Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#50037 12/29/03 04:05 PM
Bryan Offline OP
OP Offline

OK, I know You can't eat, drink, use the restroom, shower 30min before and after qigong, but what about other things. Like reading, photoreading, image streaming, driving a car, sleeping, talking, watching TV, listening to music?

Bryan, the rule of thumb is simple you want to allow for the work done, energy generated to settle in before you do anything that would upset that process. Ideally a meditation after qigong would be best. The shower would wash away and literally ground the energies that are settling into your physical being.

Food and bathroom have similar distractions and this is obviously applicable to meditation as well. You don’t want your resources focused on digestion when it should be focused on relaxation and integration of new healing energy generated. Bathroom would tend to deplete the energy that needs to settle.

The other things you mention vary only in that you want to allow for a relaxation time if possible. For example jumping from meditation into hurry up running late and speeding down the road to your destination would be contradicting a little,, just a little. I think you get the picture; it is more common sense than anything complicated.

[This message has been edited by Ascending1 (edited December 29, 2003).]

I thought that although you were not allowed to eat before a Qigong session, that you were allowed to use the bathroom before, but not after. Am I wrong on this?

Ooops, Yep definately before is ok.

I agree with Ascending1 that it makes sense to allow a sort of "down time" after your SFQ practice. Active exercises, followed by meditation is excellent, and then a little quiet/relaxation time after that (if at all possible) would be optimal.

Bryan Offline OP
OP Offline

Wouldn't meditating after QiGong Change the energy also, because I know you have to wait 30min after before doing say Tai Chi or Yoga, these are both forms of meditation.

Bryan Offline OP
OP Offline

Also, what about taking a shower and drying off then immediately doing QiGong, bot waiting 30 minutes, this should be ok as long as I don't shower right after, right?

Hi,
Firstly, qigong and meditation are not two different things. 'Within' the practice of 'qigong', there is active, and inactive, or meditation.
Just as bouncing is done before an exercise or meditation, an active exercise can be done before meditation. It is preferable to have the qi flowing and body awake, going into a meditation. Whether that is a tai chi form, yoga, part, or all of level I active, or bouncing, etc. At the level 4 retreat I attended, the morning session of sm universe meditation was preceeded by about 20 -30 minutes of the moving of yin and yang. I enjoy , very much, doing meditation right after a thorough active exercise session.
It is best, to get a feeling for your own state of being as you balance all these things. Going by a rule book, without self awareness of 'feeling' what you are doing, can be a bit rigid. The good, better, best, rule of thumb, allows you to comfortably do the best you can, given your situation. Pay attention to 'your' body, and how you feel regarding all these things. I would say, 'for me', having part of an apple five minutes before a session, is better than eating a steak 30 minutes after, or even 2 hours after. The time is irrelevant. I am referring to life style in general. These guidelines, are within that larger context.
Also, as you become more aware of what you are doing, you can easily discern what works and what doesn't, regarding other activities in an energetic sense. I am sure you have a sense of whether or not watching TV is 'good' for you, or talking a walk, being in the present or not, listening to qigong music or heavy metal, etc.. The combos or mixtures of one's activities start with what they are in and of themselves. If you know that, it is easier to then look at combinations of them, in regards to qigong activity, or just life in general. As you study qigong or other systems that strive to raise one's consciousness, you get to know more about what's good for you and where your head should be at. No one's perfect, or has to be, and you do the best you can, if you are motivated to do so.
The general guidelines bring up not getting in water/bathing, for 30 min 'after' a qigong session. It doesn't mention before, what kind of soap you are using, using a hair dryer or hand fanning, or, what you thought about in the shower. The concept behind this water thing, has something to do exposing yourself to contact with water, when you are energetically 'open', as after a qigong session. The worst case scenerio would be practicing something like tai chi , in a pool, which some people do. The water gets into the bones. Regarding food, it has to do with allowing the time for your body to absorb the energy from your session. Drinking or eating diverts your body to processing that.
love,
gallen

Bryan Offline OP
OP Offline

Ok, I think I understand, so now let me ask this. If meditation is part of qigong then does that mean I could do the active exercises and then do the sitting meditation qigong exercises small universe and self-concentration for 30 min, then take a shower?

Hi Bryan,
Doing all you list , regarding SFQ qigong, in immediate succession is fine, although I would suggest an hour meditation of one kind, as being more effective, as opposed to two different ones back to back. Wait 30 minutes before you shower, afterwards, if you can.
If you are doing both meditations, for 30 minutes, because of the length of time in the tapes, I would suggest a few things to consider regarding your meditation practice, if you have time in one session, to do both. Try small universe without the tape for an hour, as you now position yourself, or, improve your meditation position, and stay with the 30 minutes, maybe facilitating your position with some stretching, twisting spine movements, rotating hips, knees, ankles... If you are sitting in a chair to meditate, you could move to the floor and a pillow, sitting crosslegged, or advance to half lotus/right and left, or full lotus. Eliminating one meditation , to work on your sitting position is something to consider. If you already can sit in a full lotus, good for you! Meditate for an hour, with one focus going in, like small universe.
love,
gallen

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Shawn_Grim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved