Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#45054 08/15/05 08:04 AM
OP Offline

Hello! As an experiment I bought the photoreading book about 5 days ago. A couple of days ago I PhotoRead (I see you prefer to capitalize that) five or six books, or maybe seven. Just tonight I activated four of them. I made nice maps covering my questions well, I'm not tired from my efforts, and I feel confident that I derived a great deal of value from the books I activated. My questions were not keyed to very precise needs I have, but rather took the form of finding out, with growing curiosity, what the author was getting at, what the author's real argument was, and how the main points were derived and supported. In other words, I allowed the books to give me my "interest", but my curiosity was real. I think during my activation I did not continuously maintain the relaxed alertness, because sometimes I disagreed rather a lot with what authors were saying: but I returned promptly to state as soon as I could. I also tended to work staight through in one session lasting about an hour per book rather than breaking up the work in shorter segments. Another deviation: I didn't realize that the postview came immediately after the PhotoReading; when I PR'd I simply affirmed the passage of the information and rested a few moments before PR'ing another. So, the method seems even rather resilient to beginner error. It was a quite different experience from my usual process with books, which involves more wrestling, more flipping about the pages, less usable notes, and less value derived from the whole book. So I am confident that the method is working for me, despite my imperfect application of some of its details. This reading experience is smooth and complete. Faster too -- I surely spend more than 90 minutes total with a book in my traditional fashion.

As a mild test of the PhotoPeading facet of the overall process, several times in two or three books I paused and made myself examine passages I had felt inclined to go past, i.e. not "dip into" during the super read. It turned out that those sections indeed contained nothing that really helped my quest. And I went past them at a higher rate than my previous speed-read-seeking strategy, and I think, in fact, that I "knew" that they weren't going to help.

So, many thanks. I think I will now be more productive with books!

[This message has been edited by Carl Reimann (edited August 15, 2005).]

#45055 08/15/05 06:20 PM

#45056 08/18/05 07:02 PM
OP Offline

Finally, yesterday, I finished activating another book, my fifth, one I was rather nervous about dealing with. In three passes of about an hour each, I now have a fairly decent map. It's a philosophy text dealing with an issue I know little about: the problem of evil in modern thought. A range of philosophers from the centuries are named, which is material I never studied. It attempts to survey how evil has been perceived since the "Enlightenment". The author is witty in an erudite way, so the switchpoints in the argument are not entirely clear. She says the book was a long time in the making, and it reflects a wide range of knowledge. There's a lot I'd like to learn from the book, so I had to admit to my limitations and not let myself get overwhelmed.

Basically the operating question I came up with was, What prompts people outside of Christianity to consider 'the problem of evil'. (Christians tend to think of it in a certain way, while philosophy has had to invent a series of other ways, believing Christianity unsatisfying). So, I have a map showing the points of divergence going from initial tepid 'Well, the world could, after all, be better', to more coherent critiques of theology, to overt attempts to establish ways of reasoning that eliminate God from the picture entirely, e.g. defining evil in novel ways ('put it into history!'-Hegel) ('we invent it through our resentments!' -Nietzsche) ('Deism and republicanism triumphant!' -author assertion) ('sin and suffering are naturalistically linked--forget God try sex!' -Rousseau) etc.; to closing thoughts like Auschwitz presenting a problem so large (evil not requiring intent and therefore perhaps having an essence and being describable only in traditional abandoned terms) that the transcendent may revive.

The author makes some arguments that don't fully gel, and my temptation is to keep bashing against the book to sort out those points (for example she also seems to argue that evil might be conceived as not having an essence--so which is it?) but by simply accepting that the book may have its limitations, and that I have derived from it something of value to myself, I can now return it to the library without remorse. I know a lot that I didn't know previously, and I can't duplicate in my head the author's own knowledge, partly because there isn't enough information in the book, and partly because there are flaws in the book. By accepting my relationship to the book more fully, I can dispatch it more readily. And so I'm just sharing my difficult trial with a complex book. I'm sure I learned more from this book in this reading process than I would have otherwise. This method gave me a real basis for 'digging in' to this hard material. It's not even an academic book, but an academically chatty book. Academic books are extremely well organized. An academic who is being witty while dropping names and concepts all over the place is another matter. And once again, having PhotoRead the book, I found that the sections to which I was less drawn during super-read did in fact shed less light, upon my operating question, when I made myself look at them.

#45057 09/22/05 03:58 AM

Your experiment was very informative and interesting. I was doing some research on the French colonization of Algeria in the 19th Century and found that having a clear purpose steered me to the sections of the book that had the most relevance to me.

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved