Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Nacho Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi, I just recently decided I want to start trying the Small Universe exercise without Master Lin's instructional CD, but I'm confused about a couple things... Ok, actually one thing: the sounds. I was skimming through Master Lin's "Born A Healer", which ironically provides more information on Small Universe than his Level 1 manual, and in it he says that when practicing this meditation without the CD that you should produce the Oohm and Muaa sounds while INHALING. Can someone elaborate on this? Am I supposed to produce the sounds inside my head, or... something else? Thanks for your time

Matt

The instructions for the ohm mwa sounds are different for different meditations. Irregardless of which meditations, it's valuable to remember that the sounds are not essential to the practice. The are a good addition.

During the Small Universe the Master Lin gives the sounds during the inhale, you move (he says push) the engery during the exhale. On alternate inhales you will ohm then mwa. So two centers in sequence have different sounds. Also as you repeat the cycle you use the same sound each time you visit the an energy center (eg. lower dan tien always gets a ohm).

Now you were really asking how you make the sounds. Well you can do it as Master Lin says on the inhale. For myself it doesn't sound exactly the same. Also I find I have to open my mouth for part of the sound.

So I prefer to hear the sound with my mind, as if Master Lin or I were creating the sound in the full richness. This is what I do most of the time. Definitely when doing the Small Universe. Again don't fret about the sound, just do your laps as gallen called them. I find doing them without the audio is nicer. I find the instruction and have to synchronize with the external distracting and limiting.

You can even learn to remember the feel of the sound. I like the Sword Fingers and Thunder Palms meditations for this. Maybe because I like working with the middle tien (Heart). However, I can feel the vibrations very powerfully, in the heart, when doing the sounds. I can even feel them when just thinking the sound. Not as strongly, but I like to keep my tongue well connected with the roof of my mouth.

My encouragement is to do as many of the meditations without the audio assist as you can. I've got all the material on my mp3 player and I've even mixed a few meditations to follow the meditations formats at the level III retreat. I really like the meditation musics pieces, especially after after doing one of the other meditations (with the closing removed). I find the parts of the audio just vibrate through my whole being. Which is when I become aware of the audio again. It's such a different experience to listening to the music when not in meditation.

I strongly recommend doing as much SFQ in silence, or with supportive non-conscience demanding audio, as you can.

You are perfection,
Iam2

Nacho Offline OP
OP Offline

So, to make sure we're clear, you recommend imagining the sound in your mind on each inhale? That is alot of mental work, do you know if that's how Master Lin does it?

Thankyou,
Matt

[This message has been edited by Nacho (edited December 16, 2005).]

I don't know what Master Lin's actual practice is.

It is one of several ways Master Lin suggests. It's the one that I prefer. Yes, I recommend it. For me, it adds the sound element without having to get stressed about it.

As for a lot, I don't think so. It's like remembering an experience. You can remember the sigth, sounds, smells, touch, and tastes all at once. Just like you can experience them all at once. You're built to do these things. Your conscious mind may have a tendancy to focus on one at a time, but with your self-awareness efforts you're learning to be conscious of them all at once and hopefully all the time. Maybe not the best idea if you're using power tools, but for most activities and meditation I find it's plenty safe and rewarding.

That said, I find that as I keep the singleness of a meditation. Whether it's moving a single ball of energy, or visualizing it in a single place (Sun and Moon) that's when I experience the loss of conscious involvement.

I know from experience, that when you run laps you have more time to daydream, than if you run cross country. Simplicity of task, and learning not to stray seems to disconnect the control of the conscious mind. (Sorry, some ramblings).

You are perfection,
Iam2

Nacho, You are trying (thinking) too much. Think of these words: boat, coat, float, etc. Did you not sound them out? Do the same thing with OHM only drag it out OHHHHMMMM...TRUST IT!

Nacho Offline OP
OP Offline

I'm thinking the right amount...

Thanks for the help Iam2.

Moderated by  Shawn_Grim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved