Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Nacho Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello all, Nacho here again with yet another question I hope someone can answer. Lately, I've learned to incorporate the stretching exercises from Level 2 into my everday activities much like my SFQ exercises, which I do everyday from 11am to 1pm. My question is if there are any special time/s to practice my exercises - before Qigong, after Qigong, morning, afternoon...? Thanks in advance for any of your input, I'm hoping to get my Full Lotus perfected sometime within the next 3 months.

I'm curious at to what other's experience is. Personally, I've always had limited success with increasing my flexibility. I'll put that down to a lack of consistency.

As a general note, I've found that I get my best stretching results when I've warmed up. Not, muscular exhaustion, but something more than just bouncing before active meditation.

I've tried some of the stetching exercised suggested in SFQ II. I've had some success with the stay with it and going as long as you can. I've been impressed with the flexibility afterwards. I'll do sitting meditation in the kneeling position. I'll do a really sad looking half lotus while watching TV.

Good luck and keep us (me) updated with your progress. I may just pick up your 3 month goal. May be we can start a full lotus or bust support group going.

You are perfection.
Iam2

Nacho Offline OP
OP Offline

That would be awesome Good luck with your exercises as well. Currently, I can pull off a pretty good half lotus by hoisting my right foot onto my left leg. Soon, I hope to acheive the same thing with my left foot and eventually go all the way with Full Lotus.

*Today will be my sixth day for strectching.

[This message has been edited by Nacho (edited February 09, 2004).]

Nacho Offline OP
OP Offline

Hmm, so then I take it there are no specific stretch times relating to Qigong...? Anyway, things have been going good so far. I can almost touch my head to knees and have near perfected my half-lotus. Hopefully things continue to go well.

Hi,
I incorporate stretching and/or joint opening work, the same as bouncing. To open up, relax, get energy moving, build up some warmth... A somewhat neutral pre exercise to either an active or inactive session.

In Chinese systems, a physical position, a hand movement, a technique, etc., all can involve concept too. Remember too, what meditation , or inactive exercise is, and bring that into your development of sitting positions. Developing them only as physical positions ,to accomplish them physically, is certainly good, but is only the 'outside' part. To me, 'lotus' sitting involves a concept, and state of being, which has an ongoing practice connected to it. Not something that can be mastered, and moved past in so short a period of time. I'm sure that you understand that too.
It is also important too, for everyone to realize they can pursue a meditation practice, even if they can't get into these positions, and benefit greatly from it. The level of accomplishment in inactive exercise, is not simply measured by the success in accomplishing a physical position...
love,
gallen

Nacho Offline OP
OP Offline

Thankyou Gallen.

Nacho Offline OP
OP Offline

Task 1: Accomplished.

I have successfully brought both feet above my thighs. Now all I have to do is keep that stance for 2 hours and I'll be set.

I envy you Nacho. I'm not there. In fact, I've messed up my right knee. I can't even blame running, since I've stayed away from that for quite some time now. Only that pretzling to blame.

However, I've got sword fingers working on the knee.

You are perfection.
Iam2

Nacho:
Good job, keep at it and you'll get there just fine. It takes time, just like anything else.

Once you achieve the full-lotus, for even a brief second; it takes time to maintain it for the duration. Just keep stretching and opening the joints. The muscle memory is there, but it will take time to get them used to it again - after so many years.

Concerning your original question, there is no special or better time for your stretching. Your body will be the best judge of that; and, veryone is different. Work slowly and according to your schedule. Try and sit in the position whenever your are seated, to watch TV, or sit and read, or sit with company. Some people swear by certain times for stretching; but, again, your body is the best judge: listen to it.

Iam2, with time you'll be able to do it too. But, please, take it SLOW! Better have that knee checked, or at least be cautious and observe good form and exercise protocol when stretching. Master Lin's suggestions in Level 2 is excellent and most effective. Forget the prestel type stretching and work up to your ability: "Rome wasn't built in a day," and you won't become fully flexible over night - either. But, slowly and consistently and you will ARRIVE!

Much Love ....

Nacho, indulge me for a brief minute, and I'll share something with you; since, you've already achieved the full lotus - even though for a brief time.

Try this. When you are sitting on the floor with say the left leg in front of you and positioned at a right angle (90 degrees). That is, left thigh straight forward and knee bent so that the lower leg is at a right angle to the thigh and foot pointing towards right. Place your right foot upon your left thigh, as in half-lotus. Now, slowly oscillate the right leg up and down trying to bring the right knee to the ground in a some what modified half-lotus. Eventually, you'll be able to keep the knee on the ground. This helps in developing the stretch for the full lotus. Repeat the same with the other leg.
Eventually, you'll be able to life the other foot (the one at right angle) onto the opposite thigh in full lotus.

Also, when in full lotus breath into it and then stretch (and repeat), and it will help you to maintain it longer. Also, try and massage the entire foot bottom while in full lotus. The sensation is amazing and truly rejuvenating; besides, it distracts you from the otherwise uncomfortable sensations.

But, always use caution, and respect your limitations.

Much Love ....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Shawn_Grim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved