Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Well, it's summer again, and school's out. But I'm already thinking about how I can act now to help make this upcoming school year even easier than the last one. For the last half of last year, I kept mind maps instead of linear notes for all of my classes except for AP Calculus and AP Spanish. I fiound them quite a help. Plus, they totally built up my ability to easily and spontaeneously use the technique for my benefit.

However, that was all confined to 8.5x11 Letter-ized paper. Many of my maps ended up getting cramped, and I would have preferred to have more easily viewed lots of information instead of habing to make new mind maps for similar information. The freedom of larger formats of paper is much to be desired, as Tony Buzan argues, but I have yet to find any means of implementing this in an organized way.

My question: How can I obtain a larger (and hopefully larger than just 8.5x14 legal-sized) binders and the appropriate hole-punched paper? There must be some way to obtain the right equipment! However, I'm wondering if it will fit in my backpack...

If you don't know how this would be possible, do you seasoned Mind Mappers have any other suggestions as to how to use the more limited size of paper in a more unlimited, free way?

Thanks,
Cameron

P.S. AlexK and anyone else who's seen me around before: I have a few other projects that I'm progressing nicely with now other than PhotoReading. In fact, I have temporarily given up PhotoReading because I was stretching myself too thin with new techniques I was learning. Additionally, feel that only recently, as part of improving my eyesight, have I started to relax sufficiently to allow the PhotoReading process to work for me and to persist with it. But within a few days, weeks, or maybe a month or two, I'll begin PhotoReading and activating per the current suggestions for becoming proficiient at it and making it a real habit. I'll also be calm enough to select books that I'd like to read, bt that I don't HAVE TO (fearfully) read because my life (or future) seems to depend upon it ;-) I'm glad I chose to stop because trying always trying to s.r/dip or rapid read my materials without ever getting consistent, thorough recall was really making me feel like I couldn't read and recall well at all. I've been reading at a slow pace that gives me good comprehension and enjoyment, and it's fine for now, though it could get tiresome during school if not improved.

But to improve it is exactly what I intend to commit to do just as soon as I am truly ready.

Cheers.

Learning Strategies Admin

Consider artist type sketchpads with spiral binders. I've noticed there is a size in the US that is larger than legal but smaller than A3 I found this to be the perfect size when I took my classes and I used markers. If I would have used Gel pens I would have had even more room on them. You can take the mind maps out of the sketch pad, hole punch the shorter side and fold the excess in.(It would fit in a fools cap folder that way or can be moved into your normal folders without excess overhang.

I think you'll find PhotoReading easier with that attitude you chose to develop. It's always easier if you allow yourself to play and see.

Alex

OP Offline

Gel pens, eh? I have never loved markers (bulky, get on your hands), so I'll defintely try using colored pens this year instead. The only drawback is the ability to make thick lines without repetition is lost.

If such a sketchpad will fit in my backpack, that's great. I'm thinking then that I'll map out notes for 1 week and then tear the pages out and binder or folder them (and maybe even review them) on Friday. I've grown to rather like the convenience of the 3-ring binder, but it sounds like for this purpose, it would be awkward for long-term use because of the folded edges involved. Am I wrong about that? Ideally I will find some type of binder -- so that can review it quickly like a book, whereas, a folder obscures its contents unless you take them out, putting the sheets out of order :-/ I would love to find a 3-ringed binder that could actually fit the larger sketchpad sheets. Foolscap seems to be a British and Australian term and product. It can refer to several different sizes according to answers.c.om, so I'm a bit unclear, Alex, as to exactly what setup you are suggesting. Additionally, I'm not sure where to look for an equivalent to a skullcap here in the U.S.

Alex, can you please describe your exact system that worked well for you with mind mapping stuff you needed to learn information? I'd like to understand the details such as how often you tore mapped sheets out of the sketchpad, how long you used the organization system, maps were to keeep organized, to transport, to review, and to archive.

In the meantime, I'm still unsure about what supplies to look for. The sketchpad is no problem. The appropriate binder is. If you have enough time that you could provide links to U.S. sites for the products, it would be greatly appreciated! I just want to find a system that works for me which is not limiting because of small size, not so gigantic that it doesen't fit in my backpack, not overwhelming to organize, and convenient enough to review from easily :-)

Thanks,
Cameron

The sketchpad was 11 1/2 inches by 13 inches. It would fit the most common backpacks (the reason I used that one and not an A3 pad). You can get a ring binder that holds A3 page and plastic sleeves. But this is too large for carrying in a backpack so I wasn't keen on it.

I left the mind maps in the sketch pad which meant that I reviewed by default, every mind map until I found the one I wanted. I could have made it easier by attaching colour coded postit flags for subject and even given them a topid header.

By punching the shorter side you can put it in a standard binder While folding doesn't sound like a neat option it's actually a useful one. You can expand on the mind map, list likely questions, add comments for review on the blank back. Use it as a self test for revision before looking at the mind map. You can also flag it with postit flags with a short heading to locate the mind map you want to review quickly

Actually I remembered the foolscap size because I came across it in an office supply store in Laredo. It's an imperial size rarely used anymore here in Australia. Staples and Office Depot are the suppliers I'm most familar with. There I bought the Sketchbooks and Gel pens. The thinner markers are fine you can use them on the side but consider highlighers as an alternative to a vast marker selection. You can use the 5 colours during a review for grouping information if you decide to stick to one colour pen.

Alex

OP Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Alex K. Viefhaus:

By punching the shorter side you can put it in a standard binder While folding doesn't sound like a neat option it's actually a useful one. You can expand on the mind map, list likely questions, add comments for review on the blank back.
So you mean I'd put it in the binder first, mind map in class using only the non-folded space, and then open up the folded space later and use it? How could this be used as a self-test exactly? Wouldn't it be to cramped of a space to be very useful? Are you suggesting jotting down notes, self-test questions, or mini-mind maps on this space?

With the highlighters you mean to purchase a 5-pack of different colors and then maybe use a black pen and highlight separate branches using unique colors?

Thanks,
Cameron
P.S. What have you been doing with the Silva method lately, especially considering your training to become an instructor?

Keep it in the sketch book while working with it. Use the full front. You won't draw on the back of the page. When you file it you put it in a binder, punching the left edge. Fold the right edge towards the rings so now the blank back is available for notes and comments about the mind map

quote:
With the highlighters you mean to purchase a 5-pack of different colors and then maybe use a black pen and highlight separate branches using unique colors?

Yes, that's a working idea.

Silva Ultramind ESP System is another topic

Alex

OP Offline

quote:
Originally posted by Alex K. Viefhaus:
Keep it in the sketch book while working with it. Use the full front. You won't draw on the back of the page. When you file it you put it in a binder, punching the left edge. Fold the right edge towards the rings so now the blank back is available for notes and comments about the mind map

Ahh, ok. Makes perfect sense.
quote:

Silva Ultramind ESP System is another topic

Ah, Alex, ever the organized one -- you won't even let me go off-topic! ;-)

Thanks for your advice. I'll let you know what I end up buying and putting together.
Cameron

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved