Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#50029 12/25/03 09:36 PM
OP Offline

May I ask what exactly Tai Chi is, regarding Qigong? I have heard it be described as an offspring of Qigong.

The reason I ask is because my mother was given a book regarding learning Tai Chi movements (for beginners) from a friend and I was wondering of the benefits of it and what it's relation to Qigong is.

#50030 12/29/03 01:18 PM

Tai Ji, known as a moving meditation. Viewed from the outside it can look like a slow moving dance and known to relax and sooth on lookers as they become mesmerized by the beautiful movements. Also a very soft style martial art system as it improves reflexes, mind awareness and strengthens the body. It is excellent for the elderly as it helps them in regaining confidence through balance and coordination. The health benefits are endless and incredibly wide spread.

Within any movement of Tai Ji there is Qigong. While Qigong generally stationary and focused primarily on energy movement and self healing, Tai Ji adds a series of flowing movement which although martial in nature are incredibly relaxing and gentle in nature. Within the movement exercise one is working on there awareness of the center of gravity while gently increasing the muscle and bone strength through gentle shifting and breathing.

A little investigation work seeking out a reputable teacher will go a long way to an incredible experience.

#50031 12/29/03 02:31 PM

Ascending1,

Does doing Tai Ji conflict as another energy
system to QiGong?

I have practice Tai Ji in the past, but
cannot at the present because of a hip
and knee problem which QiGong is helping.
I found Tai Ji very pleasant to do and
strengthening.

#50032 12/29/03 04:55 PM

Overall I don’t think it would, however separating the two would be the better approach. Meaning I would not necessarily do them back to back. Allow at least an hour or so between the systems.

There is no harm or damage from mixing them. The only caution is in undoing the work generated in one system by doing another. For example the state of mind and energetic or even physiological changes that occur from the Qigong practice should be allowed to settle in and integrate with the body. By jumping into something else to quickly it may have a lessoning effect. The good better best scenario definitely applies here no harm just better approaches for maximizing the health benifits.

Moderated by  Shawn_Grim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved