Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#50107 01/05/04 04:13 PM
Iam2 Offline OP
OP Offline

Master Lin, has indicated that Breathing the Universe is a good idea while walking. I've done it and been pleased.

I'll be doing a lot of walking in the near future and I was thinking of expanding the repertoire and doing the Self-Concentration and maybe the small Universe. Again I know stationary, closed eyes, is better. However, this is relatively dead time.

I've done Breathing the Universe and asserting "Relax" and "My Channels are open" to nice effect while jogging.

I was wondering what the group, or the Master's take on the more indepth visualization meditation while being active?

You are perfection.
Iam2

#50108 01/05/04 04:36 PM

Iam2:
I can't speak to doing an "in-depth visualization meditation" while walking because I usually listen to music with a fast beat while walking out of doors or on my treadmill.

I am curious, though, about what you mean by stationary meditation with eyes closed being "relatively dead time"?

#50109 01/06/04 06:05 AM

Iam2,
I like the physical possibilities(gains) within meditation practice, in a stationary sitting position. The pelvic area, tailbone, etc., is quite a dense area, in the sense that, most people are closed in that area. Most men , for instance, encounter postrate problems at some time. I find, in pursuit of longevity, that there is tremendous gain in opening that area. Alot of extra energy, locked in the bones/joints...Doing the physical work of opening up that area, along with the energetic work, is very beneficial. Notice , I said, the pursuit of longevity. Not everyone is, or has to be interested in that. For me, I see the most gain, especially being older, to doing 'sitting' meditation, or pursuing lotus sitting. My experience has been, that it really opens up that area. I have experienced kundalini opening, primarily from that pursuit. I don't know alot about that, so don't ask! I know I have experienced it, and it was a physical opening, bridging to spiritual. A side effect, for me, to working on opening that area, for sitting meditation, or in sitting meditation. You can certainly bring a meditative state , sm universe, or whatever, into different 'positions', but I think there is great value in pursuing lotus sitting, and also being 'still'. You can't be as 'formless' when you have to watch your step at the same time. Just breathing into the lower dan tien is a nice simple awareness and practice, to do, as one moves around. Breathing of the universe is very close to just that, with the added benefit of releasing.
love,
gallen

#50110 01/05/04 07:01 PM
Iam2 Offline OP
OP Offline

Be at peace Starfish, I was referring to the time spent walking as being dead time. As for in-depth-visualization, I meant it as a descriptive of sitting meditation.

Well I tried it today. The weather was cold (-8 C, -15 with the wind chill). I found the Self-concentration meditation to be quite nice, but much less powerfull than when down sitting quietly on a summer's bench. I also used the Small Universe tape. It was very hard to match the breathing rythmn of Master Lin while walking. It may be easier if done in silence.

I suspect, I'll stick to breathing the universe while walking with some visualization. Here, I mean visualization as in NLP or self-hypnosis.

I'll see if I can find time for working towards the lotus position.

You are prefection.
Iam2

#50111 01/06/04 09:53 AM

Hello Gallen
You've touched on a point that I'm fairly keen to pursue. That is the denseness of the pelvic and tailbone region which I have to admit I'm working hard to open because I do find myself very tight and extremely sore and painful in both regions but especially the tailbone when sitting in a meditative pose for any longer than forty minutes (only very gradually getting better by the day).

My aim is to achieve full lotus sitting as well and I wondered how long you practice in the sitting position at any one time and over how many months.

As I said before, the longest I've been able to achieve without too much pain is forty minutes. Should I also try using Master Lin's exercises for this more regularly?

As usual, your wisdom and insight is invaluable!
Much warmth
Jetay

#50112 01/06/04 11:26 AM

Hello Gallen
You've touched on a point that I'm fairly keen to pursue. That is the denseness of the pelvic and tailbone region which I have to admit I'm working hard to open because I do find myself very tight and extremely sore and painful in both regions but especially the tailbone when sitting in a meditative pose for any longer than forty minutes (only very gradually getting better by the day).

My aim is to achieve full lotus sitting as well and I wondered how long you practice in the sitting position at any one time and over how many months.

As I said before, the longest I've been able to achieve without too much pain is forty minutes. Should I also try using Master Lin's exercises for this more regularly?

As usual, your wisdom and insight is invaluable!
Much warmth
Jetay

#50113 01/06/04 02:42 PM

I'm at peace, Iam2.
After re-reading your paragraph, I realize I misinterpreted it.

I, too, am working on sitting in the lotus position. I have been doing Master Lin's exercises, followed by a lot of stretching. I also sit in the Japanese position (kneeling with butt resting back on heels) for as long as possible (I'm up to about 10 min. now). This is no small wonder because my leg muscles are pretty tight. Also, I can now sit cross-legged (Indian style) for a half-hour meditation. Although it is a little like untwisting a pretzel when I am finished (and still somewhat painful) holding this position for that length of time has been a major accomplishment for me.
Best of luck.

#50114 01/06/04 03:59 PM
Learning Strategies
Learning Strategies

Aloha Jetay,

Master Lin would recommend doing his hip/knee/ankle stretches from level 2 before doing full lotus. If you do a search on this Forum, there are some other stretching suggestions that may assist you.

Doing the full lotus during your hour-long Small Universe CD would probably be a good next step. It can be a gradual process and any time you may be in class with Chunyi, or those who go to the association meetings have an ideal time to practice and make increased progress due to the accumulated healing energy during those events.

Of course you can move all the furniture out of your living room and always watch TV etc. in the full lotus on the floor!

I would go into full lotus when ever I would be sitting down for a period at work or home.

Much Love, Shawn

#50115 01/07/04 06:00 AM

Hi Jetay, and all,,,Shawn,,
I use the exercises Shawn mentions, before I sit down. I would also suggest, as Shawn did, that there are some past posts with more info on this. I am an older guy, :-) ,
so I require a more thorough warmup, to sitting meditation. Although, I have found that when I do some fasting, get my weight down to a minimum, and am in what I consider as lean and clean state, I require much less , as far as warmups. I yield the physical aspect of myself more, and am more aligned with spirit.
When I do a more thorough warm up, I also include spine work, along with the one's Shawn refers too. You can start with the top and work down , if you like. Start with circling the neck, then working the spine, then the hips/knees/ankles. The spine can be worked many ways. In SFQ you learn how to 'twist' the spine, as you look forward with a fixed head position. I also work my spine sideways, swaying, horizontal circles at, say, three levels, bottom/middle/shoulders height(related to spine), just like the neck exercises(flat horizontal circles, clockwise/counterclockwise...also, you can move the spine in an "S", like a snake slithering. Spine rolls can also be very effective. They consist of a movement like touching your toes, only done energetically, fanning the head down, pulling through the spine, like suspending the crown, and unstacking and restacking each vertebrae. I only mention these to make you aware of different ways one can 'open' the spine, through physical movement. Dophining the spine, as in SFQ, is another way to move the spine. Unfortunately, I can't really relay specific exercises through this medium. You do have alot to work with the one's shown in the manual. The spine twisting and dolphining is there, neck circles, and hip/knees/ankles. If you come across additonal methods that moves the spine different ways, I would say it is something to consider looking at. There is method in qigong systems regarding this, but I can't refer you to anything specific. Many have pieces of this 'spinework'. I don't consider it , or them, as complete systems like SFQ, as they are more specific, and I use them as supplemental, not primary exercises, or complete sets, although, the spine can be key. There is this system called 'Swimming Dragon' that is an example of one qigong, one movement, that focuses on 'spine', and , i think is quite effective. I don't practice this, as it is quite sophisticated in the movement sense, and one would have to choose, and focus, to accomplish and not dilute. It is a beautiful movement when done right, but I still prefer SFQ. The principles of spine work can be incorporated in warmups with less distraction, or diluting of your SFQ practice, or conflict. The spine is moved in an 's' pattern. The youthful thoughts and smile are there too. I also have drawn on yoga principles to stretch out different ways. I think it is ok to open about this, and accumulate a few things from other sources, if they help you specifically.
I also think level I active comes into play too, as you are really focused on self healing, and you can focus on aleveiating your aches and pains within that state. Addressing the pelvic area...
One thing I would try with the exercises Shawn mentions, is doing them in longer sets. Not the neck/spine stuff, but the hips/knees/ankles. The picture in the level II manual of Master Lin with his hands on his knees, for instance, is from an exercise I have heard called "Pole rocking the sky". It can be done in an upright position for beginners, just rotating the knees in both directions, legs/knees/feet together,as shown. Or in the postion Master Lin is showing, with hands on the knees. Another facet of this exercise, is massaging the knees, and doing it with an energetic touch(nice warmth). I was told this exercise came from the I Ching. As opposed to 6 or nine times, try 36, or possibly work up to 111. know, although this isn't the pelvic region, you can generate alot of heat within, doing more numbers, which helps when you sit down and get in postion. Your knees are involved in some of the tightness experienced too. Many movement exercises, in say, martial qigong, can be reps that go from 111, to 333, to 1001. I don't suggest that with this one,,,111 is alot, and you have to be very careful noT to over do it. It can tax your back if you are not in a good position/alignment. 36 is a good start to create a bit of warmth. In martial systems where low movement is employed, that can tax the knees, this is one exercise used to address that.
When you do the hips/knees/ankles exercise, you can envision three horizontal circles moving, hips/knees/ankles, focusing on all three simultaneously, like multiple hoola hoops(!),or move your focus to a specific one of these three. You will find there is quite a bit of variation, in where you direct your focus this way, all three, or focusing on each one separately. You can open the hips a bit with it, if you focus on that top part. I use it just as an ankle exercise too, and ankle flexibility is part of lotus sitting, for sure..
Something Master Lin said once, when I asked him something about sitting meditation, and he referred to Buddha, was that Buddha was a Master of qigong, and, yoga. I didn't take that to mean, start doing both. I just think those two disciplines, end up in the same place, the preference being qigong, as a mode to move through, and a faster progression. I am talking more about 'awareness' of everything involved in this, regarding one's structure, spine/plevis-hips/knees/ankles, etc..., and possibly incorporating some other information, if it helps you get from point a to b. I utilize aspects of yoga stretching, or other qigong, to help. This is individual, not everybodies roadmap. Shawn has given his approach, which works for him.
One detail I got from a yoga friend that helped me, mainly in the half lotus, is to always ground the floating knee,,,,the one not resting on the floor. Put a small pillow, balled up sock , whatever, under any knee floating. You dont' have to, but I find it makes it more comfortable, as that floating knee, eventually taxes the hip/tailbone that is somewhat 'sprung' while you are in that position. You can relax the leg more, if it supported, eliminating some tension.
Do the exercises Shawn mentions, and try doing the hip and knee stuff in higher reps, to the point you are generating heat within the body. Know to , that the circling draws in energy, or see it that way in your mind's eye, to facilitate bringing in good energy or healing energy/light. I find the active exercises, and warm ups/stretching, helps the sitting postion.
For a break, every once in a while, you might want to just sit in a comfortable position, to experience no physical challenge, and really let go. Different schools of thought here. Work through the pain, or stop prior to any discomfort. Chinese method tends to work through it. Faster... Put an image of the sun, in any place you feel discomfort, and focus on that, if you are distracted by what you are feeling. It also helps, to separate yourself from the discomfort. Acknowledge it, then align more with the spirit, rather than the body.
I apologize for the long post, or repetitions..
love,
gallen

#50116 01/07/04 06:10 AM

Also, bending over, and patting the tailbone. Using a soft fist is effective, the thumb/index finger side. Thump away at the tailbone area, it vibrates that area, helps open it, and is also good for the sexual organs in men and women, along with other things. It is a good pelvis related thing. do it for a few minutes. Constantly check your pelvis for tension, in all postions. You may find that it shifts, and relaxes, every time you do that, and may be holding tension, more than you are think, as you exercise, or stand in a position. -g

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Shawn_Grim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved