Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#45827 10/27/05 12:32 PM
flex22 Offline OP
OP Offline

I've been photoreading a good while now, and would class myself as an experienced photoreader.

I'm just interested whether there are any new insights into how fast we can photoread.

Photoreading on a PC as fast as I do, is about the same as PR'ing maybe 10 standard book pages a second.
Of course I feel comfortable with this, but I'm just curious as to your thoughts.

I remember hearing lsc did experiments where something like 750,000 words a minute? where flashed from a computerized screen into a photoreaders gaze.

Now I don't expect to lsc to come back to me and say:

"we have found that photoreading too fast isn't as effective as photoreading at 1 sec a page"

...but hey, for all i know, they may do.

Thoughts?.............

Learning Strategies Admin

Film has 36 pictures per second. The old black and white films started with 16 frames per second and then went to 24 frames per second.

The difference. The 16 frames per second films were jerky and comical in their action. Even the 24 frames per second were jerky. The lesson learned? The faster film created a smoother flow visually.

It also tells us the eye needed more information than was available in the first black and white films.

So why do we PhotoRead at one page per second? (25,000 wpm) Smoother page turning. You can go faster if you don't mind pages sticking together. It's even better if you do turn faster and maintain a rhythm. Hoever the fastest you can go is about 57,000 wpm with a book. Physically we cannot separate the pages faster.

The 693,000 wpm was achieved by flashing pages almost at the speed of film 30 pages (frames) per second.

Why we don't go faster. Software got sneaky. It stopped loading all the pages when you hold the key down it acutally jumps. My old pentium 2 with windows 98 was cool I could hold the page down key and the pages would fully load. I could even remove my finger and it would continue flipping to my release point. I miss that. Now my P4 flips skips and stops as soon as I lift my finger. So I'm tapping. That's slower than my old P2 managed.

Alex

Hello,
Well I consider myself to be pretty fast, I have several different speed reading modules I guess you could say, for example when I photoread I do about two pages for each second, so that is around 40,000 wpm. When I am super reading/dipping or rapid reading I go at about 1250 to 3000 wpm by reading paragraphs at a time. I almost never regular read anymore and after I have photoread something, concepts just bubble up! It is quite interesting.

Hi there.

Hmmm... Alex's post raises a couple of questions for me. (PS: I bought the home study course a couple of years ago, and while I haven't yet gone through the whole course, I've had plenty of experience with the actual PR step, and a number of "good news" stories)

Q1): I find PR on computer to be less comfortable than with a physical book, because of the need to break PhotoFocus to locate the onscreen pointer, or to swap between pages if PR'ing multiple files at once, etc. Any suggestions?

Q2): While I can flip pages on some books pretty quickly (2 flips / sec), I find that my speed is highly dependent on the physical type/size of book, thickness of page, etc. Sometimes I find myself trying to flip pages from the bottom or the side when I'm having difficulty. Again, any suggestions? (has anyone found one of those rubber thumbcaps useful in separating fine pages?)

Thanks,
Ken.

[This message has been edited by Ken T (edited November 26, 2005).]

quote:
Originally posted by Ken T:
Hi there.

Hmmm... Alex's post raises a couple of questions for me. (PS: I bought the home study course a couple of years ago, and while I haven't yet gone through the whole course, I've had plenty of experience with the actual PR step, and a number of "good news" stories)

Q1): I find PR on computer to be less comfortable than with a physical book, because of the need to break PhotoFocus to locate the onscreen pointer, or to swap between pages if PR'ing multiple files at once, etc. Any suggestions?

Prepare for it. Most often you use the keyboard. Page down and up and the spacebar works well in browsers and acrobat. In word doc postion the cursor over the page aadvance arrow in the scroll bar.

If you open multiple web pages then have your fingers positioned over the alt and tab key its faster than clicking on the next window than using the mouse key. If you have the multiple windows open in firefox or Netscape you find you advance by closing the windows so have the mouse on the X to close the tab. If you want to keep it open for activation have the mouse near the tabs it's not that much of a travel.

Getting back into state is quick so don't worry about falling out of state.

quote:
Q2): While I can flip pages on some books pretty quickly (2 flips / sec), I find that my speed is highly dependent on the physical type/size of book, thickness of page, etc. Sometimes I find myself trying to flip pages from the bottom or the side when I'm having difficulty. Again, any suggestions? (has anyone found one of those rubber thumbcaps useful in separating fine pages?).

Turn the book over if the pages if it's easier to turn from the bottom. Fan the book a couple of times helps to put some air between pages. Also remember to prepare your book new book for PhotoReading. Failure to do so can cause it to break away from their spine.

Alex

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved