Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#15067 07/21/04 01:59 PM

Here's my two-bucks,

Within the past couple of years, a buddy of mine and I have:

- Participated and repeated the Silva Basic course
- Purchased and gone through the basic homestudy course
- Attended & particpated in the Silva UltraMind course, as well as, own and gone through the homestudy version of this program
- Bought and read numerous books on Silva, including the most recent book by Burt Goldman

Well, after all is said and done, all we have to show for our time, effort and money is...nada, zippo. I mean, sure, we know how to get to and stay at level, do the formula techniques, etc., but in terms of programming and successfully manifesting short & long-term goals via Mirror of the Mind, Three-Scene & Mental Video techniques, well, the results, IF ANY, have been very, very dismal.

My budddy and I have consulted with each other, have consulted with others via email, phone and in person and after 2 years of consistent practice and study, we've concluded that this method does not deliver as promised. Don't get me wrong, the Silva method is very good for one learning how to relax and experience a meditative state to relieve stress, but from our experience it doesn't live up to all the claims we've read and heard about. As a result, this past Friday at dinner, my friend and I unanimously decided that Silva is out and therefore, we're moving on to other things.

#15068 07/29/04 02:45 PM
OP Offline

Hi Webcrawler,

Thanks for your feedback. I can understand your frustration after spending two years doing consistent daily practice (I assume that you mean practicing everyday and not just regularly one to two times a week?) that you should be dissappointed with the method.

It is good that you have learned to get into state - this is really the most important aspect of the method - learning to use mental tools that enable you to control your state. So you certainly have gained from the experience.

It is interesting how modern marketing promotes such an "instant results" culture for the sake of sales that it really does a disservice to people who are really seeking to develop themselves.

In the past, when you would seek to learn about these sorts of things, you had to first find someone who had real knowledge of the subject - no easy task, and this would weed out many of the curiosity seekers. Then, when you did find someone capable of teaching you, there often would be a probationary period imposed. This was for the sake of your own development - it takes an iron resolve to master such things (and certainly the power of manifestation would be such a special thing), and you would be learning lots of foundational things that you would at that time be taking for granted because you wanted "to get to the real stuff". This again would weed out those who didn't have the correct attitude and resolve for this line of work. To really open those doors it takes the attitude - "If it takes 5 years, ten years, 20 years...if I have to continue for the rest of my life without any apparent results, then so be it." This obviously doesn't jibe with the current trend in the marketing of such programs.

Basically the programs are sound, but their marketing is not.

Moving from one program to another looking for the one that will give you short-term results is a real trap. You have to simply pick one system and continue working faithfully with it into the future without any kind of thought in the back of your mind - "Just one more year and if I don't see results then this is a bunch of bunk." If you will take this approach, most of the systems out there will work. It probably won't take the rest of your life to see results, but you have to have taken on this attitude of iron resolve and committment before real progress will be open to you.

This is actually the key to lasting intimate relationships as well. People move from one relationship to another (one system to another) looking for the right one. They are always looking and never truly engaged and committed. The paradox is that you will not find the right one until you completely engage and commit yourself.

I speak from experience here - and I know that the skeptics will say that adopting the attitude that I suggest is playing yourself for a fool and opening yourself up to every scam out there. However, I have achieved results (phenomenal results) in every system that I have worked with. I have taken the long path of many years of faithful daily practice of meditation and service. I do not conjecture - I know because I have done the experiment for myself.

Two years to get a good foundation is a start - you were possibly just nearing the portal of true progress. I imagine that you may have been hovering about it for some time. I imagine that there are certain attitudes that will need to adjust, certain ideas that will need to be shed before you will fit through that door. You can move from one system to the next, but that obstacle will follow you whereever you go because it is internal.

I really feel for you and others who have been misled by the marketing around these various programs. Pretty much all of these systems can work, but the marketing is misleading. The people working these systems know that they work and that they will work very quickly for a select number of people. They try to get testimonials from this special group that sees very quick and phenomenal results. This won't be the case for the majority who lack the resolve to really do the needed work or who have certain mental blockages to success which will need to be dealt with before true progress can begin.

#15069 07/30/04 02:13 AM

Silva method and success:
About 10 years ago I studied the basic Silva method and did get real, concrete results. It was one of the first self improvement methods I ever tried, and my faith in the program (and therefore myself) may have had a lot to do with it. My goals were a little odd: 1) a computer at a price I could afford (free), 2) a new mini-van when I had no money, and 3) financial independence. I achieved goals 1 and 2, although it took a total of 4-5 months to do it. Goal #3 didn't happen, I got a lot of discouraging feedback from people trying to "help", and I finally quit. I lost faith in myself. I've never had results like that since, with Silva or any other method.

I've known people who didn't like the Silva method--I think the wording didn't resonant with them. Different people respond to different words. I know I've tried some other programs and found they had word choices that turned me off--things like using the word "believe". To me, "believe" implies thinking something is true/will happen, but never having the proof. When one has proof, one no longer believes, one knows. So the phrase "Believe in myself" translates to "Think I can do it, but never see the results to confirm it."

So, that's my blurb. Silva works, but it may not be for everyone, all the time. livingsuccess has a point about "instant results". These days, I feel pulled so many different directions that if I don't see some encouraging signs within 2-3 weeks, I think I can't do it and that I'm wasting my time. I'd like to get back into Silva...

#15070 07/30/04 04:02 PM
OP Offline

benewme - I think you may really be onto something!

You said:

"I lost faith in myself. I've never had results like that since... ...[certain] word choices that turned me off--things like using the word "believe". To me, "believe" implies thinking something is true/will happen, but never having the proof. When one has proof, one no longer believes, one knows. So the phrase "Believe in myself" translates to "Think I can do it, but never see the results to confirm it."

Now you might really get some power from Socrates' "Know Thyself", instead of "believe in yourself". All that we have is our Self. Anything that can be known can only become known through that Self. The only true knowledge is Self knowledge.

Go for it!

[This message has been edited by livingsuccess (edited July 30, 2004).]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved