Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#12479 11/07/02 10:08 AM
Hornet Offline OP
OP Offline

Paul I have a question for you about an earlier post you said:

Our job is to also run interference so that the school system does not "de-genius" them.

I'm 15 and am still doing school and my question is how does the school system "de-genius" it's students?

Thankyou for your valuable time,

Hornet.

#12480 11/07/02 10:44 PM

The expectation is to accept facts without questioning them. The US School system is more about *absorbing data* than it is *understanding information.*

On top of this is the culture of violence and domination, where school becomes associated with pain and humiliation, rather than with the joys of learning new things and taking pleasure in knowing what you know.

What can I say, I'm a jaded ex-eduction major.

#12481 12/13/02 12:57 AM

Hi. I'm 13 and I take a few courses at a near by university. I'm considered "Gifted" but on this forum you have designated "Genius" for children like me. Technically, the correct label is "Gifted".

I would like to comment on the fact that Gifted children tend to use the other 90% of their brain. According to a recent scientific study, it was concluded that the brain can rewire itself. So my question is, is it possible to rewire oneself and become profoundly gifted?
If you wish to learn more about gifted children, go to www.nfgcc.org.

-Gotenks [ )]

#12482 12/13/02 02:17 AM

This is a perfect arguement for Homeschooling
your children. The U.S. education system, while we have good colleges and universities, our grade schools are not up to standards.

#12483 12/13/02 02:41 AM
Hornet Offline OP
OP Offline

I totally agree with you there Andreas. Homeschooling is in everyway or just about everyway more superior to government schooling.

I have become very interested in the infomation on the website Gotenks pointed me to which was the characteristics of gifted children.

A. High sensitivity

B. Excessive amounts of energy.

C. Bores easily and may appear to have a short attention span.

D. Requires emotionally stable and secure adults around him/her.

E. Will resist authority if it not democratically oriented.

F. Have preferred ways of learning; particularly in reading and mathematics.

G. May become easily frustrated because of his/her big ideas and not having the resources or people to assist him/her in carrying these tasks to fruition.

H. Learns from an exploratory level and resists rote memory and just being a listener.

I. Cannot sit still unless absorbed in something of his/her own interest.

J. Very compassionate and has many fears such as death and loss of loved ones.

K. If they experience failure early, may give up and develop permanent learning blocks.

Gifted children may also withdraw when they feel threatened or alienated and may sacrifice their creativity in order to "belong". Many children that we test exhibit a high IQ, but they often exhibit "frozen" creativity as well. Often there is an ability to express their feelings initially. We work to assist the child to become open, flexible and to be able to accept failure by developing higher frustration levels.

The National Foundation for Gifted and Creative Children

What interests me is that I used to have most if not ALL of these characteristics when I was younger. Like just five years ago, (I'm around 14) but for some reason I don't have them now. I remember they felt natural for me. But I think I lost them when people were telling me that my characteristics were undesirable. "You have a short attention span, you don't listen, your too sensitive"
And in highschool it gets even better (I'm being sarcastic) when your forced to sit still and listen to teachers' boring drivel for at least 6 hours.

Interesting.

Thankyou for your valuable time.

Hornet.

[This message has been edited by Hornet (edited December 12, 2002).]

#12484 12/13/02 05:42 AM

I'm very sensitive(I cry at almost everything that's sad or touching) and everyone tells me not to be that way but I can't help it. I think that it is possible to suppose that the brain begins to develop differently once you become a teen.
But I must say, missing a few characteristcs doesn't necessecirally mean youre not gifted. I started this sort of discussion on another forum and one reply really was full of truth. The person suggested that teachers tend to encourage the gifted or acedemically successesful more than they encourage the "low achievers". This of course is a general assumption.

-Gotenks

#12485 12/13/02 02:58 PM

When I was in elementary school, I was considered gifted. Could do a math problem in a minute, while everyone took half an hour, knew the short-cut to everything, one of the creative writing in the class, etc.
Then as I got older, I became more dumber.

#12486 12/14/02 12:04 AM

WHAT!? I don't believe you. How can you possibly get dumber the older you get? I'm pretty sure....maybe you're in a homogeneus enviroment? I've been getting smarter as I've been getting older; when i was a kid a few years ago, i was limited to astronomical knowledge; now theoretical astrophysics is my specialty. I get so much better in math
every year.
-Gotenks

#12487 12/14/02 02:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Gotenks:
WHAT!? I don't believe you. How can you possibly get dumber the older you get? I'm pretty sure....maybe you're in a homogeneus enviroment? I've been getting smarter as I've been getting older; when i was a kid a few years ago, i was limited to astronomical knowledge; now theoretical astrophysics is my specialty. I get so much better in math
every year.
-Gotenks

Every child starts out with High I.Q.'s,
but once they go to schools(public) they learn to stifle their creativity and just do what the teacher says, bellieve that the teachers way is the only way to do things. We aren't allowed to think things out for ourselves in public schools, we aren't allowed creativity. We are just told what to believe.

[This message has been edited by jonah (edited December 14, 2002).]

#12488 12/14/02 09:40 PM

not necessarilly. some kids can be encouraged to continue being creative outside of school. besides, does being gifted tend to revolve around your creative side?

-Gotenks

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved