easier to find answers and remember things when you put limits in place. That's where analograffiti comes in and a good way to get started with mind mapping.

As with mind mapping you have a topic in the center.

Example - Journalism,
With Mind Mapping you need to decide what to anchor to the word with the stems.

With Analograffiti you have to take a letter from the word and anchor a concept using the letter.

This mean with Mind mapping you have an infinate number of ideas to make a decision about when it comes to adding.

Analograffiti narrows down that infinte selection once you find something that links the decision is made

I suggest playing with analograffiti to get a grasp of Mind Mapping.

Alex

#44284 05/11/05 06:08 AM
ked Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi all - So I received my grade back after confidently taking the test and believing I did so well, and received a C. Now I'm not too upset because grades were low in general, but I'm frankly confused. I think I will speak with the professor about it - but do you think it's possible my mind maps were too broad? I focused on connecting the main themes between the readings and the class lectures and I think I might have not mentioned enough specific examples in the test, even though I clearly understood the overall themes. This is what frustrates me about the grading system - I can talk about the subjects in great length and really enjoy learning the material (development in sub-saharan Africa - quite interesting), but it's dissapointing to be evaluated poorly. Another thing I'm thinking is that maybe I need to improve my writing so that I can express my ideas more clearly? Presently, I can definitely express my ideas better verbally than written. Does anyone have suggestions for books to read on improving writing?

#44285 05/11/05 09:49 AM

PR is a great method to get an overview about something quickly so that one notices the connections between different things and sees “the big picture”. Still, many tests require very specific knowledge. I myself am taking part in an entrance exam of university in June and that exam requires both managing the whole and the details.

I guess the answer is to have many activation passes. First you do the basis and then you complete piece by piece, as building a house, so to speak… I myself am preparing to the exam so that I PR the books every now and then, I attend to lectures and do exercises. I have a full-time job so I have time to study only in evenings and weekends.

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved