Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a chinese work mate told me a bit
about Falung Gong. Does someone here has
any information about this?

#47742 09/23/01 11:23 PM

I practiced standing meditation with a group of foreigners and Americans in Central Park West during the late 90's.
The public library here in New York has several books on Falun Gong under that title.
SFQ movements and Falun Gong are similar, the movements are slow, visualizations are on the universe, no emphasis on breathing however!
The group dismantled as reporters started taking photos of us and PRC(Peoples Republic of China) officials started making arrests of Falun Gong prationers. There was no leader in our group, the most experienced person would stand out front and do the movements one day the next day someone else would should the new student. One student would bring the masters tape recorded voice, and another student the cassette player, later they would discuss principles. I never had time to stay for that but as in the book they probably discussed whats similar to being a good Christian. So the cultural and religious perspective is included.
The was a claim made that if you listen to the masters voice and think of him when you are in danger or trouble his energy will be with you!!!!!!!
The effects were also similar to what actually, all chi gong masters claim, I did enjoy practicing it. I did feel very relax, calm, serene. And I actually did look forward to practicing unlike with other systems I've studied.
Uhm, the reason I stopped was because of the ramifications that were espoused by the leader in his book if you weren't obedient to the religious principles and the threat of not divine retribution, but of his.
I couldn't meet the challenge, I don't smoke, drink, do drugs, steal, but, I may tell a lie, keep a quarter I find and well any dishonesty isn't tolerated!
Basically, the last time I checked I'd say in 1999 the group wasn't there and I remember the most experienced FLG practioner was jittery about reporter, unknown photograpers spying, and worldwide attention the PRC was attracting to that group.
There were a number of articles printed on that group here in N.Y.C. in various spiritual neighborhood pamphlets, newsletters etc.
Spring Forest Qigong's founder can espouse a particular belief system but to westerns as you can see he has left it out, however the cultural aspects are, paying homage and giving reverence to your ancestors and master.
Well, since you mentioned them maybe I'll check the newsletter to see if they have a new practicing location.
Also, we use to practice outdoors in the wind and cold. You learn to concentrate and amazingly, in a city with strangers walking by, talking, yelling, dogs barking, taxis, buses, cars honking there horns, you reach your peaceful level and are still.
So, I'll practice Spring Forest QiGong anywhere, with practice the surrounding won't matter, not flashing camaera, tourists, staring inquistive onlookers, your calm.
Okay, find your peace!
Kandle!

#47743 10/25/01 05:46 AM

http://www.falundafa.org/ has info on Falun Gong/Falun Dafa. Not sure why they use 2 names. Wouldn't recommend mixing instruction from multiple instructors as you are likely to find questions that you cannot get answered, inconsistencies, etc. Also, it sounds like it could be quite "unhealthy" to practice Falun Gong/Falun Dafa in China (many practitioners who've practiced in public have been harassed, imprisioned, tortured, killed, etc.). Don't know if they've generalized this behavior to anything similar or if they just have a burr under their saddle about FG/FD.

#47744 11/28/01 10:51 PM

Falun Gong, unfortunately, is a cult. I don't recommend it unless you're looking to become a devotee for much of your life. This is the first time the post-Maoist Chinese govt ever made an accurate assessment of a group (or its leader). The founder, Mr Li, spouts a lot of alien abduction and spirit possession fables to instill fear and compliance out of his followers. These and other tenets aren't reported by CNN and other media. Instead, the popular press focuses on the religious freedom aspect of the group than its actual belief system.

Spring Forest qigong and others, however, do not expouse any cult mindwashing behaviors and are more appropriate for free thinkers and other independent sort of individuals.

[This message has been edited by Arthur Clark (edited November 28, 2001).]

#47745 12/08/01 05:12 PM

I don't agree with A. Clark.

It's energy manipulation in its subtle form. You move slowly so that you don't waste energy (as in "modern" sports), but concentrate on each move and awaken energy flow in certain body parts. You can believe in whatever you want, religion or no religion, but if practiced correctly and regularly it will improve one's health tremendeously.

So, what's so "cult" about it?

#47746 12/10/01 06:24 AM

I think you all make valid points. I have found that the material being taught, and the teacher, can be two very different things. You can have a bad teacher, or a teacher with power that uses it incorrectly, but the system itself might be pure information that comes from before that teacher. In other words the material can be good, but the teacher can be abusing power. Falun Gong, I am quite sure, has some truth to the movement
and theorey, that in itself can do something positive. Weird doctrines, controls, manipulation, power abuse, all can be layered in by the teacher. I think it is important to separate the two, just to give respect to the system, and not necessarily throw them in the same basket. I don't know about Falun Gong's teacher, or leader. If he is making judgements about people, controlling people, using fear, anything that feels wrong,,,,it is wrong. If he threatens retribution, either from himself or a devine being, that's a big red flag. I have learned some very valuable information from questionable teachers. The material can have a life of its own, as it is connected to where it came from , originally. It is , of course better to have a good teacher and a good qi gong system, and not have to try and sort that out. China's politics are another separate factor.

#47747 12/11/01 09:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jovo:

So, what's so "cult" about it?

As far as the movements go, they do work. But then again, a lot of qigong techniques work. I've spoken with some Chinese qigong advanced students and teachers and all of them told me that much of Li's work is derivative and lifted from other esoteric instructions.

Where Li departs from the normal qigong teacher is how he presents the framework. According to his lecture series, his masters protect his practitioners from all the evils of the world. In particular, other *nonFalun* methods originate from animal spirits which when practiced, can lead to spirit possession and corruption of the human body. Also, according to Li, the comet that hit Jupiter during the mid-90s was originally headed for earth. The reason why the earth was saved from Armageddon was due to Li's not so subtle influence. In addition, he'd stated that ALL people who work with hi-tech and computers, are marked for being controlled by aliens who've been providing scientists with much of the 20th century’s electronic technology. His students, of course, are protected from aliens. What more do I need to say?

[This message has been edited by Arthur Clark (edited December 11, 2001).]

#47748 12/15/01 08:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by gallen:
[...I have found that the material being taught, and the teacher, can be two very different things. You can have a bad teacher, or a teacher with power that uses it incorrectly, but the system itself might be pure information that comes from before that teacher. In other words the material can be good, but the teacher can be abusing power. [/B]

Gallen said it! Why do you concentrate on a teacher instead of technique? You can find the exercises/techniques on web for free, and it's up to you if you're going to go along. And you don't have to believe in what anybody else says (especially about little green ones from Mars) to practice.

Cult is based on mind control/manipulation. I don't see how technique by itself controls my mind.

Plus, I don't think that this particular technique is that much different from other Chinese techniques. They're all based on slow movements and concentration. That's what really matters. All those qigong techniques (and others too) have the same core. You can add/remove/change something in technique, call it Clark's qigong and teach it to others trying to manipulate them, but that does not change what qigong really is. And it's definitely not a cult.

#47749 12/16/01 09:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jovo:

Plus, I don't think that this particular technique is that much different from other Chinese techniques. They're all based on slow movements and concentration. That's what really matters. All those qigong techniques (and others too) have the same core. You can add/remove/change something in technique, call it Clark's qigong and teach it to others trying to manipulate them, but that does not change what qigong really is. And it's definitely not a cult.

Yes, one can practice the techniques and drop the dogma. That's the most intelligent way of gaining skills without compromising one's intellectual integrity. Since you lack the procivilities of a Heaven's Gate type of follower, my warning really doesn't apply.

#47750 01/21/02 04:10 PM

Anyone interested in follow-up on this should check out Ken Cohen's substantial and level-headed article on Falun Gong on the Qi Journal website (http://qi-journal.com/Qigong.asp?-token.SearchID=Is%20Qigong%20Political). Ken Cohen is a highly-respected qigong expert, and author of several books and videos on the subject. The Qi Journal website also includes an interesting and even longer reply/rebuttal from a practicing Falun Gong member (http://qi-journal.com/Qigong.asp?-Token.FindPage=1&-Token.SearchID=Falun%20Gong:%20A%20Way%20of%20Cultivation%20Practice).

Moderated by  Shawn_Grim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved