Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

When I first started PhotoReading in mid-August, I previewed and PR'ed, and then would spend 90-180 minutes going through the book taking notes on a big sheet of paper (18x22 inches). I am sure that having PR'ed made it easier for me to get through the book on my long note-taking pass. I knew where to look, as long as I was keeping my mind actively engaged in a search for insights. My reading was much more productive. But I have not yet used the whole PhotoReading system in the way it is intended to work. It's as if I went from PhotoReading straight to rapid reading, without truly activating. So today will be day 3 of my five-day test. The real idea of PhotoReading is to trigger the activation of the material, not simply read the whole book having PR'ed it.

My question is this. During the multiple passes over a book, what is recommended that I write down? I know that trigger words and questions that intrigue me are important. Do I ever write down answers to the questions? Or do I learn to rely on what my OTC mind has observed (apart from a mind-map at the end, listed under Day 5)? Do I look at the book while I make my closing MM, or should I make the map from memory? If I make notes about the answers to my questions, and/or definitions for my trigger words, it will mean far less than 15-20 minutes of book-time for the pass. Just writing a trigger word or a question is much faster, and not a large hit on the pass time.

So, to summarize, do I rely on my OTC mind, and the emerging and improving collaboration between conscious and OTC mind, to gain an understanding of the answers to my questions, or is writing answers out an expected part of the passes, in PhotoReading properly executed?

Learning Strategies Admin

Add to your mind map at the end of each activation pass. You don't have to wait until day 5 to start one.

When making notes leave it till the end and intead of details write a summary of what you learn. 1 to 3 sentences. When you look at that it will be enough to help you recall what you learned.

Alex

OP Offline

Thanks Alex! (I thought you would chide me a little for skipping Activation for so long. ) It seems to me that what you are saying overall is: During activation, one writes new trigger words and new questions. These tell the OTC mind what to look for, and are based on what is exciting and related to one's purpose. At the end of an activation session, one can summarize what one has learned in connection with the words or questions, and add to the mind map(s). This ensures that one is learning and not simply copying. It also helps build the collaboration between the conscious mind and the OTC mind, by requiring or at least inviting reliance upon the reservoir of material in the subconscious. So the point is not just to PhotoRead but also to process the material in such a way as to induce greater collaboration between the two areas of mind. This goal influences what and when one writes. Some note-taking practices may thwart or at least fail to utilize the OTC mind. Of course, we also must adapt the process and see what works for us individually. It may be that writing a key word or two during the activation pass, not a trigger word nor a new question but a word or two reflecting part of an answer to a question, may help learning without thwarting our efforts to learn to activate. Or, would you say that it is actually very important not to write during the pass itself, except for new trigger words and new questions? No exceptions? I don't want to cheat myself. What works best, in your experience? I think that even if I tried to limit myself to writing a key word or two in answer to a question during the pass, I would end up taking notes. I'd say to myself, just another word or two, just another word or two! And soon I'd be thwarting activation.

[This message has been edited by Carl Reimann (edited September 12, 2005).]

I'm partial to writing key words to help refresh my thoughts at the end. Sometimes a questions that isn't relevant to my current purpose shows up. I write it down so I can stick to my original purpose for tha pass.

I think of my reminder notes as spiders with boots. I draw a circle to represent the activation pass thene lines to represent the question, words form the boots. One coloured pen. Paper scraps the size of a business card.

It's enough to allow me to pad it out and if I want clarification I know where to look. The reason for the spider is simple a sense of order. I know which one came first and the question it relates to. I have a habit of starting my mind maps at 1 0'clock.

Some people might work better without notes. Frankly we haven't learned to trust or work with the other than conscious so to me it makes sense to do some of what you are already doing. That works for you when you study. But aim to do less. That is if you're in the habit of writing 10 pages of notes for one book. See if you can reduce it to three. Experiement with adding colour. Try mind maps.

As I've repeatedly told the Stewed Ant and others who have contacted me through MSN. Don't put rules into PhotoReading that are not there. If you have a study method that works don't create the rule that you're not allowed to use any part of it to do PhotoReading right.

It's not true that you're doing it wrong by using techniques that worked for you. The System teaches a method from the ground up. For people who never learned good study skills or never found one that worked for them.

If you already have a system you've already trained your other than conscious mind to do things a certain way. It may not be the most effient but why dump totally?

If you want to learn to use more of your other than conscious mind you have to change your approach. That means experiment with mind mapping if you don't mind map. Experiement to find out how long you can hold off on writing notes. Find out if you can use just 3 or 4 words from the author instead of copying whole sentences or paragraphs. Tip; put the page number next to the words or phrase if you think you're going to need it for an essay or even to refer back to it.

I know I've had questions that came up while activating that I needed to put aside to focus on later. Or When something wasn't making sense. I found when I wrote it down and left it. Then started the next activation with that question or problem in mind I can find the answer and solve the problem in under a minute. I'm not sure if writing it down tells my other than conscious mind to work on it while I continue with activation. I think it does because for me writing my question is a statement of my intent to find the answer.

Alex

OP Offline

Fascinating! It sounds like you try to have one purpose per activation pass. I have been letting multiple purposes (interesting questions to which I want answers) influence me during my activation passes. I write on a big sheet of paper, and take advantage of the space. My goal here is partly to maximize the development of OTC-conscious coordination in PhotoReading. Would you recommend having one purpose, one question, per pass?

I have a minimum of one question per activation pass. Usually I start with about 3. When I have three I get started. Too many questions right at the start hinder the discovery of the unexpected.

A reporter with a list of questions will get the answers to the questions but unless they are willing to hear the answers and find the next question from that.

It's like the questions on this thread. You could easily have posed me a list of 50 question. I'd have answered them as briefly as possible because there are so many I'm wouldn't elaborate more than necessary to answer the question. Why because there is a lot there and it's a lot of work to answer and it takes more time to answer 10 questions than just three question.

Your mind will do the same thing no matter ho w good the questions are.

While I might have answered all 50 (or even only 10) questions you might would probably find something lacking.

When you talk with someone you ask a question hear the answer that leads to other questions. However its quality not quantity that is serving your purpose. Chances are you get answers to questions you didn't even have to ask.

Alex

OP Offline

Almost like dialoguing with the book... another reason for multiple passes rather than just one. Thanks Alex!

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved