Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
niko Offline OP
OP Offline

Can i use Direct Learning to study martial arts by using a practical manual for aikido ,for instance, by photoreading it?Will i be able to use the technics in a life threatening situation?

It would be best to use Direct Learning for things you will learn in class so you can have the results of your projects verified in real time. I've had better results myself with using the New Behavior Generator for specific techniques and Deep Trance Identification for the "feeling" of specific masters. If you are into Imagestreaming the techniques Putting on Heads and Borrowed Genius would work. I also used a Paraliminal, Instantaneous Personal Magnetism, to model an instructor's attitude and that alone had great results.

Do NOT try modeling or direct learning of a martial art and expect it to automatically work in a life or death situation. You need to practice the skills physically, especially against a resistant attacker. A lethal attack is not the time to find out whether you really know the skills or not.

For serious defense I'd also suggest another art. I study a lot of things but if I had to suggest one art to an untrained person it would be Eskrima or another Filipino or Indonesian art. They are the best arts for learning to deal with weapons that can be learned quickly, and the vast majority of real-life assaults involve weapons.

A more important skill than fighting is awareness. If you are a good fighter but are hit with a baseball bat from behind, for example, your skills did you no good. You need both situational awareness skills and the "sixth sense" type skills to have effective awareness. The video "Safe in the Street" by Mark MacYoung (www.paladin-press.com) shows how attacks really occur and how criminals choose their victims, invade their personal space, catch them off guard, and attack. IMO this knowlege is more important than knowing how to fight.

I am a Martial Artist, with a black belt in Tae Kwon Do and working on my brown belts in Shotokan (Midwest) and Goju Ryu( East Coast), depending on which coast I am on. Most relevant is I have survived several deadly street encounters in my younger days in a rough New York neighborhood and presently protect my clients from violence, in rough inner city neighborhoods.

I find I can use PR for MA, the same way I use PR for calculus, anatomy, and/or physics assignments.

You have to do the hands on work to analyze and identify things, but PR makes getting through the theory and readings easier.

I have been in MA for over 30 years and grew up in a very very rough neighborhood and really find Marc MacYoung's works to be realistic and among the very best. Also Richard Heckler, George Leonard, and Kristie Kilgore have great works to PR, if you don't have time to really digest and read then carefully. Mr. Heckler and Mr. Leonard specialize in Aikido! Richard Heckler has worked intensively with urban street gangs, Green Berets, and Navy Seals Units, and gained the respect of such diverse groups! Last but not least, Kristie Kilgore is a real practicing bodyguard with black belts in Tae Kwon Do, Hawrang Do, and Gracie Jiu Jitsu, but with a great loving heart and Christian background, and understands real life and death encounters.

To answer your question
YOU CAN NOT LEARN MA from just photoreading alone
but photoreading and direct learning make it so much faster.
Actually, I tried a new technique, I had photoread only
and while doing free sparring (randori), recently,
I found myself using the technique by INSTINCT!

Would that work in a real life or death encounter?!
I don't know? I hope I never have to find out.

Good luck,

[This message has been edited by raleigh199 (edited July 27, 2005).]

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved