Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#50138 01/10/04 03:14 PM
kate Offline OP
OP Offline

Master Lin gives the dantien as behind the navel. Other Qigong systems that I have seen give the dantien as 2inches below the navel, as do the Japanese with the Hara.

Why is this?

I practise other energy work as well as SFQ and can feel my energy at that point about 2 inches below the navel.

Will it make any difference to my SFQ practise if I use 2 inches below the navel which I am used to.

Or can I have multiple dantien? Why not?

Love and Light

Kate

#50139 01/11/04 12:29 AM

Hi Kate,
Early on, when I started SFQ, I had the same question. 'Most' systems and written information available, place it below, as opposed to behind. Perhaps all of them...At the time, I had some correspondence with this daughter of this well known qigong master, and posed this question to her. She was very accomplished herself. She had a very simple response, that made me feel sort of silly. She didn't say this specifically, but , say , you have a right knee, and I do. Wouldn't it be silly for me to ask 'you' where 'my' right knee was? I realize that a dan tien is perhaps not as obvious, but, she was letting me know I should be able to tell where my lower dan tien was. If I couldn't, who could.. ! After all, it is my lower dan tien. After this , I started paying more attention to what I 'felt' , as opposed to intellectually defining the location based on what I was being told. Myself, I found , in feeling, places it where Master Lin locates it, behind my navel. Even my navel seems more sensitive an area, and I have always thought, for instance, about the emblical chord one comes in with, if it is relative to this (or not),... but for me, this placement works. The final answer she gave me, was, place it behind the navel for SFQ, and if you do another system that places it below, place it below. Although that makes sense, I myself can't exercise that, and ultimately made a choice. Now my choice is accompanied by feeling that seems to support it.
I have run into this with other things. Let me mention another example , that might reinforce what I said above. All the first nation tribes use the four directions. Althought there is great similarity, different colors and attributes to the directions vary from tribe to tribe. I was with a Lakota friend once, who was talking about his tradition, given the four directions. They were different then how I was taught. He simply said, "This is how they were 'given'(connected) to you. or how your relationship was made with them by 'your' teacher. (Hence) This is how they are for you." So, it connects to how you were given the information, and whether or not you choose to align with that connection, or honor it..
How about, what shape is it? Or does it have physical form? How I 'see' it, internally, is not always the same. Usually it seems like an orb or ball of energy, but I have also seen it as , an expansive sea or sea of chi, or, a palace belonging to one of the three pure ones...depending on one's inner vision and preference in that inner vision. It is a fact that, that physical area of the body can swell, as one accumulates qi.
love,
gallen

#50140 01/11/04 04:53 AM
Administrator
Administrator

Some have suggested that this is a simple translation error. When you consider it if you're trying to find the right words in another language and give a simple concept of under, behind, beneath, 'below' might just have been the word the closest representation.

Even in our own language we have all at one time or another said something that was a little ambiguous. Intending to say one thing and realising or discovering it had a different meaning after we said it.

Master Lin was asked how he came to locate it 'behind' the navel and it seems it was a process much like Gallens. Self contemplation and listening to his own inner guide and then checking it out for himself.

Personally since it is an 'energy' center we would really become aware of it behind the navel or the outer edges of it below then navel. So following the intention of the practice is easier than trying to figure out who's right?

Alex

#50141 01/11/04 01:44 PM

Hi Alex,
You bring up a good point, and I agree. I think alot of what is 'written', was just that, and not necessarily practiced, or self experienced by the one doing the writing. Below and behind can be the same thing... It is interesting though, just how much the lower dan tien is placed 'vertically' below, in older written info, and, in old taoist charts, etc...
If I think in terms of today, I can see how much information is passed on , from teacher to student, as just information, and not necessarily experiential, self discovered, or self experienced. Just information passed on. The areas of focus or accomplishment, by someone practicing, say qigong, can be quite diverse, and not necessarily focused in self inquirey, or meditation.
I don't think there are very many masters at Master Lin's level of meditation practice. Not to say they aren't a number of masters who have great accomplishments and abilities in healing and martial areas.
I heard him say, why he placed the lower dan tien 'behind' the navel. It was in meditation, and he asked his teacher/teachers(as in the master's energy), where it was. His master , with his finger, pointed/pushed in at his navel. I don't recall if he specified it was Buddha, or Quan Yin, Jesus...who showed him, in his meditation. It sounded like a group, and perhaps one stepped forward...
love,
gallen

#50142 01/12/04 10:05 AM
kate Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Gallen and Alex

Thanks for your thoughts and insights.

I agree totally that finding our dantien is just part of the process of finding our true selves. That which we are aiming to do with our Qigong and other practices.

Like you Gallen I have gained awareness of that centre. I sometimes feel it as a hard ball, or heat. Other times I "see it" as a golden ball or a swirling cloud of energy.

At the end of Micro Cosmic Orbit etc I have not directed the energy to a particlar place but just intended that that go to MY dantien and let the energy ball direct its self to its own natural home within.

As energy follows thought this has worked well and using SFQ techniques my awareness of my "inner energy self" has really increased. As has the strength of energy within my lower dantien.

But as these things happen I suddenly thought "I'll ask just, in case". I think we all need a bit of support and reassurance every now and again.

Love and Light

Kate

#50143 01/12/04 12:03 PM

Wow Kate, I thought I was up early or perhaps you are hitting the hay late.

This is great information\question it is wonderful how this site keeps providing so much valuable information.

I had assumed it was Master Lin’s simplified method of directing the layman to the appropriate area with out getting too complicated with it. I too have always heard the two inch below the navel and would gravitate there in my mind. I found that because he mentioned the naval it was better, easier or a more tangible of a spot to focus on. This made me wonder if he was not guided to mention this because it is much easier for beginners to grasp, in any case the concept of finding your own dantien makes a lot of sense. All our bodies come in different shapes and sizes so why not have varying energy centers. Thank you for your insights.

[This message has been edited by Ascending1 (edited January 12, 2004).]

#50144 01/12/04 07:09 PM
Learning Strategies
Learning Strategies

Aloha,

All three of the master's fingers pointed to, touched and pressed into and behind the navel at the same time in Chunyi's meditation.

Much Love, Shawn

#50145 01/13/04 11:37 PM
kate Offline OP
OP Offline

Alex
I am in the UK I think the time is shown as US whatever time.

Just an interesting point.One of the Japanese Reiki techniques to give yourself an energy boost is to put your finger into your navel and just let energy flow. This can also be done to others ( but only those you know really well!!).

Love and Light

Kate

#50146 01/15/04 06:25 AM

It 'would' be somewhat intimate to make that connection! Sounds like it would be quite and energy sensitive connection to make . My creative mind is off on a tangent with that one... Plump people, pierced navels!! yikes. Like,,,,Okay, I am going to do a level II healing session with you. I don't have to touch you,,,just relax, but, at the end, I want to stick my finger in your navel to give you some energy. Nope,,,,I don't think I could do that one!!! It does make sense. Index or middle finger??? I assume it is not the thumb, pinky or ring. Maybe it can get into specifics, as in shr33m's post that mentioned the different fingers. Shaolin finger qigong as applied to the navel... please forgive my fun with this! You know I respect you as a healer and teacher Kate!
love,
gallen

#50147 01/14/04 10:36 PM
kate Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Gallen

I thought that this technique would raise a few laughs.

To be honest I have never done it to anyone. I tried my husband but he just burst out laughing which set me off. You can imagine the scene.

I was taught to use the index or ring finger but I suppose any finger would work. Short nails definately preferable. Jabbing someone with your extention........could be nasty!!!

Seriously though I have hovered my index finger above the navel region and felt the energy flow. I have done it to my self and always felt the benefit.

Let me know what happens if you try it.

Love and Light

Kate

Moderated by  Shawn_Grim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved