Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#47490 05/01/01 02:19 AM
hojyogi Offline OP
OP Offline

i know the course tells us to not mix spring forest qigong with other types, but why?

for instance, i would also like to continue some motion qigong exercises that i have learned at my school

i have also learned a quiet qigong meditation called the small circle which happens to be slightly different from the small universal exercise

can i continue these exercises?

what adverse reactions might i experience if i choose to mix?

#47491 05/05/01 04:49 PM

hojyogi-- qigong exercises create an energy pattern in your energy body and physical body. Mixing patterns is hard on your body, as it has to adjust to changes. The higher level you practice at, the more noticable the adjustment, your body has to make. An easy example that illustrates this, would be someone who has been a vegetarian for a year, and then eats a piece of meat. Usually, the reaction is not good. The body adjusts if you continue to eat meat. If you alternate a meat diet with your vegetarian diet every other day, you never really get the benefits of being a vegetarian. It is best to pick a "diet" and stick to it. Regarding your small circle question: Many orbit meditations are similar, as they address the same thing. Master Lin's small universe tape, has the benefit of his energy connected to it. I hav e practiced more detailed taoist orbit meditations on my own, but not as effective as what I experience with his energy present, and the method he uses. It is simply a matter of choice. What feels good to you. Trust what you feel and follow your intuition. If you are doing two things, when you only have to do one, you probably sense that on some level. Making a commitment to something is the best way to make progress. You always have the choice to stop.
I would be careful with motion/active exercises. Some are very powerful, and could cause sickness or injury if mixed incorrectly.

#47492 05/07/01 10:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gallen:
hojyogi-- Regarding your small circle question: Many orbit meditations are similar, as they address the same thing. Master Lin's small universe tape, has the benefit of his energy connected to it. I hav e practiced more detailed taoist orbit meditations on my own, but not as effective as what I experience with his energy present, and the method he uses. It is simply a matter of choice. What feels good to you. Trust what you feel and follow your intuition.
I would be careful with motion/active exercises. Some are very powerful, and could cause sickness or injury if mixed incorrectly.

Hi,
Could you explain a little bit more to me what you mean when you say that Master Lin's small universe tape has his energy connected with it? I am thinking: aren't the exercises neutral and effective according to the usage of the practioner instead of being effective because of their source (ie. Master Lin in this case)? Also, is it safe to do standing like a tree meditation alongide spring forest qigong exercises and meditations? Would appreciate if anyone has any knowledge in this regard

#47493 05/08/01 08:13 PM

Allow me to clarify. Yes, the exercises are neutral, in and of themselves, effective relative to the practitioner. I was speaking of my personal experience and practice.
I learned the exercises at one of Master Lin's clinics. I got to experience what he was like. I found him a very positive teacher, with the highest intentions. He worked(energy/healing) on people taking the clinic, as they did the exercises. His energy was felt in a positive way, and enhanced the experience. I have experienced this before in the presence of good teachers. He was great to be around. If I put on a tape that has him speaking on it and making the tones/sounds for the meditation, it enhances the exercise for "me", as I reconnect to something positive that I experienced in the clinic. I also realize a connection to the teacher's teachers. Even if I have learned something out of a book, I acknowledge a connection to the writer/teacher, if I learned something, and I am utilizing it in my practice. And again, his or her teachers. Knowledge/wisdom is passed down from teacher to student through generations. I find, personally, that my practice is enhanced if I acknowledge where something came from, pay respects, give thanks, and ask for help/energy to do what I am trying to achieve. This is a personal choice.
Regarding standing like a tree. Although I am not familiar with this particular exercise, it sounds familiar to a myriad of static postures that do similar things "in general" regarding qigong exercise. Some might additionally focus on a strong stance and grounding, some might focus more on taking in energy from above. Various positions involve a circular arm held position, Golden Circle, "embracing a tree", etc.High horse, low horse.... Some build a strong "bridge" in the arms for martial arts, all usually address general health. They are all effective. Some more balanced than others. I find that the forming of yin and yang exercise has the same feeling, for me, as some of the above mentioned exercises. It is a nice , very balanced posture that generates alot of energy in the whole body. It's reference to opposites, both in posture (one hand up, and one down), make it very powerful and simple. The forming of yin and yang is a powerful concept. In the moving of yin and yang, you can continue the powerful feeling of what a solid static posture does, if you move very slowly and keep your movement full and open. Perhaps someone who knows the specific exercise you speak of can give you a better answer. I am assuming what it is by its name. Something connected to the earth, and receiving energy from above. :-)

#47494 05/09/01 07:41 PM

Ok, tks! Your answer really helped!

#47495 05/15/01 03:50 PM
hojyogi Offline OP
OP Offline

thanks to all who replied

i understand the replies but i have a question

i have been told by several people that active or motion qigong is safer than quiet or meditation qigong

that a person can experience severe side effects if the meditations are not done properly

therefore i was under the impression that the motion exercises may be more easily mixed

also i have some friends that say tai chi, martial arts, and other motion qigong exercises build on each other

in short, it seems that it is ok to mix the motion qigong exercises but extreme care should be taken with the quiet qigong exercises

i have tried to mix the spring forest motion qigong with other motion qigong exercises, meaning that i practice other types of motion qigong, and it seems to be ok

on the other hand, when i tried to mix the meditations i became nauseated

any comments?

#47496 05/15/01 10:01 PM
Learning Strategies
Learning Strategies

Chunyi says that you will gain greater cummulative effects when you stay with one form. Spring Forest Qigong exercises are designed to build the energy of the practitioner.

The guy can see energy. I trust him implicitly on this.

#47497 05/15/01 11:10 PM

Motion qigong, quiet qigong, and martial arts, are all very general terms. Many forms of qigong do compliment martial arts. Usually, a qualified teacher makes that link for a student. There are forms of all of the above that don't compliment each other, maybe feel ok, but still dilute progress. Again, it is best to listen to a qualified teacher. I agree with Pete's last entry.

#47498 05/16/01 03:42 PM
hojyogi Offline OP
OP Offline

thanks Pete, thanks gallen

will do.

Moderated by  Shawn_Grim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved