Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#48347 07/19/02 12:25 PM
OP Offline

I'd like to supplement my Qigong w/ some Chinese yoga or Dao-in (sp?). Anyone know any good books that have some simple Dao-in stretches? There are plenty of yoga books on the market but I'm specifically looking for something that has a chinese flavor to it.

#48348 07/19/02 03:08 PM

Excellent question JHegener,
I too will greatly benefit from the answer to this question. I believe we have several experienced, resourceful and knowledgeable SFQ practitioners who will step up to the plate with answers and comments.

I, myself, have been a practitioner of yoga for 25 years. I'm certified and registered as a teacher of several styles of yoga and even went on to obtain ordination as a Swami, under the Indian Yoga tradition.

Honestly, I've only been exposed to a very little (actually, closer to Nil)Chinese Yoga and Dao-in, in particular. What I do know is that the practice of yoga under the Chinese tradition is beautiful, graceful and highly theraputic: in a word it is "GREAT."

There are many styles and forms of yoga, but they all boil down to basically the same thing, and pretty much uses the same postures and/or movements (not to mention the meditation, breathing, life style, health and other spiritual aspects). Some even uses a combination of accupressure with the yoga asanas (poses), while others use a massage type approach; and, yes, now there is even the dance type and the aerobic types to mention just a few. The latter types shows what happens when yoga becomes a Western fad; and, the quick fix, calories burning, 'look good' cravings becomes a fixation: if you know what I mean. Then again, all this is not necessarily bad. It comes down to 'differnet strokes for different folks,' and if it works for them then more power to them.

I have tended to gravitate towards the more traditional yoga practices and approaches. However, the traditional (and traditional means many different things to many different people) approach doesn't sell much books, tapes, students and popular interest. Therefore, this is not what you will usually see on TV, etc. Then, again, to get really traditional in yoga might become a 'WEIRD' experience for the typical Westerner. The same is true for the Chinese approach of Qigong, Chinese Yoga, etc.: remember the Chinese tradition is Eastern also.

Opps! Please forgive my rudeness. Shame on me! Please, excuse my long drawn out and perhaps irrelevant rumbling on. I apologize for my irrelevancy.

Looking out, also, for the real answer to your question ....

Unconditional Love ....

#48349 07/19/02 10:01 PM
OP Offline

Thanks for the info... I've been browsing some of the old posts and it does indeed seem that this forum is a good source of information.

I should say up front that I have the Dao-in video by master Hua. The problem is that it is about an hour long if you follow it for each exercise/stretch.

I was looking for a set of 'core' Dao-in stretches that might take 10 or 20 minutes at night when I get home from work. I suppose I could cherry pick based on what I know about yoga but that seems a bit like cheating.

Also, I would rather get as much info as I can first.

Moderated by  Shawn_Grim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved