Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#4020 03/08/02 12:18 PM
OP Offline

Hi all,

Paraliminals has help me greatly in treating insomnia. However , I have a new problem.
Because of imagestreaming and other things , I can stay more concious while in the hypnagogic state. When in that state prior to sleeping, I always have negative self-talk which makes me very stressed and unable to sleep when I'm just going to fall alseep !!! When this happen many times , it causes stress , a big stress. I want to know how to bypass hypnagogic state so that I won't have any negative self-talk messages. Another method is probably to fall alseep faster and pass that state quickly.

Please help. thanks.

#4021 03/08/02 01:50 PM

Hi, Theerapun,

What you describe reminds a lot what I've gone through... It's a nuisance being conscious while falling asleep!

About the negative selftalk, here are some effective ways to deal with it (good old nlp learned straight from the origin, RB himself):

Change the tone of the negative self-talk. It's your brain, you talking, and you can change it. No one else can!! Make it sound like Mickey Mouse or the sexiest voice you have ever heard and listen how the message changes. Move the voice left in front of you (50-100 cm away) at the eye-level and listen it from there. Sounds silly, eh?

Now, that you have gained some confidence in having power over your self-talk, you can make the voice to help you fall asleep. Make the voice speak slower.... and slower... and slower... until it sounds like a recording that is played with only 10% of the normal speed. How does that feel? Isn't it making you feel relaxed, drowsy, wanting to close your eyes... etc. If you continue this long enough (1-5 min) while falling asleep, you are sure to sleep quickly! And the best point to you is: YOU CAN DO IT ALL CONSCIOUSLY! And puff, fall asleep just like that!

It may be, that you have some internal images also, while falling asleep (people usually do have) and the thing to with them is: make the motion in the image slower, make the images dim, grey and distant, ... Some other images may emerge, but do the same with them, again and again... And this can also be done consciously!

Maybe the most important thing is to really WANT TO SLEEP, not to worry about being awake or listening to the self-talk. You see, the brain does what you are concentrating on! If you are concentrating on being awake (by worrying about it) THAT'S WHAT WILL HAPPEN! Instead concentrate on the previous time when you were able to fall asleep easily. When was it, how did you look like then, how did you feel like, what you heard, smelled, tasted... associate to the memory. That's how you tell your brain: THIS IS WHAT I WANT. DO THIS. -And your brain does it!

Please do tell us how you are progressing. -P

#4022 03/09/02 02:11 AM
OP Offline

Thanks purjo.
I'll try that tonight. But I have one remaining problem. You'll probably understand me.

While I'm getting images (hypnagogic state), I usually tell my self "I have to go to the toile 1 more time'. I usually follow that negative statement. It is the feeling.. not the pure statement so that I really can't change its tone since it's not the voice !! When this happen around 5 times , you know, I get very annoyed and it causes BIG STRESS! which make me unable to fall alseep. What should i do with this annoying thought that I have to go to toilet when I feel very sleepy (hypnagogic). When in the hypnagogic state and then get disturbed , this cause big stress.... huhh... please help.

#4023 03/11/02 07:32 AM

Theerapun,

Sorry, I don't have enough time to answer you right now. It takes some thinking, since we are doing this through a very limited channel...

But I will return to your question! Be well! -Purjo

#4024 03/13/02 04:04 PM

OK, Theerapun, I've thought.

You are right, It's more difficult to change anything when you already have the negative feeling. The thing is to change something BEFORE the feeling comes.

You say that you see images, then you say something to yourself (self-talk) and then get the feeling. Feelings don't come out of the blue, usually there is something preceding the feeling that acts as a trigger. In your case it's most probably your self-talk. (It may be that you are seeing some images before the feeling, but they happen so automatically that you are not consciously aware of it.)

The thing is of course to change something that's happening before the feeling. You see, in situations like this people's brains work like automatically, like they don't have any other choice. It's like robotic behaviour, robots don't have any conscious choice over there doings. BUT PEOPLE DO HAVE! That's the big difference! You have other choices, you don't have to act like a robot. By getting other options for your automatic behaviour you can help yourself.

So. Let's see. You have an image before you tell yourself to go. Let's tackle the image. An here's a WARNING! Do this before you are going to bed! The best time is during the day, when you are alert and don't feel sleepy. And do this somewhere else than your bed.

Sit comfortably and carefully examine what happened last time you were falling asleep. What kind of an image did you see right before you said to yourself "I have to go..."? I'm not asking the content of the image, but location, size, clearness, coloured/not coloured, moving/still... etc. Keep yourself in a good state and don't continue to your selftalk. Concentrate on the image!

And now, here comes the COOL part: Grab the image!! Yes, you read correctly, you can take hold of your images!! (I've done it hundreds of times!) Grab the image and squeeze it into a smaller fist-size object. An throw it away! Do it, do it quickly, that's how your brain will understand that you don't want it.

Now, you probably want something instead of the image you threw away. Imagine the last time you were able to sleep like a baby, without any problems. There must have been such times surely! Just remember one, and see yourself sleeping peacefully and deeply. Now, take this image and move it slowly (in 5-10 seconds) to distance and then move it back, just in front of you, where you had the original image and same size also. And DO THIS QUICKLY! Very quickly! In a fraction of a second! If you are unsure, do it once more, or even a couple of times.

Now test. What happens when you imagine you going to bed, falling asleep? Associate to the situation. What will happen? Isn't it so, that you are unable to continue your old automatic behaviour? Instead you feel naturally relaxed, sure of yourself, and finally sleepy.... snort ....

What I explained to you in the text above is essentially "the swish pattern" (nlp term). The version is of course altered a bit to fit in your situation. If you find it too complicated to do the whole thing the first time, you can do the throwing away part only. It should not cause you any problems. And if problems occur, you can always bring the original image back. (If you have to bring it back, consult your other than conscious mind, is there any hidden purpose for your automatic behaviour.)

I sure do hope that this helps you some! Be well, -Purjo

#4025 03/14/02 02:14 AM
OP Offline

Thanks a lot !!

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved