Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Because of interupptions or my own daydreaming, I find myself getting out of state during photoreading. Can you recommend a quick way to get back into state without going through the 3,2,1 approach?

Hi Grantman,

I know what you mean about losing state.

Many years ago, I learned to instantly relax into a quiet place, which I've since learned is the accelerated learning state. You have to prepare a little, but after that, with one word you’re back in state. (If the following is old news to you, think of this as a reminder to use this technique to get back into state!)

Relax with some deep breathing, then think back to a time and place when you were alone (very important) and deeply relaxed. Next, recreate in your mind every aspect you can remember of this time and place: the weather, the landscape (or roomscape), the sounds, sights, smells, tastes, what you were doing: everything. Next, attach a code word to this scene. (I use the name of the remembered place.) You should be really relaxed at this point. Come out of state. This is your first session. In a little while or the next day, relax again, say your code word to yourself and mentally go back to that same place. Add still more detail. Let what you've already remembered trigger more memories, and keep attaching your code word to the scene. Repeat this preparatory work several times over a few days. (You can continue to deepen the memory as many times as you want, of course.)

Once you create a profoundly satisfying scene, simply thinking your code word will put you into a relaxed state; if you’re photoreading, you return to the accelerated learning state. You can test this quite easily.

By the way, when I learned this technique, I was advised to keep my code word secret, and I recommend this too. Maybe you feel differently, but I like to think of this memory as mine alone.

I hope this works for you. Good luck!

Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

If out of state means you've lost photofocus. Just turn back 6 to 12 pages. Get into photofocus and continue. And that is even unnecessary. You can just gently bring your mind back and keep going.

In other words, just keep going.

Alex

Dear Grantman and Alex,

Maybe because I've had this technique at my disposal for so long, I realized it would work with photoreading and so used it. It's easier for me to use my code word than 3-2-1, and then keep going ... which I neglected to say. Sorry. It is the same, my code word just works quicker for me.

Having this code word technique is generally useful, too. For example, in a tense office setting, I can let tension drain out of me with what amounts to a brief meditation.

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved