Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#52913 12/22/05 09:05 AM
purjo Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi all,

I ran into a question that seems to have a lot meaning to me:

What is the route of the small unverse cirlce through my face and neck? Is it 1) nose -> upper lip -> lower lip -> jaw -> throat, or is it 2) nose -> roof of the mouth -> tongue -> throat ?

I suppose it is number 2, but I need some reassurance.

Another related question, if the route through the tongue would be blocked, what would happen? Would the chi flow through the jaw or what?

If the question seems too far-fetched, please bear with me. As I said, I feel that this whole qustion is very important to me, I just don't know why, yet.

Happy holidays to everyone!
-purjo

#52914 12/27/05 03:51 PM

Hi purjo,
Energy moves from the third eye area through the upper palette of the mouth, to the tongue, to the throat. The upper palette is a thick place for energy to move through. Perhaps this may be something, for whatever reason, connected to your interest in this. Personally, I have never heard mention of a 'blocked tongue'. I would not be concerned with these details.
There are even more specfic points along this route , but I would suggest that you don't view this exercise in reference to these more detailed/specfic physical body reference points . Even the word 'route' to me suggests a more linear view of small universe.
To the best of my understanding, which certainly has limits(!), viewing small universe would be best from more of a perspective of experiencing emptiness. How one moves it more that direction, is by losing specifics like the ones you mention.

Small universe is done in a very specfic way to SFQ. It is a Taoist meditation one can find reference to, from other masters, or in other qigong systems. Getting to these specifics, moves it more away from SFQ method, in my opinion, and more towards how it is viewed by other masters. In all other versions I have encountered, it is very linear, focused on specific points, closed breathing( breathing is in through the nose, then along this linear perceived/visualized route, as opposed to being completely open, merged with the universe and breathing openly from 'all' directions. Another, major difference is breathing in both universal and spiritual energy(om). I have never encountered other methods utilizing spiritual energy in this meditation. That in itself is huge, and has nothing to do with the mechanics of routes and points.
My experience with this meditation as given, is that I move from area to area. The experience in each area, is a varying degree of emptiness, and/or a complete immersion or wonderful feeling, of a combiniation of feeling this merging, dispersion, openess, depth, at each area that is complete, as far as me being there, not necessarily seeing or experiencing specifics in reference to points or this route. Like yielding to each area or place, and it being complete. The area seems to expand and touch other areas, so the areas sort of bridge to each other, more in a three dimensional way. Perhaps due to the breathing in from all directions, and in reverse, one's feelings or experience of the area penetrating, or radiating out in all directions. No line or route within that. I do experience the move from area to area, but my focus is that, the area, not the route, and this repeating immersion, merging, and depth of feeling, relative to the area. As I go forward to each area, it is a very smooth moving or shift to the next area, and that focus on the area moving the energy there, from the previous area. Like walking across a stream with rocks sticking above the water. I move from rock to rock, and pause at each rock , become still, and merge with the sound of the water, hear the wind, feel the sun, etc., breath in the energy, expanding, merging, emptiness... Each pause(although there is movement within that) or place is wonderful. If I look at this example, and then start stepping down into the water, and follow a line from rock to rock, and stand on a specific point on the rock, it starts to become more rigid and linear, and my feet get wet! The in between part becomes too much of my experience. The best part is what I feel at each area, and moving my focus from one area to the next, and maybe feeling the energy drawn to the area, from the last area, but more so, a repeated immersion into a level of emptiness. Breathing slowly, makes each area even more expansively experienced, becoming everything I experience, again, not a sense of linear progression through accupuncture points along lines. As far as concerns of a blockage somewhere in all this, that concern serves as no help. Simply focusing on the method as given and doing it. Doing the exercise, transforms you, in regards to healing and opening up. The energy flow increases, the flow opens things up. You could view it like water again, and a river or stream. As the water level rises or the flow increases, more debri gets swept away.
Even this view is still limited, regarding the spiritual energy aspect. I see no direction or shape to that, no physical limitations, and as opposed to a directional flow and effect regarding a blockage, more a 'transformation' of everything. Transformation , say, is different to me, rather than the mechanics of locating and removing a specific blockage. Just light, or just sound, feeling, transformation. Like merging with something to change everything, as opposed to specific points, or specific blockages, as focus's. You let the energy do its thing. You yield, relax, relax, relax, merge, you open up , blockages release as you both expand , open up, and also have greater sense of a depth reached in an area, effecting deeper things.
There is nothing wrong with viewing oneself completely within this meditation, periodically, or whenever, as perhaps an inner universe, these areas as energy orbs or planets, or stars within an inner universe,,,,or candle/candle flames all burning simultaneously, as you perhaps step back and view the whole thing. The experience at each area is more the experience of the exercise for me, with each area involving a similarity of process, but perhaps having a specific quality. Say the heart area having a different feeling than the lower dan tien, or the throat area, etc. They reference different aspects of self, physical, feeling, even karmic release.
If one has specific physical blockages you are focused on, the exercise can be utilized moved closer to that specific. Infusing that part of the body, relative to the blockage, with all this wonderful energy, with the conscious intention of bringing healing energy to that physical proximity. On the other end, maybe experiencing the whole of the moving from area to area like a soothing, smooth mantra that takes you into emptiness , with no awareness of specifics, coming back from emptiness here and there, or not, re-emerging into the flow of the exercise and then returning to emptiness again..
I have babbled on here, but hopefully, addressed your post! From a postion of having some experience, I can't emphasize how wonderful Master Lin's version of this traditional exercise is.
love,
gallen

#52915 12/28/05 06:03 AM

I guess my question is sort of related to this "tongue needing to touch the roof of the mouth" thing, and I understand what you are trying to get at, Gallen, but for a beginner at Qigong (yet quite experienced in other forms of meditation), I'm having difficulty with this one particular area.

The reason: I wear dentures. They definitely would pose a blockage to the free flow of energy, I would think. I asked a friend who is now in level 2 and they indicated just to think of it in terms of "good, better, best", but I'm wondering if it would be better/best, to get the proper "contact" that I remove my dentures while doing the Qigong meditations and exercises. I'd not have a problem with it while doing them alone - just if I were to attend a retreat later. Still, some input from the more advanced on the relative, or not relative, importance of this, would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Unis

#52916 12/28/05 12:54 PM

Gallen
Just wanted to thank you for that post. It is very helpful and written with such heart. Thanks for all of the help you provide--it is much appreciated.

#52917 12/28/05 04:07 PM

Hi,
Regarding dentures...
Say you are sitting on your couch. Your feet are underneath the coffee table. You point your sword fingers at your foot to clear a blockage...
Does the energy reach your foot, or does the table block the qi?
You can, easily clear the foot. The energy you are projecting through your sword fingers is the same energy moving in small universe. I don't see dentures blocking energy flow.
It is fun to try this type of exercise. Say, hold your hand under a table surface with an open palm. With your other hand, point your sword fingers at that palm and draw a circular pattern on the palm. Keep circling it and see if you can feel the energy. Stay relaxed and open..
There are times in small universe where I clearly feel energy in the areas of focus, and times that I don't. I feel great benefit from the exercise, either way. The physical sensations seem to come more when I am at a higher level within my own practice, or have stored more energy to move around. The tongue connection has never been a concern in my own practice. I just focus on the areas, and I have never thought about it. It is good to remember that the mind moves the energy. Move from the third eye area, to the throat. You don't have to track through the middle of that and check the tongue connection/feeling.
You move from focus area to focus area, and 'lead' the qi. The energy follows your lead.
The ability to do long distance healing, also shows us that energy travels, unhindered by physical objects between us and who we are helping.
love,
gallen

#52918 12/28/05 10:01 PM

Thanks, Gallen, for your comments.

I'm still not feeling anything at all doing the Sword Fingers - not even tingling with the fingers held half-inch from the palm, so I'm having a bit of trouble even considering how it would feel with a table in the way of the energy flow. The only sensation (or lack of) I get is my hand falling asleep from being held up. My lack of being able to visualize light flowing from the fingers is probably part of the problem. I'm terribly analytical, and generally "feel" things (if there's something there to feel), but rarely do I get anything but a blank, black screen when my eyes are closed. It's like my eyes, opened, can see exactly what IS there, no more or less, and the switch get's turned off when they are closed.

I really envy people who get all these great visuals. Even the courses where they tell you to "remember" something from the past to get the visuals flowing don't seem to work for me - I can tell you how I felt about it, but for the life of me, don't ask me what colour top I had on, or to describe the surrounding area, because it's just not there!

I do feel energy in my head, however, when doing the meditations - but I really wanted to make sure that nothing was creating blocked flows of energy, therefore not creating problems of energy blockages going somewhere else into my body because the dentures might get in the way.

Thanks,

Unis

#52919 12/28/05 11:24 PM

Unis,
My apologies,,,
I went from small universe and dentures to testing qi and long distance healing! At least I didn't have you do the standing on one leg while whistling "Back to the Universe" version of this qi test.

Nothing you are doing is creating blocked flows of energy, or creating problems elsewhere due to dentures being in the way.

I am quite sure there are several past posts on visualizing, and on sensing or feeling qi.
love,
gallen

#52920 01/02/06 11:03 AM
purjo Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Gallen,

And thanks for your answer! (Sorry for the late reply, I didn't have Internet during holidays)

I still feel this question is important to me. Which probably means I have not got the whole answer yet.? I feel I have some difficulties following your thoughts... You see, sometimes it is not easy to put in words such things that have no names... It's more like I say something in words and it is only partly related to the phenomenon behind it, because words are not the most suitable way to describe it. And I'm not interested in semantics but the phenomenon itself. If you get what I mean. ... Yeah, it's contradictory to ask something and in the same time say it's not actually what I'm asking... I guess I'm asking anyone to use their intuition more than anything? Also, I guess, I'll reread your answer. It may contain several answers..

-purjo

#52921 01/02/06 10:00 PM

Hi Purjo,
It 'is' difficult to put language to what we experience.
I didn't address that part of your original post, that you find yourself still left with! I didn't go there.
There is further understanding to gain from within, through the process of your practice.
I liked reading the recent post by delacy in regards to what I am saying here. Insight and understanding, greater awareness, , all benefits to practice. We are our own source of wisdom and truth, and our practice connects us to that. Going back to your practice, in the purest sense, is always a good course of action.

love,
gallen

[This message has been edited by Shawn_Grim (edited January 16, 2006).]

#52922 01/03/06 09:40 AM
purjo Offline OP
OP Offline

[This message has been edited by purjo (edited January 16, 2006).]

Moderated by  Shawn_Grim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved