Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#52682 10/18/05 10:02 PM
OP Offline

When I start to do qigong, I contact my teeth/roof of mouth with my tongue, get into the first stance, begin the breathing, visualize the energy and say the password and all of a sudden EVERYTIME I feel this incredible uncontrollable yawn come on.

I can't quite figure out how to interpret it. What it means and why does it happen whenever I start to do qigong. If I do all of the above the yawn starts to come in the middle of the password. But I don't have to do everything. I can mix it up a little.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Any thoughts as to what it might be/mean? Maybe a little thought from the master?

#52683 10/19/05 02:12 AM

Hi Zex,

Do you say "The universe is in my body, the universe & I combine together" or "The Yawniverse is in my body, the Yawniverse & I combine together" - LOL.

When do you usually do the exercise? If it is after work or late at night, it is possible to feel that way. Do you also feel sleepy? Have you tried changing meditation time?

#52684 10/19/05 05:50 AM
OP Offline

It doesn't matter what time of day I DO it, it just happens.

I hope there is someone else that can relate !

#52685 10/19/05 02:01 PM

Dear Zex...

My daughter, since very early in her life, has had the insatiable need to yawn, and it's not always the same thing that triggers it, until you look at the underlying cause.

She is also asthmetic, and much of her asthma is caused by stress, with a small amount of allergic reaction. Whenever she is stressed, if you go to say something to her, and she needs to yawn, she gets extremely upset, and this will trigger the need for her to reach for her inhaler, or struggle for breath if it is not handy to her.

While hypnotising her, as she relaxed, I noticed that she needed to have several pauses where she was able to yawn, as part of the process of relaxing. I do not think it is so much of a 'medical' condition now, as it might have originally been for her, but rather a learned behaviour - one that originally allowed her time to prepare herself for whatever was perceived to her (as a child) to be a stressful event - and admittedly she had enough of those in her life to probably really ingrain the habit. My solution with her, regards hypnosis, is to just work around it (we agreed on an idometre signal, where I would pause the induction and allow her the yawning time), as the other issues we are working on are currently more important than pushing resolution on this.

Not saying that the stress or the asthma are a factor for you, but have put this out there, so you and others might understand that this is NOT just one person's silly quirk, but a definite condition.

As to what to do about it - if any of the above rings true, or it leads you to think in other areas, then at least you get a clearer understanding, and perhaps then a way to decide if it's important enough or not to really try to change it.

Namaste
Unis

#52686 10/19/05 03:03 PM
Learning Strategies
Learning Strategies

Aloha Zex_Suik,

The yawning isn't uncommon. There was a woman that use to come to the old association meeting that would yawn a lot during the meditations and active exercises. I can't remember if she used DesertSphinx's password, or her last name was Jahner, but she just kept at it.

When this gets brought up, Chunyi reassures students about how this it helps release toxins and work out old air from the lungs. Don't ask me to revisit my college biology here regarding residual tidal volume and such. Instead, allow yourself to yawn when it shows up.

Much Love, Shawn

#52687 10/20/05 05:36 AM
OP Offline

Thank you for the replies All,

The strange part of it is, it is impossible to maintain the tongue to teeth connection when this happens. I try and try and can't do it. It reminds me of how you can't keep your eyes open when you sneeze

#52688 10/25/05 02:04 PM

I can't at this moment remember where I heard this, however, I once remember hearing that yawning is an indication of energy 'waking up'.

DS - Yawniverse. Thanks for the chuckle!

Michael

#52689 10/25/05 02:43 PM
Learning Strategies
Learning Strategies

Aloha Zex_Suik

quote:
it is impossible to maintain the tongue to teeth connection when this happens.

That's perfectly fine -let yourself yawn.

Much Love, Shawn

#52690 10/25/05 04:32 PM

It was nice meeting you at the retreat, Michael. I hope you got your desire back. I'd like to know more about your experience since the retreat.

I mean about Qigong.

#52691 10/25/05 08:30 PM
OP Offline

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Saikali:
I can't at this moment remember where I heard this, however, I once remember hearing that yawning is an indication of energy 'waking up'.

DS - Yawniverse. Thanks for the chuckle!

Michael

well, being Hyperactive to begin with I wonder if this is a good thing

Moderated by  Shawn_Grim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved