Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#52418 08/01/05 08:46 PM
OP Offline

In preparing for the upcoming SFQ Retreat in October I was looking for some simple information on Fasting and Prayer, realizing I don't know a whole lot about either. I do know that fasting allows deeper meditation from personal experience. Although my fasting was more like "Don't eat for long time"

My experience on Prayer is more to do with ones that come from institutions. I believe there are probably some simple rules to follow that makes Prayer very powerful.

Being a practical kind of guy does anyone have any simple references for either of these two subjects?

Jeff

#52419 08/01/05 09:33 PM

SFQ uses healing sounds but not prayer. Before doing the active exercises you can call upon the master to receive the masters energy. That is not really the same thing as prayer IMO.

Prayer is used in certain sects of daoism but it is not made use of in SFQ to my knowledge. If you want to know about the chinese tradition & taoism I recommend this book -
The Taoist Manual: An Illustrated Guide
Applying Taoism to Daily Life
Author: Brock Silvers
Paperback: 224 pages
ISBN: 0967794811
Sacred Mountain Press http://www.smpress.com

That's the best book out there for applying religious taoist principles in your daily life.

#52420 08/02/05 03:23 AM

The Master Cleanse is a very good fast, during which you will not feel hungry, and in fact will feel quite energized.

A very powerful prayer is the Meditation Twin Hearts by Master Choa Kok Sui. You can find that meditation in the book entitled "Your Hands Can Heal You" by Co and Robins.

Best of luck to you in preparing for the retreat. It takes a very advanced soul to realize that preparation before meeting with someone like Master Lin will add greatly to the experience.

#52421 08/02/05 10:41 AM

Master Lin taught us a six-word chant that I use as a prayer all the time. I just sing the words over and over again. There is a CD as well although I'm not sure if it's still available - Shawn will know.

ONG,MAE LEE,BAE MAE, HONG.

Hopefully at the retreat you'll get to sing it like we did last year - and Master Lin says a beautiful very powerful healing chinese prayer at the same time. Very very beautiful medicine indeed.

#52422 08/02/05 02:26 PM

My two cents on what is a prayer and how to create a good one. Ask for something. See the six keys to SFQ for elements I think will make it a good prayer.

As for fasting, there are many different types. Fasting is stopping. Fasting can be not eating chocolate, or it can be not eating of drinking anything, it could even mean not doing something. How much you will stop and how long you will fast for is a very personal thing. Always remember to be safe and healthy.

I wouldn't go out and try and force myself to sprint (sub 5 minute miles) for 26 miles today, but some people can. A similar idea can apply to fasting.

Another good bit of advice given to me about fasting is to decide what you fast will be (How much and how long), being reasonable and safe, then commit to it's start and see it through. This by itself will help your development.

Meditation when the body is more quiet, as during a fast, can be rewarding.

Wishing you good physical, mental, and spiritual development. Balance and flow.

You are perfection.
Iam2

#52423 08/03/05 05:51 AM
OP Offline

One of my hesitations on using Prayer or Mantra is that it is not translated and therefore my understanding of it's meaning is lacking. To utter words that have no meaning to me does not put much power into it's verse.

I think for a Prayer to have power it's originator must know what they are saying, believe in what they are saying and it comes from the heart.

Master Lin has used Prayer on recent phone calls regarding the Retreat. I myself have been getting alot of signals in my life about Prayer so I'm asking the Universe what's this all about? Maybe it is still unfolding.

Regarding Fasts, looking at the 3 apple Fast it would be challenging for me to go and just eat 3 apples for the day but if I work up to it between now and October it should be easy. There is the possibility of using Master's Energy to make it easier, but that energy could probably be used for more benefit someplace else.

Anyway, I thank you all.

Aloha

Jeff

#52424 08/02/05 08:46 PM

Well you are wrong about mantra. You don't have to know the meaning - what is the meaning of OM? Daoism and SFQ use healing sounds without meaning. I don't think your view has any relevance in daoism or hinduism for that matter.

If you want some translated prayers you can look in "Power Healing" by Zhi Gang Sha and you will find some such as "the light of the soul world shines brightly" but those are from his system not SFQ. I would just use material from SFQ if I were you.

My advice is stop analyzing with your intellect - follow the methods of a teacher faithfully. Stop trying to figure it out.

#52425 08/02/05 11:19 PM
OP Offline

OrangeSoda;

I believe there are answers to these questions. Some can be explained in words and others in forms of energy. How do you follow a path if you do not know where to go?
How do you get answers and enlightenment if you are afraid to ask?

I believe this is a very mechanical universe and can be understood completely. Electricity is something very few understand and those that do, many have a fear of it. This world uses so much electrical energy how can we be so dependent on this type of energy and know so little about it or be afraid of it when it benefits us so much?

Although it may sound funny, thank you for your energy input. These things do help bring about a deeper understanding.

Jeff

#52426 08/03/05 05:42 AM

quote:

ONG,MAE LEE,BAE MAE, HONG.

Does anyone know what this means? I don't think I could find myself using this as a prayer unless I had an understanding of the meaning.

Also, regarding the fasting. When I think about three apples in a day I find myself feeling a bit anxious. I signed up for this part of the retreat because I want to do the most I can to get the most out of the retreat, yet there is still some anxiety on my part. Would anyone be willing to share their fasting experience at last years retreat?

Thanks
Nickie

#52427 08/03/05 08:38 AM

Master Lin's describes the six-word chant as follows:

ONG - means the heart of wisdom. This is the wisdom of the universe.

MA LEE - means a person's heart, which is full of changes.

BAE MAE - means the purity of the heart, the emptiness.

HONG - means the enlightenment of a person with the wisdom of the universe, or with the power of God.

Hope this helps - oh and each of the sounds of the chant also helps with problems. For example:

ONG - can help with problems in the eyes, the ears, nose, and all kinds of headaches and head problems.

MA LEE - can help with problems in the throat, shoulders, elbows, and the heart and lungs.

and so it goes on. Sounds are energy just like everything else, and they can help you go into the emptiness faster and deeper.

With Love
Jetay

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Shawn_Grim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved