Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#46837 03/13/06 07:33 PM
OP Offline

I took the Pr seminar on Dec. 2005, because I was desperate and I was failing math. Im a junior in coollege by the way. So I had a month to Pr and that is what I did but I did not practice activating. I started school again in Jan, by then my dean had already told me that I was on academic probation because of my low test scores. SO i started to PR my math books everyday for the first 2 weeks and then every other day the following weeks. I Pred and I activated by doing math problems ...etc and did more things like mind mapping . I got my test results andd what do u know, the minimum to pass a math class is 2.0. Well i was taking 3 math classes and I got 2.0 for two test and 1.7 for another ( the 1.7 means I failed the test).

Now obviously I am upset beyond words. I dont really feel inspired or motivated to continue on with Pring. I guess it works for some but not for me. I wanted to do Pr so that I could do better in math not the same.
Well thas all folks, honestly i wish I never even tried the method, i almost exhausted my whole damn bank savings. Sorry if this post is too reactionary but what else can I do but post about my experience.

#46838 03/13/06 11:24 PM
Learning Strategies Admin

During January you did not practice activating. How was your mind body connection being built if you didn't apply the most important step of the system do develop the skill of rapid activation?

You waited until school started and only then began activating. I think you did well to get 2.0 passes on two exams in view of the fact that you delayed applying the whole system to gain experience sooner.

Alex

#46839 03/13/06 11:43 PM
OP Offline

Let me add something. I had bought the PR personal course couple years back and this summer 2005, i began to Pr again books that had nothing to do with math and I attempted to activate. I posed questions to myself and tried to look for answers. I did this all summer, OK. So shouldn't that mean that I would be better prepared for activating. I decided to take the seminar in Dec. of 2005 just to see if I could get some more tips. I did the seminar. I practiced Pring for a month finally with math books and yes I did not really practice more activating because it was suggested by some person that I could activate the MATH BOOKS during lecture, once school started. I wasn't trying to be a lazy bum who expected miracles I was out there trying to make things happen for myself. I Pred so many books on the 3 math subjects. Later when school started thats when I started to activate during the lectures. Isn't this what is suggested in the PR book . Im not making anything up ALEX.

My mind body connection should have been built already from the summer, when I practiced activating. ANd from other times prior, because I had bought the personal course a long time ago. I should have already gained enough experience.

And no ALEX, I didn't do well, I didn't even improve that's my problem. I didn't even improve. I got the same damn grades that I have been getting.

#46840 03/14/06 01:35 AM

Hi; I am sorry this has happened. It sounds like to me (and please understand i am dealing with limited information) it sounds like to me that you were behind in your studies and got further behind and got overwhelmed.

As crazy as this sounds this may actually be a blessing in disguise. The lesson to be learned here is you can never allow yourself to fall behind in school.

You, dcromagirl if anybody would know was how complex & difficult your subjects were. They were already difficult to begin with even if you stayed on top of them & did not let yourself get behind. But to get behind on complex, difficult subjects that was just too much.

There is hope. You could take classes again but if i were you i would take all the basic foundational classes first making sure that you have the foundation to take the more difficult classes and i would never ever,ever allow myself to get behind again.
Photoread4me

#46841 03/14/06 01:53 AM

Dcromagirl;

Please understand this post is not intended to bash, attack or accuse you.

This is a post you posted in March of 2004.

Hello im reposting this, i hope one of you guys can help me.
ALright this is going to sound very odd. I purchased the photoreading home study course about three years ago, while i was in a sophomore in high school and i was so incredibly scared to face the fear of the course not working. SO i would listen to tape 1 and tape 2 and i would never go beyond that and i did that for three years. THe course has been sitting there in my desk for so ver long and finally now that i am a freshman at college i finally got the courage to listen to seven tapes of the 8 tapes a week ago. Actually maybe it was not the courage, its just that i did horribly my first semester in general chemistry 1 and in writing. I felt so overwhelmed and hopeless with all the work. So now that i am midsemester into my second semester i am doing even worse in chemistry, i dont understand the concepts i cant use the right reasoning to solve any of the problems (im failing the class) and feeling hopeless, ive talked to the professor for extra help and asked for a tutor, nothing seems to be working.Its mostly because i didn't really understand the concepts of the first semester so thats why its becoming more complicated to understand the concepts of the next semester. I dont want to fail. SO..one day i suddenly remebered that PR was still there and maybe it could help me with understanding chemistry, im trying to play with it like Paule Scheele says but things aren't working. I have photoread three sections of the textbook and attempted to activate what i photoread by mindprobing with the textbook's question and honestly i dont know if i am doing anything right. Im really trying to make this work but i just feel so bad, things aren't going well. I feel like i am in so much pressure right now. Please someone help, i need so much advice!!!

You listened to tape 1 and 2 for three years and never went beyond that. You cannot learn Photoreading by simply just listening to a tape. You have to do the exercises.

Is it a possibility that you put off the school work because you were having problems and that got you further and further behind.
Photoread4me

#46842 03/14/06 03:53 AM
OP Offline

Well yes. the year 2004, was full of academic drama. So I ended up switching to computer science and did bad again and then switched again to math. In the summer of 2005 ( about a year later) I finally tried Pr again. I went beyond the tapes and started to apply the system with books that had nothing to do with math and I practiced activating ( all this is in the post that I added).

And no i didn't fall behind in my studies. I understood the concepts well ( so i thought). When the time to take the tests came up I felt that I was doing to do well, while I was taking the tests I didn't feel confused or anything. I honestly thought I was doing well but when I got my tests back ...I was shocked by how low the grades were. That is why I feel so upset because it should have worked. When I was using the system I felt comfortable with it but I have not shown any improvements.

CD

#46843 03/14/06 05:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by dcromagirl:
Let me add something. I had bought the PR personal course couple years back and this summer 2005, i began to Pr again books that had nothing to do with math and I attempted to activate. I posed questions to myself and tried to look for answers. I did this all summer, OK. So shouldn't that mean that I would be better prepared for activating.

Sorry kiddo. The answer is No. "Attempted to activate" and "tried to look for answers ." Tell me you gave up before you succeeded. How can you build a body mind connection if you give up the program before you see success?

quote:
I decided to take the seminar in Dec. of 2005 just to see if I could get some more tips. I did the seminar. I practiced Pring for a month finally with math books and yes I did not really practice more activating because it was suggested by some person that I could activate the MATH BOOKS during lecture, once school started.

No, Lectures are also an activation not the only activation. If you're having trouble with activation you need to do more not less.

quote:
I wasn't trying to be a lazy bum who expected miracles I was out there trying to make things happen for myself. I Pred so many books on the 3 math subjects.

It's a shame you didn't ask for help from your PhotoReading instructor when you didn't see results. Surely you saw nothing changed by just your approach.

quote:
Later when school started thats when I started to activate during the lectures. Isn't this what is suggested in the PR book . Im not making anything up ALEX.

No. The PhotoReading book teaches all the steps. It doesn't suggest only doing part of them as you learn the system. That's why it includes the 5-day test/experiment.

Ideally it would have been better if you applied that properly.

quote:
My mind body connection should have been built already from the summer, when I practiced activating. ANd from other times prior, because I had bought the personal course a long time ago. I should have already gained enough experience.

How could your mind body connection have been built when you never showed any success with it? Earlier you said you "attempted" and "tried" Not only do those words indicate failure they tell me you always expected failure anyway.

quote:
And no ALEX, I didn't do well, I didn't even improve that's my problem. I didn't even improve. I got the same damn grades that I have been getting.

What is your purpose for studying Maths?

Alex

#46844 03/14/06 07:06 AM

Math is very difficult for alot of people because of the way they teach it. It also sounds like you were under alot of stress at the time. It also looks like you didn't fail by much. The problem with math is if you're wrong by just a little bit, that effects every test question. A little bit wrong on every problem means you will fail the test, which you did. I don't think this is a problem with Photoreading. I think this is a plain old fashioned mistake you made in understanding math. The problem with Photoreading math is the books have the problems on different pages than the solutions. Your mind may be amazing but I don't think it can cross reference material on different pages and line up the equations in a way your conscious mind will "get it" from a math text book. You have to visualize math and understand the concept. Photoreading deals alot with downloading and then uploading and the likelyhood of getting even one number out of place is likely. That's a problem you don't have to deal with when you're dealing with information written in just the english language. Math is a different language and if you don't understand the language, the possibility of getting things screwed up or in the wrong order is very likely.

I didn't understand math until I bought videos where the math concepts were explained in 3D. The way they teach it in school is just horrible. It's dry, 2 dimensional, boring and just plain torture.

In school, I struggled to maintain a low C in math class and that was with 100% conscious studying as much as I could. If I were to have photoread it maybe I could have brought myself up to a B but still at that I'm still getting SOME stuff wrong. In math class they let you keep going even if you don't fully understand it and then new information gets thrown on top of old information you really didn't understand fully and that makes it worse. I personally think they shouldn't let you go on until you get every problem correct 100% because with math, everything builds on everything else. It's a hard, HARD subject and I really don't think the problem was with the way you were photoreading. I think the problem was with you're test taking- your remembering. The information IS in your subconscious mind but making those connections conscious is something that you thought you had right but didn't. If you make one mistake on a test with one problem, you'll have to make the same mistake on all problems. What if you just made one mistake, the same mistake on 50 test questions? It doesn't mean you know nothing, it's just the way math is. Math is unlike any other subject for just this reason. You have got to know everything perfectly or you will fail. With other subjects you can fudge things here and there and squeak by but not with math.

#46845 03/15/06 01:30 AM

Hello Dcromagirl,
I have been very successful with using PR in mathematics ( leisure elective course-- LOL) , and research statistics ( required part of my job) and martial arts lately and have been acing my advanced calculus course, as well as progressing rapidly in the martial arts. One thing these disciplines have in common, with regard to photoreading is that you must spend the time in ACTIVATION.

For mathematics that means working out problems to the solution phase. YOu can PR and mindmap the theory sections and even PR and mindmap the graphs and diagrams, and that makes for easier comprehension and an intuitive sense for figuring out concepts like derivatives, integrals, polar coordinates, vector analysis, etc..

Whomever told you that you could activate the books during lecture was partially correct, as I have even activated difficult martial arts textbooks, when I saw the instructor demonstrate the moves. However, just like math, I have to actually put my hands and mind into working out the problem. There is no substitute, as Coldrayne explains in his post, to make the connections conscious, except by DOING it.

`Also, it is important to not be anxious! As Paul Scheele says ,"Pressure destroys passion.". Early in the semester is the time to put in all nighters if you must so you understand the material enough to get a B average, on practice midterms and tests. Once you are confident you can get a B, then you can just relax and enjoy mathematics and the As will come easy.
It takes discipline and effort early in the course, so you do not feel pressure when midterm time approaches. If you feel pressure going into the midterms, you may make careless mistakes. Also, as Alex stated , you may be prone to give up before you can succeed.

Hope this helps. Don't give up as the miracle may be just around the corner if you keep trying. I get straight As using PR in math and so can you.

Raleigh199

#46846 03/17/06 08:39 AM

Hiya,

You have my deepest sympathies. My situation was pretty similar to yours. I bought PR home study while I was really struggling in my third year of medical school (so we must have had a similar volume and complexity of work to get through.) I bought out of despearation and it didn't work for me either.

I worked my ass off and still had to repeat the year (lucky I wasn't kicked out).
I then graduated and continued to struggle. I picked up PRing again as a post grad studying for MRCP 1(medical UK postgrad exams.

I think the difference this time was my level of acceptance of my own ability and to relax, not expect miracles and see what benefit it would give me. I had previously failed the exam 3 times and I managed to add 10% onto my last score to pass with flying colours.

Please don't give up hope and try to relax. You can't study effectively if you are tense anyway. Any study expert will tell you that.

Accept your unsucess in this exam (there is nothing you can do now anyway) and move forward. You CAN do it I promise you. If I can pass my MRCP 1 (only 1/3 of candidates do and they are the UK gold standard exams) - and I am not that smart as I have demonstrated, then the possibilities of your brain are huge.

Good luck and take heart,
D.xx

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved