Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

I am nodding off when I do the small universe. I am not even able to make it around once without losing track and I am even experiencing my body jerk back to awareness sometimes between one point and another. I am doing the hour long cd and I am having these problems almost from the first round.

When I first started doing the small universe I could sit through the whole half hour tape and not lose track. I also felt I was getting into some deep work.

Another problem I am having is a lot of pain in my upper back as sit. Any comments on either of these situations would be most appreciated.

Learning Strategies
Learning Strategies

Aloha Artimuse,

Getting enough sleep?

The "drifting" can be from a lot of things. This all changes as you do the work. Be okay with the drifting and resume as you would if a "grocery list item came to mind during a meditation.

Bending forward with a slight bend in your spine and patting your tail bone/sacrum area for 2-3 minutes before and after your exercises/meditations can help open up the sacral area.

Much Love, Shawn

OP Offline

Thank you Shawn for your response. Yes it is true that I am a little on the tired side. I shall try to get to bed earlier.

Is opening up the sacrum supposed to help with the pain in the uppper back? Or will it help with my posture so that I can sit in a way that will help my back?

I am sitting on a chair most of the time. I have been trying to sit with my legs crossed but I have been unable to do it for more then fifteen minutes so far. Oddly enough even though am unable to sit with my back completely straight with my legs crossed. I feel no pain in my upper back. It seems to be only when I am sitting straight in a chair.

Thanks again for your attention to this matter.

Artimuse, I'd had both problems in the past. For the falling asleep, I don't worry about it. Just like Shawn suggested. Master Lin says that sleep is when we naturally go into the emptiness. So no harm done, right. However, falling asleep is not the same as my other experiences of drifting into the emptiness while doing the Small Universe. So the best thing to do is get more sleep. It works for me.

As for the sore back, I looked on it in a few ways. One my muscles need to become stronger. The other as a message that my position is not quite right. So I take a little time correcting my posture. I've tried leaning forward, and backwards a little to find the vertical. Tucked that chin in. Imaged a string pulling the top (wisdom tien) of my head up. Imagine my back pressing against a wall. Move the position of my hands on my lap.

It eventually went away..... good luck.

Play with your position a little, but then let it go, and get back into the meditation. Eventually things will go from good to better.

You are perfection.
Iam2

Moderated by  Shawn_Grim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved