Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
mcole Offline OP
OP Offline

Reading that new article at botree.com today was an enlightening experience for me. The following phrase changed my whole outlook on many things and explained things I was confused about for some time:
"Things that survive do so because they are good at surviving."
Just because the school system has survived as it is for so long doesn't prove its superiority! It's amazing also to realize how biological concepts, such as evolution, could be used to explain things in society.

I was wondering what other people got out of that article. I got so much with just one read-throughs. What did you get out of it?

To use the biological analogy: It seems to me that most school systems in America (and elsewhere) are like a paranoid convict who has survived in the wilderness for days on end, yet who is in no way good, effective, or happy. Perhaps that is a bit of an exageration, but the point I'm trying to make is that the schools are mearly surviving, not flourishing. And lack of money is not the problem! The Greeks learned well without technology!

To mcole:
Unhappily, I didn't read the article you mentioned, but that won't stop me from replying to your posting!
I blame permissive education for the failure. I got a great public school education in the sixies & early seventies. We were required to read aloud in class starting in first grade, everyone learned to read & was required to read outside material & report on it in class. We had a concentrated math program. No calculators allowed, you memorized multiplication tables, algebra was required in 7th grade. Even tho I've never used my algebra, I can add, subtract, multiply & divide withiut technological support, that's more than I can say for most cashiers. We were also required to study a forgein language & world history, art music & science. There were no elective classes until basic requirements had been filled. Everyone had to be on campus & accountable from 8:15 to 3:15, no exceptions. Teachers were respected and dicipline was expected if people didn't behave accordingly. My long winded point is; permissive behavior & politically correct rhetoric have done this country no favors. There are basic things that need to be learned in school in order to give our society a chance at being on the cutting edge scientifically, intellectually, technologically. There are certain things that everybody has aright to learn in order to give our society a common ground, common reference. I'm not suggesting that Spanish or Asian speaking people or any people for that matter give up their language or culture. I am mearly stating what to me is obvious. Our kids can't read or do math. They don't know anything about history. An ignorant people are easier to controll than a well educated populace who can think and extrapolate for themselves. The cultural revolution of the 60's took place largely on college campuses, what does that tell you?
One other point, you said you didn't think money was the problem. Chicago public schools, case in point. Money is a necessary evil, physical infrastructure, textbook purchase, computer purchase, internet access, to say nothing of staff & teacher salaries all cost more than the school systems have? Important questions to ask: What motivation do people have to teach? Why are the people responsible for molding future generations (teachers, parents, child care workers) given so little support? Wouldn't you think the corporations who will need these future workers would take more of an interest in their developement? Sorry if this sounds like a rant, but I am a very passionate person. Thankyou, Lizzy G

The deterioration in the public schools came after the 60's radicalism sprung from the colleges. The rich only want workers who are technically competent, not really able to criticaly think. The media allow "free speech" and debate about hot button social issues like abortion, while making sure any real study of the finacial workings of our society are a mystery to the average person.
Look for books on consitutional law and history in your local public library. 70 years ago they were a features shelf of books. Friends of mine are collecting them from estate sales. Look for them in the book stores. It is not a lack of demand, it is a deliberate effort to dumb down Americans to their rights. It not taught in the schools either. When the average american can not say what is in the constitution, he won't camplain if it is violated.

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved