Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline

I am trying to use PR for professional engineer exam in Mechanical Engineering. Any advice on how to tailor the photoreading steps. If I try to mind map, I find myself mindmaping everything, because the main study book is a reference manual that must be 1200 pages long.

Are you taking the April of Octonber exam?

Plan your time accordingly.

I am assuming that the reference book you are reviewing is Lindeburg’s Mechanical Engineering Review Manual (1400+/- pages) work as many problems as you can.

Gather your reference books (the books you will take with you to the exam) you will take to exam. I recommend Mark’s Mechanical Engineering Handbook, Lindeburg Mechanical Engineering Review manual, ASHRAE’s HVAC Fundamentals Handbook, Shigley’s Mechanical Design and your choice of Thermodynamics, Fluid and Heat-Transfer books.

PhotoRead each of them and MindMap each chapter of the reference books. Make a overall MindMap of each book On each MindMap put the page number of the key point, equation etc.

Along with your reference books Photoread the following pdf files:
DOE Handbooks http://www.eh.doe.gov/techstds/standard/standard.html
o DOE-HDBK-1012 DOE Fundamentals Handbook, Thermodynamics, Heat Transfer, and Fluid Flow
o DOE-HDBK-1017/1-93 DOE Fundamentals Handbook, Material Science
o DOE-HDBK-1018/1-93 DOE Fundamentals Handbook, Mechanical Science

Engineer on a Disk http://claymore.engineer.gvsu.edu/eod/
o Manufacturing Processes
o Mechanical Engineering

If you have access to www.knovels.com Photoread as many as possible of the mechanical engineering texts. (If you are a member of ASME you have access to knovels. This is one of the best benefits of ASME membership.)

Practice relaxation techniques, you will want to do while studying and during the exam.

Generate ABC list of each topics (do this in both written and audio formats) review you ABC lists as often as possible.

Generate a glossary of key terms do this prior to photoreading and continuously revise and add to you glossary list.

Read and pose questions on www.eng-tips.com . A copious amount of knowledge is freely transferred here.

I passed the Mechanical Engineering exam when it was still essay style and in 2004 I passed the PE exam in Welding Engineering (only given in Ohio, many come from outside the state to take it) (I used Photoreading, memory maps & ABC lists in studying for the exam. I scored the highest in the nation on this exam.).

Vita sine litteris mors est.

OP Offline

what is an abc list

I have not had a course in mechanical engineering, but I am taking a course in General Calculus that covers everything from derivatives through vector analysis, as PR has led me to appreciate keeping my mind active. I am acing the course with no problem, using PR principles.

I agree with the above advice and emphasize working as many problems as you can. By Pring the material you will not only just logically understand it, but you will have a good 3D conception
of everything.

ABC Listing is part of the Memory Optimizer course.

Here are some links from past discussions that will give you a clue.
http://www.learningstrategies.com/forum/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000080.html
http://www.learningstrategies.com/forum/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000098.html
http://www.learningstrategies.com/forum/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000204.html
http://www.learningstrategies.com/forum/ubb/Forum8/HTML/005197.html

[This message has been edited by WeldingEngineer (edited March 15, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by WeldingEngineer (edited March 15, 2006).]

Hey WeldingEngineer, how did you word/craft your purpose when Pring those manuals and Doe handbooks>?
I have a few similar (engineering) topics in that particular format to study.
It would be interesting If you could offer some examples on how you worded your purposes for those manuals ( ie, "To absorb key points of this chapter" etc).

Learning Strategies Admin

quote:
Originally posted by hypertext:
( ie, "To absorb key points of this chapter" etc).

That's the weakest purpose statement one could make.

A paradox to begin with. When you say "absorbed" you're already done when you've PhotoRead the book. What more do you want to absorb?

What is the key points of the chapter? If you cannot identify that how will you know when you have "absorbed' it all.

What is the point of knowing the key points of the chapter...answer that and you have your purpose.

Alex

How about this then:

" I want to understand the key points of this chapter so I can achieve a high grade in my engineering exam"

Or should I be more specific in naming the information I need to know out the chapter -- kind of obivious but theres alot of information and most of it is nesscessary for a rounded understanding of the subject.

Second , should I be more specific in the naming of the grade and what else should be added to this?

[This message has been edited by hypertext (edited March 19, 2006).]

Let me play the devils advocate.

What's the point of getting a high grade in an exam? What's the purpose behind that?

Alex

quote:
What's the point of getting a high grade in an exam?

So I can beat others and prove to myself and others that i'm not as dumb as I look.

quote:
What's the purpose behind that?
Self gratification, vanity and above all glory.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved