Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Hello Hypertext, I am raleigh199 and would like to respond to your
question that you must have posted
a day ago!

hypertext
Member posted February 01, 2006 08:00 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello ,raleigh199 , I see you stated this previously above:
"I agree with all other posts on this thread, but I thought I'd clarify my two cents, as I have always been a STRAIGHT A student! "

My point is, how natural did this photoreading come to you since you appeared to have always been a "straight A " student like you said?
Sheer discipline or above average intelligence or both?
How did photoreading affect your "learning ability" so to speak, ie, were you learning just as much before but quicker or did PR revoluntionise your whole way of learning? (seeing as you were already acustomed to high achievement study beforehand)

It would be interesting to clarify what type of apitude picks up photoreading quicker and applies it more effectively than others. Undoubtedly there must be variations.
-------------------------------------------------------
from Raleigh199
OK-- this is my response

I was always a precocious reader and would go to the library amd read books like Dune by Frank Hebert, Lord of the Rings by Tolkien, and the Oddysey by Homer, when I was in grade school and could do trigonemtry and geometry as a fifth grader (8 years old). I also fell in love with Ian Fleming's James Bond books, before the 007 movie craze had even began! I read Arthur C. Clark, Don Pendleton, and Shakespeare a lot in elementary school, also. None of the books I mentioned were ever assigned to me or suggested to me by anyone, but I stumbled across them in the library, as a kid.

However, up until ninth grade, I made only Cs, Ds, and an occasional B in school, because I was very undisciplined and bored with the standard school curricula. Until I joined High School Sports and applied the self discipline of sports training to the classroom, did I start making all As.

I went to undergraduate school at a leading University and made straight As, in a premed curriculum. I was accepted into medical school, but wish I had learned photoreading back then (early 1970s). I was disenfranchised with medical school's emphasis on waiting for clients to be in crisis, before really applying their skills and knowledge. there was no energy into preventive proactive health care, except in the field of the chiropractors. back in the 1970s, chiropractors were not as highly esteemed as they are today and my parents and friends would not emotionally or financially help me out in any way to go into the discipline of chiropractic medicine!! If I had it to do over again, I would have gone into the chiropractic field, despite the pressure to eschew the field, by all the naysayers!!
If I had PR back then, I could have read my medical school assignments faster and spent more time exploring alternative practices, rather than feeling I had to DROPOUT to follow my bliss!
I lost all motivation to do well in traditional medical school, and promptly dropped out my second year of medical school !

Everybody thought I was insane to give up a promising career.

Instead I turned to social sciences and felt that I could best be of help preventing problems as a social worker and/or therapist! HOWEVER I WAS BURNED OUT FROM SO MUCH SCHOOLING, as I studied the hard way (SQ3R) as author Gordon Green discusses in his book How to Get Straight A's...And Have Fun at the Same Time . Please go PR Gordon Green's book to briefly understand SQ3R, if you do not know it already. SQ3R = Survey, Question , Read ,Review, Recite (with book closed)---the basic activation phase of PR! You can borrow Gordon Green's book at your local library or just PR it on the spot in ten minutes and activate it at a later setting! . That book was not even written when I was a student, but I learned the methods he has now written a book about, through my own trials and errors.
The methods in that book is how I achieved my As in the past. It was hard and required much time and discipline, compared to PR!

OK--THIS PART IS VERY IMPORTANT!
I became anti-intellectual and anti-bookish, when I left medical school, in the mid-1970s. I hated everything about academia and would not touch a book. I drifted from job to job, in fields ranging from construction to telemarketing. I began taking up martial arts (MA), just to have some structure, and have been doing MA since!

I drifted into a job working with troubled adults at a halfway house and although I had minimal training, my heart and compassion for the work drew me to the field, despite the extremely low pay
( less than minimal wage but you had room and board as a live-in staff member). I worked my way up in the field and struggled in the early 1990s to finally get my Master's Degree in Social Work! WOW WAS IT A STRUGGLE!
My great academic skills were lost from 1980 through 1990! Luckily, Social Work is relatively simple compare to a MEDICAL SCHOOL curriculum, and I ended up getting all As, but it was hard!

NOW EVEN MORE IMPORTANT! IF YOU READ NOTHING ELSE I HAVE SAID SO FAR, PLEASE READ THIS PART! With my Master's Degree, I still hated reading and studying. I would not even read magazines!!!

My people skills were really good however, and I kept moving up in my field. The reckoning day came in summer of 2003, when I was told I had to take an intensive recertification exam (an all day affair) to keep my job. I would have to review everything in my graduate school curriculum and pass the exam! I had a PANIC ATTACK and assumed this was the end of the line for me! I took several practice exams and failed MISERABLY! I tried to review the materials using the old SQ3R methods and I could not do it! I was resigned to return to telemarketing and construction work or maybe pushing a broom at Wal-Mart!

Fortunately, I was introduced to PHOTOREADING! PR is so different from standard reading. My past mastery of SQ3R methods were irrelevant atthe beginning. However, after a few months of PR, it seems my brain cells woke up. Old memories of the SQ3R began flooding back into my head. My enjoyment of reading returned, as when I was a little kid! I began reading books on all subjects again.

Needless to say, I scored extremely high on the certification exam and have been reading again, like never before! My salary increased and my productivity in both my personal and business life exploded into high gear!

OK , there is much much more to my story and subsequent success with PR, but I think I have said a lot for now. I will continue to post and help others, as I love LSC and all that they offer! We are all so lucky to be able to have these tools available. If I had these tools in the 1970s, I am sure I would have become an innovative physician stressing PREVENTION over PRESCRIPTION DRUGS AND SURGERY! I would prescribe more Tai Chi, QiQong, healthy nutrition, meditation, and living the stress free-follow your bliss life that the Natural Brilliance curriculum espouses!

I hope that helps answer your questions. In summary, I do not think a person needs to be brilliant to benefit from PR, because I was the most dull minded person when it came to books, when I started PR. I was burned out from books. I thank PR for giving me back a love of books, that may have never resurfaced otherwise!!

Raleigh199

[This message has been edited by raleigh199 (edited February 03, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by raleigh199 (edited February 03, 2006).]

Wow, very very intresting story.

Thanx for the reply m8, not quite the answer I was expecting but made sense with an interesting story to boot. Its apperant you have some natural abilty no question( a very impressive list of prose of an 8 yr old!) with photoreading helping you to bring them to peak.
On another note this Gordon Green's SQ3R, is somthing I'll definitely be checking out .

Raleigh 199; that was awesome.Just awesome.
Photoread4me

OP Offline

Hi Hypertext,

Sometimes reviewing old posts on this forum, can be enlightening. After responding to your question, I went to bed wondering why SQ3R was failing for me, after my medical school burnout in 1977! I got on the internet the next day and saw this posting from Paul Scheele, on April 30,2003! After reviewing the post, I believe that PR's use of the other than conscious mind is what really sets it apart from SQ3R. I think we use a bit of SQ3R to prepare or preview a book ( especially SURVEY and QUESTION) although our preparation goes much deeper as Paul explains much better than I can. Also, when we postread the book, we use the powerful tools of mindmapping, synoptic reading, with the rapidity of skitterring, dipping, and superreading. PR does not require one to REVIEW and RECITE, although I do that anyway on later layers of activation!
Of course we never have to READ the "normal" way which I feel is the "slow boring" way, that turns off so many people to reading, as I was in the past!

Paul explains how being in photofocus state, proper posture ( I assume he means keeping that tangerine at the back of the head to improve mental focus which inevitably forces one to sit up straight and align their vertebra, and the concomitant entry into more theta level brain patterns than just plain old SQ3R offers makes the difference.
To summarize: use of such techniques do not require one to have been classified genius by a standardized WAIS-R or Stanford Binet IQ test to benefit. It is like Paul Scheele always says,"It unleashes the natural genius that WE ALL HAVE INSIDE OF US!"

Hypertext, that means you can unleash the genius within you. You have it. We all do! I am not trying to be a salesperson for LSC. I am just amazed at how this works, as I know how anti-bookish I was over 3 years ago, and I know my changes are phenomenal!

Anyway Paul explains all this below, plus much much more in this quote from almost 3 years ago!------------------

PaulScheele
Learning Strategies Corporation posted April 30, 2003 12:51 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd like to throw in an idea to consider.
The discussion thread regarding the benefits of the PhotoReading whole mind system needs to be separated from the the discussion of testing the PhotoReading step itself. Here's why:

The course is designed to load the participant with a MEGA dose of interventions in one's reading pattern. Posture alone has shown to influence reading speed and comprehension. One's positive internal dialog regarding comprehension has shown to improve comprehension significantly. In fact, every component of the program is used because of it's benefit. Name it: establish purpose, establish state, preview, rhythmic perusal, etc, etc, etc...they all have one intent; intervene in a person's reading process to offer better options, that use multiple intelligences and more of the whole mind.

In that regard, there is nothing contained in SQ3R that isn't reproduced in some fashion in the PhotoReading whole mind system.

My contention is that the PhotoReading step is THE paradigm shift to a new way of processing vast amounts of written data in less time. The paradigm shifts because the very act of PhotoReading affirms two things:
1) I have a preconscious processor
2) I have nonconscious resources that can serve me in acquiring information at a conscious level

It follows that it would be fruitless to PhotoRead and deny 1 & 2. So the operating presupposition of the course rests on research that indicates both 1 & 2 are true for anyone.

Now, how about testing the efficacy of the PhotoReading step?

There are plenty of good ideas on how to do that. Unfortunately AdamP's is not one. Any PhotoReader who picks up a book is going to know by feel of pages, images of the structure of pages, chapters, characters, bolds, etc. that one book is different than another. There is NO WAY that a graduate of PhotoReading could be deceived into activating a book that they didn't PhotoRead.

In fact, for years we covered up books and PhotoRead them upside down and backwards. The affective impact of the experience was so dramatic that most of the class participants could immediately distinguish between the books purely on the basis of emotional content.

Hence, the design of AdamPs experiment is poor.

As to the IBVA...you can find out more about the technology at www.IBVA.com

I don't think it proves PhotoReading. We are intrigued by the fact that all PhotoReaders show a similar brainwave signature when hooked up to the machine. We found it was not an Alpha state, but a state characterized by increased amplitudes in low Beta and high Theta frequencies. Additionally, it was fascinating to find that the major driver of the signature was the PhotoFocus state, not the physical relaxation of the PhotoReader.

[This message has been edited by raleigh199 (edited February 06, 2006).]

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved