Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#53216 02/13/06 09:45 PM
OP Offline

I am new to SFQ and am having a tough time trying to relax during the exercises. The reason I decided to start SFQ was I thought it would help overcome a tightening or constriction of my face. This happens when I try watching TV, reading, driving or just relaxing. As long as I keep my mind active as in singing, talking or something physical it's all right but the minute I stop the tighening begins. Trying to do the exercises is almost excruciating as my face won't relax enough to let me follow along with the lesson. Even trying deep beathing can be difficult. So I must talk constantly which seems contradictory. Sounds crazy I know but does anyone have any ideas?

Also is there anyone from the Vancouver BC area that might be interested in starting a group get together.

#53217 02/13/06 11:16 PM

My best advice is to just do the exersizes(and meditation). Have faith that they will fix whatever needs fixing and be patient. It is easy to over think this stuff, particularly for us "westerners". Just do what you can and in time you will feel better.

RodB

#53218 02/14/06 02:56 AM

I'm not diagnosing here, but have you considered glasses? I'm at that age where I may soon have to get them or longer arms. I find that my face tightens very much during the same sort of activities as you've described. Just and idea.

However, when it comes to meditations, I have the opposite reaction. Once I close my eyes and start relaxing into a meditation my face begins to relax. Even before I start the meditation, my face starts relaxing. It continues to relax; almost in steps sometimes. Big reductions then relax and then some more. Instead a slower releasing action.

I can direct the relaxation with my thoughts. "Speaking in my mind" as Master Lin might say. I always find it helpful to synchronize the Relax thought with an exhale.

With practice it will work for you too. Maybe try working on a muscle you can consciously relax. Using it's behaviour as a good example for your face.

Another thought, just occured to me. That some people will "screw-up" their face when they try visualize, just as they would do if they were trying to SEE it. Maybe try the facial relaxation as a lying in the sun and getting a nice "safe" tan. Let the warmth of the sun, and the nothing to do attitude, melt the tension from your face.

You are perfection.
Iam2

#53219 02/14/06 10:27 PM
Learning Strategies
Learning Strategies

Aloha The Rose,

Welcome to Spring Forest Qigong and this Forum. We all start somewhere-and Spring Forest Qigong has helped many people wanting to release stress and heal the body in so many ways. I'm glad you are willing to take the steps needed to help yourself.

As Master Lin gets you ready for the active exercises, you close your eyes and take three easy breaths. You can notice your heart rate slowing down as well as you breathing.

When you start moving your hands up and down along the center of your body and the energy column, allow yourself to feel the energy from your palms as they move across your face.

With each passing over your face, the energy in your palms is relaxing and healing the skin, muscles, and tissues of your face right down to the bone.

You can relax, enjoy, and be present to that feeling for as long as you'd like.

Students find the Self Concentration exercise on CD #6 helpful in relaxing the body, and becoming more and more relaxed and comfortable with just being.

Iam2 ...that sounded like something we'd hear Alex chime in with. Thanks for the that possibility.

Much Love, Shawn

Moderated by  Shawn_Grim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved