Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#46565 01/15/06 09:28 PM
OP Offline

When I read ebooks in adobe reader; I set it to fit to page, full screen, and hold down the pagedown.

I can go through a few hundred pages in a few seconds. Is that too fast for photoreading?

#46566 01/15/06 11:29 PM

As long as the pages are loaded, it's fine.I do the same and have done for a while now.

For example I use the Project Gutenberg site a lot: http://www.gutenberg.org/

One book I have "photoread" (not read) is 'How to Speak and Write Correctly, by Joseph Devlin' which can be found here: http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext04/hwswc10h.htm

Now how I photoread that was to simply let the page fully load, then I held onto the blue sidebar and dragged it down.That means that I PR the whole thing in a matter of a couple of seconds or so.If you feel more comfortable going a bit slowly, then take about 10 seconds if you wish.
Anyway I have definitely seen improvements in my wording style, so I know that the PR'ing (even at that speed) was beneficial and worked just as good as one second per page.
Often I would find myself typing something, and then thinking to myself "this doesn't sound right, the way I have worded it."
So I would reference the book and consciously see what the right wording is.Lo and behold I was using the right wording, but because it was new to me I questioned it.Really this is a perfect example, to me at least, that letting go and trusting that it works is the key.Direct learning definitely has value.

There is a recent topic regarding this that I posted on here a few weeks ago: http://www.learningstrategies.com/forum/ubb/Forum8/HTML/005401.html
Alex's reply is interesting.

PS: Photoread 'War and Peace' in just a few seconds: http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext01/wrnpc11.txt
Hey what's a few seconds? Might as well just do it!
This is why PC photoreading so interests me and why there's definitely a market for some kind of software specifically aimed at photoreaders.It beats flipping thousands of pages if you ask me.

Cheers!

#46567 01/16/06 01:52 AM

Flex ,But do u still preview and Activate and Rapid read,Or do u PR only without any thing else except purpose & affirmations ?

#46568 01/16/06 09:41 PM
OP Offline

Awesome. Just one more question.

I know you can photoread the book upside down since your brain inverts the image. Can you photoread an ebook sideways?

#46569 01/17/06 06:14 AM
Learning Strategies Admin

crazysnake_36,

Advise for the beginner. Use all the steps. You keep asking questions to find shortcuts. The shortcut is to Use all the steps . They become habit and take mere seconds to do.

Once you've learned the system you will experiment with activation or not, however you will find prepare and purpose are always there if you want rapid access to the information.

BingoMcJiggles,

Try it and see. That is one thing that I see working for some and not others. It is more like a left or right handed preference. Just like the experiment with the glass that turned everything upside down. It took the candidates about 30-minutes to get used to it and then the mind turned it right way around. For some this happened two or three weeks after the first had the switch. It took them just as long when they stopped wearing the inverting glasses.

So sideways.. some will probably take to it others just won't find the time adjusting to it worth it.

Alex

#46570 01/18/06 04:42 PM

crazysnake_36, you have to do what works for you.Photoreading is a personal experience.Read the guidelines and then play with it, until it suits you.Whatever works for you works for you.I know that answer may cheese you off a little as you just want me to tell you my experience and then tada! that's the way to do it.However, trust me, the answer I gave is the best answer, and you'll thank me for it down the road.

Good luck!

Alex, I think Bingo is just asking about the photoreading step and I think you've answered regarding conscious activation.As photoread material is absorbed subconsciously, it doesn't matter whether you photoread sideways, upside down, 98 degrees, 50 degrees, straight up, whatever! you like.

#46571 01/18/06 05:46 PM

I was answering the PhotoReading aspect of it. I used that example to point out that the difference in the rate of adjustment in the brain is not the same for everyone and some people my not switch to PhotoReading a book sideways because on a conscious level that does not seem so adaptive.

What we perceive consciously as difficult or easy, possible or impossible becomes filters that affect our learning. If you need to ask you have doubts in play. To overcome your doubts no matter how subtle will take extra time.

Flipping what we see the mind does naturally. Sideways is going to be flipped side ways. Just like orienting an architectural plan mentally is a skill that construction workers develop over time. The mind needs time to process the information.

It's going to work easily for some and not be worth the time of effort in breaking through the filter of doubt for others.

Alex

[This message has been edited by Alex K. Viefhaus (edited January 18, 2006).]

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved