Visualization is more about memory I think. Its about being able to recall sensations, and mold them into desired outcomes. All thoughts turn into things, whether they be postive thoughts or negative. So there really never is a timeout from creation.

To build your sensory recall with NLP, try these exercises each a minimum of 25 seconds with your eyes closed. By looking up and to your left you be able to recall visual images, look down and to your left and you will recall sounds, look down to your right you will recall touch sensations(and also I have heard you can access emotions here too) up and to the right new visual images that have not yet been experienced (for example if you want to see pink elephants) straight down you will access touch and smell, look straight and to the right to access new sounds, to recall auditory memory look straight and to the left.

Now this has worked for me everytime.

When you visulize, what you are trying to do is impress the subconscious mind with your idea. So to start the ball rolling, what is your idea that you are trying to convey to your subconscious mind? After you dwell on that idea, images and sensations will seem to come up naturally. Force will not accomplish anything, it needs to be an experience. To actually exit your 3rd dimensional world and live in the world of your mind.

The whole key is to live your image. Live it with a curiosity, asking your self what does it look like what does it feel like. What smells convey my image. Dwell on sensations.

There isn't really alot of good books on there on visualizing, they tell you to visualize but not how to.

When I first started I would see blury, scattered images of what I desired, and would wonder why I am spinning my wheels, but then with little peices of knowldege I cultivated my mind, and now I have no problem.