Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#45031 08/10/05 04:39 AM
Ciro Offline OP
OP Offline

I've read that PRers using Adobe Acrobat use a setting to advance to the next page every second... I use a mac and macs have this handy program called preview. It lets me open PDFs and if I click on the starting page and hold down the 'page down' key it will keep advancing just fast enough for the text of the page to pop up, then it goes to the next page. I would say it advances through 20-60 pages a second.
With this I could PR thousands of pages in minutes... Each page does show up, and it doesn't form a blur, but is this advance rate too fast?

Learning Strategies Admin

I've noticed that Acrobat will look like it's displaying every page but it doesn't. The software can move through the pages faster than the monitor can write them so you wind up getting random hits.

So 60 60 pages per second is too fast for any computer or monitor that I know of. You might actually be seeing only every 4th page at best. When you preview a book you open to pages at random. If Adobe has the same concept of preview then you are definately skipping pages.

I find tapping fast works best because it has to load the page for each tap. The fastest recorded rate was 35 pages a second; that works out 693,000 words a minute.

If you're PhotoReading 60 pages a second you're PhotoReading 1,118,000. I don't know of a computer monitor that has a refresh rate capable of displaying the test that fast.

Alex

What about 1000 pages book.
How you tap with this kind of book?
You will destroy your keyboard after few books!

Adobe Acrobat can change 1 page per 1 second automatically with full screen view.
You don't have to tap.
[Edit-Preferences-FullScrean-Advance every 1 second] then you press CTRL+L and get PhotoFocus.

But this is to slow, and 35 pages/sec is to fast because when you blink (and you need to blink) you will lose some pages.

So, do you know for any software (like Adobe Acrobat) for Windows which I can setup to change pdf page faster then 1 page/sec?

I want to find optimal spead for me, but with Adobe Acrobat I can only set 1 page/sec, and if book is 1000 page that's almost 15 min.

Try holding the page down key and letting go every 5 pages woth.

My old slow computer was good. I held page down and it drew the pages anyway and stopped when it reached the memory limit. So I had to release the key and hold again. I found holding the software does a catch up at some pointbut hold release hold release works fine.

Perhaps we should write to Adobe and ask them to add a setting that allows for 35 pages per second or the fastest a computer can fully display the page from one to the next. And why not 5 ebooks in succession like a slide show for images, no stop start between books. Be to lounge back sipping water through a straw and PhotoReading PDF ebooks.

Be in Photofocus for 10 to 20 but as you say, save the keyboard.

By the way they do have something for handhelds and phones that advances one word across the screen at a time. It increases the reading speed but on those small devices it's one word at a time, rather than tapping the advance for every sentence.

Alex

Great!
I did not know about the automatic advancemente of Acrobat!Really cool!

PDF & E-book seem to be created for photoreaders!

To me -right now- one page per second is enough.

[This message has been edited by Centauro-X (edited August 22, 2005).]

I can't seem to find where to set Acrobat to advance pages automatically. I found an auto scroll, put it seems usless, way too slow.

Any help on finding this feature would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Dan

[Edit-Preferences-FullScrean-Advance every 1 second] then you press CTRL+L and get PhotoFocus.

Thanks Centauro-X,

I appreciate the feedback. This will be of great help.

Dan

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved