Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#48898 08/30/03 01:37 AM
hkably Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi!

Go to http://weber.ucsd.edu/%7Ethall/cbs_qigong.html and read the article!

Thanks!

#48899 08/30/03 02:02 AM

--------------
Many participants claim to benefit from these practices; some appear to achieve relief from longstanding physical or psychiatric ailments. Some, however, may develop a syndrome known as qi-gong psychotic reaction, described by DSM-IV as "an acute, time-limited episode characterized by dissociative, paranoid, or other psychotic or non-psychotic symptoms", and that "especially vulnerable are individuals who become overly involved" in qi-gong.
--------------

Bull. ****.

#48900 08/30/03 02:06 AM
hkably Offline OP
OP Offline

How about the Kundalini energy? It's freaking me out!

#48901 08/30/03 02:35 AM

Why would you post a link to this biased nonsense?

#48902 08/30/03 03:52 AM
hkably Offline OP
OP Offline

...because it's serious and scary!

#48903 08/30/03 04:42 AM

I think it's just someone like a southern baptist who is afraid of anything that isn't in the bible (QiGong or any meditation, Rock and Roll, Television). I had the misfortune of working with one of these so called "Christians", he likes to put other things or people down to make himself seem ever so holy, so I wouldn't worry about it healing energy is constructive energy, not destructive energy.

#48904 08/30/03 12:24 PM

OK, it does appear that the qigong psychotic raction is real, or at least real enough to be listed on a gov.uk site.

Question seems to be what might cause this. Operational theory seems to be going into the emptiness without coming back fully, so that you experience something akin to a hypogogic/hypnopopic state. The cure would seem to be going fully into the emptiness via a voluntary shut-down of the reticular formation vis-a-vis taking a nap. The natural, instinctive cycle would then move the qigong practioner from a state of complete unconsciousness to a state of full lucidity once the bodymind refreshes itself.

I would also search the archives of this forum if you believe this may become an issue for you. It may be that Spring Forest Qigong is designed in such a way that said psychosis will not occur. Given the length of time that went into this (20+ years) and the intensity of Master Lin's personal practice of qigong, there seems to be a good chance that Spring Forest Qigong is safe even when practiced in excess of six hours per day.

#48905 08/30/03 04:33 PM

You will noT have this problem practicing SFQ!! This article is extremely general. As with anything, there are many kinds of qigong out there, and many levels of masters, and so called masters teaching it. One can, of course, do damage to oneself if you are practicing incorrectly, or , if your master is not qualified to deal with what might come up , within your practice. Again, in SFQ, you do not have to be concerned with this syndrome. If you have questions about your experiences within your practice. Ask. Someone at LS will forward your question to Master Lin, if no one can answer it in through this forum.
Kaiden, your statement about not fully coming back, and being spaced out, or in a sort of hypnotic state, relates to proper closing to one's practice session. Harvesting qi at the end of your exercises puts the qi back in the right places, and wakes you up, brings you back fully in the body, etc.,
after practice.
love,
gallen

#48906 08/30/03 10:39 PM

Folks, the article linked above is nonsense. I have practiced other forms of QiGong for more years than I care to admit (yeah, I'm older than dirt). It is one of the safest practices I know of.

I'm just starting SF, and find it one of the gentler forms of QiGong.

#48907 08/31/03 04:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by gallen:
Kaiden, your statement about not fully coming back, and being spaced out, or in a sort of hypnotic state, relates to proper closing to one's practice session. Harvesting qi at the end of your exercises puts the qi back in the right places, and wakes you up, brings you back fully in the body, etc.,

Ah, I understand.

I *have* had intense visuals and tactile sensations concurent with them while doing Small Universe. If such things were to happen in any other context, I would have to wonder if I was going mad. However, I had a feeling I was safe, and experience has shown the truth of my intuition. I think my Masters were doing something with my heart channels, since immediately afterwards my high blood pressure went away, and has been stable ever sense, and I have had none of the same intensity of experience since then.

Now, the skeptic would be quick to point out that perhaps my reduction of blood pressure is more because of my loss of 30 pounds since June. ^__^

Either way, I'm lighter, healthier, and more fun to be around.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Shawn_Grim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved