Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#48202 05/20/02 01:28 PM
bujin Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi. Just wondering if anybody had tried this:
http://www.budomart.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Amatsu_Tatara__Self_healing___Autogu_rison_2.html

It sounds very similar to Qigong (only a Japanese version).

May have to ask my instructor whether he knows anything about it - he was at tha 99 Tai Kai, so he might!

#48203 05/22/02 04:43 PM

Hi,
Keep in mind that information, such as qigong, goes back thousands of years. There are basic "sources" of unique systems. Some masters or medicine people of experience will point to the stars, if you ask about where something came from. Systems began, then spread. In the spreading of systems, often there would be watering down of the original information, or, a specific teacher who inherited the information chose to develop a specific aspect of it. An example, relative to your interest in martial arts, would be something like comparing Shaolin Kung Fu to Karate. Shaolin was a source of something. A whole pie. One of those slices made it to Japan, and Shotokan emerged. The focus being on developing a sport aspect of martial arts utilizing a relatively small number of movements in an external way. Many systems can be traced back to singular sources. Finding them in a different language or culture doesn't necessarily expose "new" information, but often duplicates one aspect of the whole. It is not surprizing to find things in other Asian cultures, that relate to Chinese qigong systems. Sometimes the age of a system reveals something. Again, as an example, in martial arts, you can find systems a few hundred years old, or thousands of years old. Even if a system is newer, it can stay connected to the "whole", or original source information. Unfortunately, often , this is not the case. A partial version is presented without a connection to the source. I am sure what you found "is" connected to the same information/source.

#48204 05/23/02 08:49 AM
bujin Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi

I've done a bit more digging into this subject. I found this page: http://www.amatsu.com/index.html which describes it a bit better. It's not quite the same as qigong after all.

According to the Menkyo Kaiden section of that site, the techniques can be dated back over 3000 years. It's more to do with certain points on the body, called Tsubo, which can be used by the martial artist to harm someone, or by the medic to heal.

#48205 05/23/02 01:49 PM
Hel Offline

Sounds like dim mak. http://www.dimmak.net/

#48206 06/10/02 11:51 AM
bujin Offline OP
OP Offline

I finally managed to borrow the Amatsu video from my martial arts instructor. It's very interesting. It basically opens with Chris Roworth and Dennis Bartram discussing what Amatsu is, and gives a few demonstrations. The second half of the video is Hatsumi sensei giving demonstrations on how more than one person can be used to heal someone.

It's nothing like Qigong after all. Shares more similarities with something like Shiatsu. But it's clever stuff.

(BTW, gallen, I wasn't suggesting that Amatsu is older or better than Qigong!)

Moderated by  Shawn_Grim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved