Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Alex; from pages 64, 65 of the photoreading book 3rd edition

"Consistent with the idea that only 4 to 11 percent of a text carries meaning, skittering over all the words lets your brain capture the important ones and feel secure in passing over the rest of them."

If a book has this paragraph;

The digital backbone of the PSTN uses time-division multiplexing, or the variation described below, to move bits throughout the network. The smallest backbone pipe in the PSTN is the T1, which has a total capacity of 1.54 Mbps (24 voice channels), and the largest is the OC-192, with a capacity of nearly 10 billion bits per second (129,024 voice channels). The only difference between the two is the rate at which the bits are pulsed on the line. The capacity, or bandwidth, of the pipe increases as the bit rate is speeded up. It is nothing short of amazing that the PSTN backbone equipment can both generate and keep track of bit pulses transmitting at a rate of 10 Gbps.

So with skittering would the same paragraph be;

digital backbone PSTN uses time-division multiplexing variation described
move bits throughout network. Smallest backbone pipe PSTN T1 total capacity 1.54 Mbps 24 voice channels largest OC-192, capacity 10 billion bits per second 129,024 voice channels. Difference between two rate bits pulsed on line. Capacity or bandwidth pipe increases as bit rate speeded up. Amazing pstn backbone equiptment can generate keep track bit pulses transmitting rate 10 Gbps.

So is that skittering?

Another question; what is the maximum time one should be spending skittering a page? Is 30 seconds a page the maximum time one should be doing on skittering a page?
Thanks
Photoread4me

Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

Read the first sentence. Then skitter the paragraph. Any pattern. Can be.

The digital backbone of the PSTN uses time-division multiplexing, or the variation described below, to move bits throughout the network.
capacity of 1.54 Mbps
difference between the two
rate
pulsed
capacity ... increase... speeded up
amazing
generate... track pulses.... rat 10 gbps

smallest T1,
largest OC-192

No set rules how you see or put the puzzle of the paragraph together.

You can go over it forward, backward. zigzag
curved, circular anyway you want.

Alex

OP Offline

Alex; thanks again for your help.

But that is you Alex; you are always trying to help us get the most out of Photoreading and i just want to let you know that i appreciate all your efforts.
Take Care,
Photoread4me

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved