Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BillB Offline OP
OP Offline

The Qigong I've been practicing is primarily Taoist. I'm interested in the Spring Forest Qigong, but wonder if the Taoist methods are compatable. I'd like to embark on the Spring Forest Qigong, but I do enjoy the Taoist methods I've learned and hope I do not have to abandon those techniques totally.

I'd say that you don't have to abandon those techniques. Just make sure you make a 30 minute (at least) break between practicing different techniques. After some time you'll see which one gives you more and you'll stick with it.

There are many techniques out there, but you don't have to practice them all (mission impossible . My suggestion is: Pick one that yields the best results (for you) and stick with it.

Spending some time on finding "the right" technique is justified, but don't waste your time trying everything you hear of. There is always something different. Do one technique regularly and go from there. Otherwise, you'll "try out" everything but DO nothing, thus no results can be achieved. Do not try. Do it!

Hi Bill,
I agree with Jovo's suggestions..
Also,
I think it would be hard to find a form of qigong that didn't have taoist theorey in it.
Spring Forest Qigong, along with countless other forms of qigong, traditional Chinese medicine, etc., all mutually inherited, influenced, and developed qigong from each other. Most systems involve the Five Element Theorey, the Yin and Yang principle, the qi meridians, etc. Taoism is a philosophy compatible with any form of qigong. It is not defined in a singular, specific set of movements or specific qigong system. A system could be more or less Taoist in how it defines itself, or what it connects to, but the basic principles are shared in many qigong systems. A basic difference, "may" be evident in emphasis on physical or not physical aspects of self. One form of Buddhism, or related qigong, for example, may place more emphasis on the soul than the body, therefore making active exercise geared towards physical longevity less important. SFQ is very balanced and open, concerning personal preference in regards to Asian philosophies and/or any religious preferences.

BillB Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks all. I would not be concerned except that in Chunyi Lin's Level 1 materials,he directs the student not to mix Gigong methods.

Without checking out other Qigongs one would not necessarily know how well one's method is working for that individual, hence the interest in other methods that probably all QiGong practicioners are considering through out their experience. The Qigong would not have evolved so much over the centuries if practicioners weren't looking for more effective and efficient methods.

Also when working with specific organ/meridian exercises one also goes through some searching to find a method that is effective for that condition.

I guess we are always on the path of change.

"I would not be concerned,except that in Chunyi Lin's Level 1, he directs the student not to mix qigong methods."
This is true, it is best to focus on one, not good to do two different ones in close proximity, as your body assimulates a specific energy pattern relative to each exercise. In close proximity you would waste alot of energy adjusting to the change in pattern. Jovo gave the appropriate answer if you do want to try a few things out or if you are in a transition period.

A man told me once: "If you are same today as yesterday, you're a dead man."

To learn is to change. As I said before, spending time and energy on finding "your" technique is justified. However, it is experience what you should search for. Whichever technique you choose, experience you'll get. From that experience you'll know if you need to change something or not. Do not search for different techniques only to see if they "work" better. If your experience doesn't satisfy then look further; then you'll know what to look for.

Moderated by  Shawn_Grim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved