Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#50451 03/14/04 05:53 PM
Neil Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello Everyone.

I am just starting Qi Gong. Is it normal to find the "standing on stake" exersize difficult? I find it very difficult to bend your knees slightly and extend your arms and hold that position. The best is 20 minutes per day but I am only up to 7 minutes.

Any suggestions?

#50452 03/15/04 03:02 PM

Neil:
Great to hear you've started Qigong . The benefits accummulate with time, and it only gets better. You'll enjoy it and benefit a whole lot in the bargain.

Yes, most of the exercises might be somewhat difficult at first. Especially, depending upon your prior level of physical activity and physical fitness. Go slowly and do what you can. You'll improve with time, and your stamina will inprove, as will your ability to move into and maintain the exercises. We all went through this, to some extent, but became more proficient with regular practice. If all you can do at this time is 7 minutes, that is just fine: work with what you have.

However, remember to wear a smile, relax, breathe, enter the silence, call upon your master, and by all means enjoy! The rest will take care of itself. This is a life long practice, don't rush it: daily, little by little, consistently, and more and more as it is possible for you, and this is the making of a possible, future adept - in TIME.

I assume you are speaking with respect to Spring Forest Qigong (SFG). I'm not sure which exercise you are referring to as the "standing on Stake" exercise? Maybe, this is a typo. Please, check if this is the correct name for the exercise? I'll be happy to share further, when I know which exercise you're referring to.

Enjoy your practice, just where you are NOW!

Much Love ....

#50453 03/15/04 07:57 PM

The Standing On Stake exercise is from Zhang Zhuang qigong. This one is from a series of static postures that can each be held for hours in an advanced stage. It simply takes time and discipline to maintain longer practice sessions. This is not strictly an SFQ topic, although it has been discussed before.

#50454 03/15/04 11:02 PM

Thank you Shr33m,
I thought as much. That is, that this was a reference to another form of Qigong: the name and the holding time?

Thanks Shr33M.

#50455 03/16/04 10:31 AM
Neil Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks so much both of you.

Qi Gong is getting easier the more I do it. This is really cool.

I have noticed a marked change in my attitude...namely more energy.

I anticipate more changes to come. I never understood what Qi Gong was about and the healing powers are unreal!

I was practicing Falan Dafa, but it really didn't seem to have the energy attainment of Qi Gong. In Falan Dafa the practitioners seek out Falan Gong. It didn't do anything for me. Anyways, I am really really glad Qi Gong is happening for me. It is awesome and unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

regards

#50456 03/23/04 02:22 AM
Neil Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Folks.

When first starting out, I find there are strange pains (legs, torso, head) that occur momentarily during the day. Has this happened to any others when they first start out? Is it normal to have these pains?

#50457 03/26/04 12:27 AM

Dear Neil,

Everybody gets a different experience with this practice, it seems. I personally have not experienced what you describe.

In fact, I didn't feel much at all for several weeks. I enjoyed following along with the video because it was so relaxing and peaceful. I think what I did was OK, but I was trying very hard to follow the movements exactly. And while that is good, for learning the movements, it's good to really FEEL it, and not necessarily breathe in exactly when Master Lin does, etc. Once I went to a class, I saw that people had their eyes shut, and we weren't all moving together like some precision dance team or something! That's when I started to feel the energy.

I don't think there is an "normal" way to experience Qigong. You get what you need. And of course, if there is a lot of pain, just back off.

You said that "the healing powers are unreal." Would you like to share a story about that? I'd love to hear it.

With love,
Anita

#50458 03/27/04 08:54 AM
Neil Offline OP
OP Offline

Most certainly I would like to reply.

The healing powers of Qi Gong are awesome. I find my attitude towards myself and others is changing for the better. I find that I care more about other people while at the same time caring more for myself. My workouts at the gym are stronger and my life is more fun. I spend less time worrying. In short, Qi Gong helps me be a better friend to myself and we all have to be a best friend to ourselves...or we are doomed.

Here's a cool left brain, right brain exersise that's fun and easy at the basketball court. Use two basketballs and dribble them together, one basketball for each hand. It takes a little practice but soon you will be dribbling the basketballs while you walk. Try dribbling one up and one down, that's not easy.

bye

#50459 04/03/04 10:19 PM
Neil Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello Fellow Qigong Practioners.

This may sound corny but here goes:
For the first time in as long as I can rememeber I can really listen and hear my bones and muscles. It is quite incredible.

Qigong is a new way of life that's easy to do. I don't have the course but that's okay, there's books and a beginners Qigong class here in Edmonton.

I have found that I don't even miss my computer. It was sucking too much energy from me. So it's gone from my house, and any time I used to spend on the energy sucking computer I do Qigong instead. The same applies to TV.

Each day reveals new discoveries and truths.
Work is way better too.

Anybody else had similar experiences? Let's hear 'em.

bye for now

#50460 04/05/04 09:56 PM

Hi, Neil,

I started Qi Gong a month ago. I tried sitting, standing and even laying down. The Qi Gong is closed related with Taoism and Buddaism. You can bring Qi Gong to your normal life by adapting it's life style.

Your pain may be caused by qi trying to circulate in your body. Often for beginner, you will feel it in the area you have some problem. Remeber to do some self massage and losen up after each practicing.

Moderated by  Shawn_Grim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved