Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#48747 11/10/02 01:39 PM
kev5 Offline OP
OP Offline

I'm in a why and when kind of mood today. I realise that if I were not a westerner I would be more inclined simply to do what the Master says but...

I am wondering why is it that you have your legs bent for SFQ and why a little more for weight loss?

Why do you feet have to face forwards? - it feels a little unnatural and pointing them slightly out feels better but I resist this.

Why can't you drink water for 30 minutes before the active exercise? - I am more used to the idea that you hydrate yourself before an energy moving experience.

And finally a 'when'. I've seen mention of a book by Mastser Lin on this forum and wondered when it was due out.

So that's my little left brain outpouring done but I wonder if anyone can help with some answers. I don't absolutely have to know about the whys but it seems to help me.

#48748 11/11/02 02:10 PM

Hi Kev,

I also had many questions when studying QGong. The more I get to know Master Lin, the more comfortable I feel with his teachings. He is truly dedicated to teaching us and has spent many years studying QGong, not to mention the information he receives while meditating. So, I decided to follow his teachings on faith, not understanding. It seems to work for me.

About his first book, a limited number was available for sale this last weekend at the SFQ Association meeting. I understand a new, revised edition will be available March, 03. The name of the book is "Born a Healer". I think you can still order this book by calling Tom Jazdzewski at 612-581-6524.

Good luck with your QGong practice. Joana

#48749 11/12/02 10:25 PM
kev5 Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joana for the information about the book. And for the reminder that I don't need to know. I'm still curious but I can live with it!

Regards

Kev

#48750 11/13/02 05:48 PM

Kev, I'm not an expert, but I think there are some common sense answers to some of your questions.

quote:
Originally posted by kev5:
I'm in a why and when kind of mood today. I realise that if I were not a westerner I would be more inclined simply to do what the Master says but...

I am wondering why is it that you have your legs bent for SFQ and why a little more for weight loss?

I think the reason we want to keep our legs bent is that when we do so, it is easier to tuck your hips under and thus straighten out the lower back. I have one instructor who says that the tucking action of the hips is the "switch" that gets the chi flowing up.

When you bend your knees and "sink" two to eight inches, it is pretty rigorous to hold the position for long periods of time. If you doubt this, try to sink about five inches and hold the position for ten minutes. Most likely you'll be shaking as if riding a wild horse.

quote:

Why do you feet have to face forwards? - it feels a little unnatural and pointing them slightly out feels better but I resist this.

I'm not sure what the answer to this is, but I usually turn the toes in slightly and bow the knees out so that the knees are in front of the toes. I learned this from another instructor. It makes it so that the likelyhood of injury to the knees lowered.

quote:

Why can't you drink water for 30 minutes before the active exercise? - I am more used to the idea that you hydrate yourself before an energy moving experience.

I think master Lin did not recommend drinking water before exercising. I think he said not to eat 30 minutes before exercising or drinking anything cold. Eating puts digestion into motion and it thus siphons off energy. Cold energy also has kind of the same effect. The body has to use energy to heat the water up the body temperature and thus energy is siphoned off.

quote:

And finally a 'when'. I've seen mention of a book by Mastser Lin on this forum and wondered when it was due out.

So that's my little left brain outpouring done but I wonder if anyone can help with some answers. I don't absolutely have to know about the whys but it seems to help me.

#48751 11/13/02 10:33 PM
kev5 Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks very much Swingkid. It all makes sense - it's good that some of you out there have been involved with this area for some time.

Regards

Kev

Moderated by  Shawn_Grim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved