Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Nacho Offline OP
OP Offline

Thankyou very much Macook .

Nacho Offline OP
OP Offline

Held Full Lotus for 15 minutes today. It's an odd feeling telling your body that excruciating pain is a good thing. Hope it doesn't have an adverse affect on me.

-Notch

Nacho:
Excruciating pain is 'NOT A GOOD THING!
Pain is a very important friend, teacher, guide,and should be respected ALWAYS!

It is not good to force yourself through excruciating pain. You will end up with long lived lingering problems. Respect pain and follow prudent protocol and sound exercise wisdom with your stretching.

Why rush yourself into potentially serious trouble? Take your time.

What is the rush anyway? You can still achieve all you seek without ever going into full lotus. Most important is to keep your entire spine straight - from the crown of your head to your seat bone. You can do this simply by sitting straight on an armless chair with your feet on the floor. Cover the chair with a woolen blanket and if possible a silk material over this, to insulate yourself from the ground and its draining currents. That is all you really need. And, if you can sit in ANY cross-legged position with spine straight, that is also good.

I have been sitting in full lotus for a long time, but it also took time before I was able to do this. In fact, for a long time I thought I would never ever be able to do it. Now, I often find myself in the position without even trying or realizing it. One important thing to realize is the fact that I never ever forced it. Little by little, I just gradually opened up to it. Just like all other things in life. Let it happen naturally, do not force it, just continue your stretching and exercises as Master Lin demonstates, and you too will soon be surprised.

BUT, YOU'D BETTER BE CAREFUL AND EXERCISE PRUDENT BEHAVIOR.

Mike

Nacho Offline OP
OP Offline

When I attended Master Lin's level II class, his assistant Randy told us all about performing the Full Lotus and how it was definite struggle for him. In one of his stories he told us about how after spraining his right leg (or something similar to that) he called up Master Lin, who gave a short laugh and then told him (Randy) to simply lift the leg above the other leg like always despite how much it hurt.

So sorry, but I just don't see myself getting past this without pushing myself, if just a little bit.

========
Even Master Lin states in his video that these stretches are going to hurt at first, but as long as you keep at it your body will eventually adjust. I don't see anyone reason why I should doubt these two guys when they seem to be doing just fine.

[This message has been edited by Nacho (edited March 13, 2004).]

Nacho:

I'm not asking you to, "doubt these two guys," as you say. Just advising you to follow the "prudent man rule." In my line of work, I see just too much of the patients who didn't follow care in exercise, yoga, etc., and are now regretting it (and I'm speaking from the place of a grandfathered (RYT)yoga teacher and practitioner, also). Besides, you specifically mentioned "EXCRUCIATING PAIN," and also for 15 minutes.

I know very well what Master Lin teaches in the Level Two course. Master Lin's teaching is sound, practical, wise and wholesome. You, on the other hand, sounded like you were taking it to a different level of force. That is why you received my CONCERNED CAUTION!

I'll always prefer to err on the side of caution; as opposed to injury and disability and chronic pain. But, of course, YOUR'RE ALWAYS FREE TO CHOOSE YOUR OWN PATH.

Much Love ....

Hi Nacho, speaking from someone who's husband is an Indian Yogi, I agree with Mike. Mike is right about the exruciating pain. Do not force yourself! You'll tear cartilage and believe me, I tore mine and you don't want to do that. You have to treat your body with RESPECT and GENTLY.

It takes YEARS for yogis to be able to do the asanas. They practice daily and gently coach the body to stretch into the positions. Please slow down.

Mayflower,

Hi!
Sound and practical advice.

Much Love ....

Learning Strategies
Learning Strategies

Aloha Nacho,

That's Chunyi's assistant Jim, by the way, and the one thing he puts out there while talking about the route he took in getting to a full lotus is not to be recklace and furt yourself.

Yes, Jim had the advantage of Chunyi sending him energy and help the hip and leg heal during that process, but as he, MACOOK, and Mayflower have previously mentioned -Rome wasn't built in a day, so take your time in making the roads.

Much Love, Shawn

Hi Mike, How ya' doin?

(Hi Shawn)

Nacho Offline OP
OP Offline

Ok, ok, ok, no more Full Lotus, but I think you guys doubt my capabalities. I may have been exagerrating a little with the excruciating part, because if it was truly excruciating I doubt I would be able to hold for as long as I do or did.

"That's Chunyi's assistant Jim, by the way"

And yet for some reason I always, ALWAYS, refer to him as Randy. ::frustrated::

[This message has been edited by Nacho (edited March 16, 2004).]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Shawn_Grim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved