Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#51234 10/02/04 06:04 PM
OP Offline

Hello again,

I've been having some severe problems with insomnia lately. Are there specific SFQ exercises which might help me get to sleep? I've tried all the traditional suggestions given for overcoming this but they simply don't work. Any suggestions from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Lynn-Marie

#51235 10/02/04 08:08 PM

Hi Lynn-Marie,
From a general standpoint, your practice of level I active is your cornerstone to rely on. Also small universe. This takes care of the primary organs, or systems, and also balance within these systems. The primary organ involved with this symptom is the heart, and also, it's balance with the kidneys, but, primarily the heart.
I would try a basic relaxation exercise before you go to bed, to calm down your heart, and subsequentially, your thoughts. Start from the top of your head, breathing into it, and relaxing it as you exhale. Move downwards , and repeat on levels going down, crown, third eye, nose level, throat, shoulders-arms- palms, inhale up the inside of the arms to the heart, really relax the heart( repeating on the same level until you feel it really relax), move down to the middle and bottom of the torso, front and back, pelvic area, down the legs to inside the knees or knees, down the shins to inside the ankles or ankles, inside the foot to the big toes, do each toe, spiral around the outside to the bottom of the foot, to underneath on the front part. Just focus on the bottom of feet for a bit, relaxing. Smile as you do all this. Slowly bring your focus to your lower dan tien and close. A relaxation process, a calming down of the heart. Again, stepping back from this relaxation prior to sleep, it is your daily practice of active exercise that will take care of this in the long run.
My own experience, has been that being an artist, can be taxing on the heart. Lots of image work filling the mind's eye, and trying to make a living. The best part is the life style. I had to learn to enjoy the best part.
Calm the heart, inner smile, sleep....
or,
If you have difficulty, repeat the relaxation, or , do small universe, as opposed to all those busy thoughts. Just focus on that. Lay on your back or right side. 'Be okay' about being awake, if you are. Doing the meditation is a productive way to spend the time.
love,
gallen

#51236 10/03/04 01:13 AM

I do "breathing of the universe" when I have difficulty sleeping or getting back to sleep. While I do it, I picture the universe as being soft and warm, like a cozy blanket. It helps release me from my thoughts. Take care.

#51237 10/03/04 06:58 PM

Two cents.

I will do a small universe meditation, if I wake in the middle of the night and have difficulty return to sleep. I do it with the intention that it is alright if I fall asleep and I'll continue my SFQ while I sleep. It has been very helpful for me.

You are perfection.
Iam2

#51238 10/05/04 10:42 PM
OP Offline

Thanks to all three of you for helping me out with this problem. I'll keep
working on the suggestions you gave and hopefully falling to sleep won't be
so difficult in time. I have noticed lately that when I do the level 1
active, afterwards I usually feel much more upbeat. So far it hasn't
transposed itself over into my sleeping better but maybe with time....

Warmest regards,
Lynn-Marie

#51239 10/06/04 02:31 PM

Hi again,
I don't like to shape someone else's practice, so I didn't say other than, more general things, like "practice level I active". For myself, I wouldn't do it before I go to bed. It wakes me up, if anything, to being very energy aware and open. I can't speak for all people's experience though. It might not work well for you before you go to bed. It 'is', the way to improve you state of being though. A bottom line effective method. I suggested something relaxing, more than a stimulation. I, myself, usually do active exercise, more in the morning, or at noon.
One also has to look at other aspects of lifestyle, like diet,,,,coffee intake, etc..
Insomnia can come from different things. Outside, or inside. Stick with this. There is an experiential side to qigong practice that brings greater understanding of self.
love,
gallen

#51240 10/06/04 04:16 PM

Lynn-Marie, this may sound strange, but it works for me. I too am plagued with insomnia, so I play various Qigong tapes to put me to sleep. I usually start with the Level 1 explanation tapes, and if I am lucky, I fall asleep before the end of the first side. If I am still not asleep, I turn it over. However, I also have the first CD of Level 2 on the same player, and if I am awake after both sides of the cassette, I flip a switch and play the CD. Sometimes I am asleep before Paul finishes his introduction. Sometimes when people have insomnia, they do not realize that they have even slept at all. If I wake up, and the CD or tape has finished, I know that I did actually sleep some. I don't know why this works; I think I am just comforted by the sound of Master Lin's voice and positive thoughts. I hope this is of some use to you.

Moderated by  Shawn_Grim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved